Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
russcc

Default H&C ignition

Trying to figure out what a H&C crab type distributor cap looks like. Anyone have an original they could post a picture of. Thank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: H&C ignition

It is just the old style crab cap. They had the lead from the coil mostly on the outside of the cap with a big bulge. The later production caps have a lower bulge but a hump inside the cap. The later ones do not clear the rotor.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

A picture or two here.....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ighlight=BUBBA
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

It is just an original Ford style cap with the new wiring order melted into the cap - probably done with a set of heated numeric punches (at least that is what they look like to me). You do need an original style cap with the 'Big Hump' for the coil conductor channel. If you run one of the cheap repop caps with the hump on the inside, you can ruin the rotor . . . and you'll never find another rotor!

Points can be purchased new - they are an aircraft magneto part. The part that you need to treat like a newborn child is the rotor (as noted above). No matter what you have, make sure you have the distributor tested, advance checked out and vacuum brake checked out. Also, you'll need to "tune" the vacuum break once it is on the car - every car is a bit different.

See Bubba above, he probably does H&C distributors along with all his other ignitions. Great guy!

Best of luck,
Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

If you need a picture of an original cap - with the new wiring order, let me know - can grab a cap from the shop and post it. You DO NEED to know that the cap is wired differently . . . as the firing switches from side to side (due to the 4 lobe cam and dual coils). Ask me how I know?

Well, then I was 16 years old and built my first big stroker flathead - and was getting ready to fire it for the first time . . . I wired it as you would a stock 21A crab distributor (how the heck was I to know or think to know that the wiring order was different!). So my good ole' hotrod Mom was in the garage - standing by the motor (I had it on a stand with a set of long zoomie pipes).

Cranked the starter, it was popping and farting all over the place . . . let out a huge backfire and blew the dipstick out of the engine and hit Mom square in the chest. Should have seen both our eyeballs pop out of our heads! So - we both decided that something was definitely wrong and then I had to sit down and ponder dual coils . . . figured it out with a piece of paper in 30 minutes or so and rewired it correctly. I didn't have the luxury of having that dang original cap!

Okay - better head out to the shop!

Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote