Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
austin1911

Default Painting Model T

I was wondering on some early T's why are the fenders black with a different color body and some just one color. For example I saw an early 1911 T with two colors and a late 1911 T and 1912 T one color (all touring and at Hershey). Does anyone have an answer for me?
Thanks,
Austin
austin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
CharlieB

Default Re: Painting Model T

What a can of worms you've opened up here. Very earlyest cars had the running gear painted the color of the car. Later cars had the running gear painted black. By running gear I mean Chassis, steering gear, read end etc. Maybe the fenders were considered running gear also with the body color ordered separate. Also some liberties may have been taken upon restoration. All black by 1914.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

No doubt about liberties in the restorations. What I always understood was on the early cars the fenders and gear were black and the body was whatever color you ordered. The only exceptions being the Torpedoes which apparently were painted the same color all over.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
austin1911

Thank you both for the information, it is greatly appreciated!
austin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Otis View Post
No doubt about liberties in the restorations. What I always understood was on the early cars the fenders and gear were black and the body was whatever color you ordered. The only exceptions being the Torpedoes which apparently were painted the same color all over.
John, I believe someone has mislead you. Trent Boggess has researched this extensively along with Bruce. The MTFCI Judging Stds also dispute the early cars had Black fenders & running gear. It only lists them as a possibility. 1911 would have been the first year where the Guidelines say all the frame would have been Black.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 10-12-2010 at 07:54 AM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Roadster62

The 1909-1912 T had a lot of different color options depending on body type. I wonder if anyone has come up with the "Proper" shade of dark blue for the 1912 Touring cars? If you see two or more at a meet none match.

Last edited by Roadster62; 10-11-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
The 1909-1912 T had a lot of different color options depending on body type. I wonder if anyone has come up with the "Proper" shade of dark blue for the 1912 Touring cars? If you see two or more at a meet none match.
Well, technically the 5th Edition of the Judging Guidelines pblished by the Model T Ford Club Int'l gives the acceptable paint code for Midnight Blue as DuPont 81501A. It prefaces this by stating;

Original Model T Ford paint colors are all but impossible to duplicate accurately today. The paints used in the very early cars were varnishes and had a relatively short life. This is also true of the later enamels and pyroxylins, although they were a good bit better than the earlier varnishes. Consequently, original cars seen today no longer have the same color they had when they were new. Even today, batches of the same formula will vary in color, and it is certain the variations were even more pronounced more than 60 years ago.

The paints listed below are acceptable equivalents for the original colors. The numbers were collected as a joint effort between the Model T Club of America and the Model T Ford Club International. Their use will be accepted as "authentic" in any judging conducted by either club. These paints are by no means the "only" possibilities, and either club will welcome any additions, comments, or corrections to this list.

While I do not necessarily agree with the statement about paint batches varying today, --or even back then (due to M-Specs data found in Bensen archives), it allows for some deviation or lattitude regarding the colors accepted.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Roadster62

Thanks Brent, at least there is a mixing number that may work today, if the mixing colors are still available.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote