Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #21
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Help needed 48 V8 firetruck generator

I can not say for sure this is it as the part numbers do not jive, but the only interchage between Leece-Neville and Echlin for a Voltage regulator is Echlin VR-432. This interchanges with Leece Neville part number 79000. Rod
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Rowdy
BANNED

After doing a quick web search I think you may need to find someone with a slightly older parts interchange book for this one, but I will see what I can do. Rod
Old 09-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
Kurt in NJ

To me it looks like an what is now called an alternator ---1,2,3 connections to the rectifier from the stator, the 2 on the end for sliprings for the rotor---the regulator in the picture --that I don't remember ----I owned a setup like that for a while ---there was a screened box that held 3 large selinum rectifiers (look like a stack of square fins)----

You could probably find a diode block for a modern alternator and hang it on a bracket--someplace with good airflow--perhaps there is a place on the back, for a regulator one from a modern alternator could be wired in----the back housing from a delco alternator could be used to see if it would work
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
Rowdy
BANNED

As a last resort, even though it is not a bad idea. See if Wilson can rebuild this one. I had them rewind some early 28 starter armeratures for me and was pretty happy with them. Link below. Rod

https://www.wilsonrebuilder.com/comp...age-regulators
Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Bob C

Here's one on Epay http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEECE-NEVILL...9429b1&vxp=mtr

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #26
Bob C

Did they ever come up with anything??

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #27
dmet

This is dmet, I am the guy that Dick Webber started the thread for, thanks for all of the messages. FYI it is a generator, if we can rebuild the regulator we have we will try that, also will check with Napa to see if the echlin number is still good.
The local Votech auto shop is doing this project for a patron, I got involved re my experience as an apparatus service tech. Thanks, please continue to update thread with new info as you find it.
dmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #28
koates

Hi there, I have been an auto electrician for over 50 years and what I see in your photo is an ALTERNATOR and not a generator. Kurt in NJ has also stated this. The three terminals on top are the connections for the three phases on the stator windings which may connect to a separate outside rectifier diode set but I don't think so as there is only one wire on these 3 terminals which may be a trigger wire for a tachometer. the rectifier diode block is probally inside the alternator. The other two wires on the smaller diameter at the rear are connected to the rotor slip ring brushes. That regulator photo shows two relays inside. One is the voltage regulator and the other is a relay to supply ignition power to excite the field winding (rotor) it get it charging, just like when priming a water pump to get it to pump. You should take the alternator to an auto electrical shop and get them to run it up in their test bench. The should be able to supply a voltage reg to suit it. Don't mess with it yourself,get an expert to sort it out properly. Later versions of these Leece-Neville alternators had inbuilt electronic voltage regulators fitted. They were very common on trucks and not hard to find. That alternator was not an original fitment to a 1948 ford V8 fire truck it was an upgrade fitted in the 1960s or 70s. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #29
koates

Just to add to the above post, usually a generator voltage regulator has three relays inside it. A cut out, a voltage regulator and a current regulator. Your pictured voltage regulator is an alternator type with two relays, one a voltage regulator and the other an ignition supply relay. Some early alternators were still called generators as in your case which adds to the confusion. I did note the voltage listed on the ID plate seems to read
70 volts which is a bit strange, or is it 10 volts ??? Is the electrical system on the truck 6 volts or 12 volts or maybe even 24 volts ? Regards, Kevin.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
rotorwrench

The "0" (zero) in the voltage stamp may be 7.0 and the zero looks a bit larger than the number 7 character. I sure don't know of any 70-volt systems. They would have had to step the voltage down to work with the lights & gauges & stuff but that would make any sense for practical purposes.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-05-2013 at 05:18 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #31
G.M.

I was up in the attic of the garage looking for a long push rod and ran across a large Delco Remy generator in a box I forgot about. It looks to be about 6"s in diameter and 10 or 11" long. Has a small diameter pulley and the mount on the front has the holes for a 1948 fan bracket. If someone has a use email me. g.mitchell@fordsrus.com G.M.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #32
koates

Rotorwrench, Yep I think you are right on that voltage reg marking. It seems to be 7.0 volts which would be correct for a 6.0 volt system. That DOT is a little hard to see. I remember in the early 1960s working on army landrovers which were radio signals units. They were equipped with alternators which had large plate rectifiers mounted in front of the radiator behind the mesh grille so as to have air flow cooling them. That early Leece-Neville alternator could have had something like that fitted, but I still think is is more likely to have diode rectifiers inside it. Regards, Kevin.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
rotorwrench

Those selenium rectifiers were popular back in the day. Everything from motorcycle alternators to the big ground power units that dropped 220 voltage to 24 and turned AC current to DC for starting big aircraft. Those power units had huge selenium rectifier bridges in them.

I know FoMoCo had 60 amp generators back in the day but they were oversized. They are a lot bigger than a standard 35 amp. Lincolns usually had the bigger 40 amp set up but most of the big trucks had the 60s to run all the lights (clearance lights). Police cars sometimes have big generators to run emergency lights, sirens, and those huge Motorola radio sets that weighed a ton.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote