Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Afordman31
Senior Member
 
Afordman31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 517
Default Ignition points

Anyone have a cross reference for breaker points for 1937 to 1940 Ford distributor? Wondering if I can get them local. Thanks
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
cmbrucew
Senior Member
 
cmbrucew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North of sandy ago, CA.
Posts: 1,767
Default Re: Ignition points

37 to 41 Ford V8 is CS47 Echlin at Napa Auto Parts.


Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Echlin Page 001.jpg (52.5 KB, 33 views)
__________________
Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #3
Afordman31
Senior Member
 
Afordman31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 517
Default Re: Ignition points

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
37 to 41 Ford V8 is CS47 Echlin at Napa Auto Parts.


Bruce
Thank you Bruce, much appreciated!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
35fordtn
Senior Member
 
35fordtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McMinnville, TN
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: Ignition points

Standard owns echlin and the standard Motor products number is Fd6770. Usually available at any big chain store
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
Afordman31
Senior Member
 
Afordman31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 517
Default Re: Ignition points

Thank you also! 35fordtn
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 3,786
Default Re: Ignition points

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Standard owns echlin and the standard Motor products number is Fd6770. Usually available at any big chain store
Got to be carefull with the change in Standard , the actual standard point set can be a cheaper set of contacts. Standard offers a couple grades of points and the lower set is NOT the Echlin set. I buy these 10-12 sets at a time from napa and often have to return the cheaper (standard) set for exchange to the Echlin all in the same box...

The Echlin set has a double spring arrangement with a brass strap and a spring . The cheaper set doesnt usually have the brass strap , just a steel spring by its self.....
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
35fordtn
Senior Member
 
35fordtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McMinnville, TN
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: Ignition points

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Got to be carefull with the change in Standard , the actual standard point set can be a cheaper set of contacts. Standard offers a couple grades of points and the lower set is NOT the Echlin set. I buy these 10-12 sets at a time from napa and often have to return the cheaper (standard) set for exchange to the Echlin all in the same box...

The Echlin set has a double spring arrangement with a brass strap and a spring . The cheaper set doesnt usually have the brass strap , just a steel spring by its self.....
Jim currently standard only has the standard line, the days of cheap blue streak are gone. I too had to return some echlin sets due to weak spring tension. Since I have been using standard Fd6770 I have NEVER had to return any. We sold and used 54 sets this month alone. This all tells me it’s a echlin issue not a standard issue. A good set of fd6770 and a good set of cs47 both have the same spring tension. The only issue with some of the older stock 6770’s is the LH stationary point needs to be adjusted (bent) slightly. That’s my opinion only, the echlins I bought at my Napa were not satisfying to me and seemed to be old stock. I buy the 6770’s from rockauto.com,
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 3,786
Default Re: Ignition points

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Jim currently standard only has the standard line, the days of cheap blue streak are gone. I too had to return some echlin sets due to weak spring tension. Since I have been using standard Fd6770 I have NEVER had to return any. We sold and used 54 sets this month alone. This all tells me itís a echlin issue not a standard issue. A good set of fd6770 and a good set of cs47 both have the same spring tension. The only issue with some of the older stock 6770ís is the LH stationary point needs to be adjusted (bent) slightly. Thatís my opinion only, the echlins I bought at my Napa were not satisfying to me and seemed to be old stock. I buy the 6770ís from rockauto.com,

WOW two different worlds i guess , my local supplier still offers some blue streak (lower priced) stuff and i just yesterday afternoon picked up a few boxes of the CS47s ( from napa)that were reboxed Standard stuff...

i really understand the reasoning as i have worked for both companies over the years as a rep and trainer as well..... Anyway my orginal point (which seems pointless ) for this post still stands "be carefull""""...

I will call you first of week as i need some parts.....
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
35fordtn
Senior Member
 
35fordtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McMinnville, TN
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: Ignition points

Ahh I see blue streak is still around!! Maybe there are accidentally slipping some blue streaks into echlin boxes?
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #10
BUBBAS IGNITION
Senior Member
 
BUBBAS IGNITION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SPEEDWAY INDIANA
Posts: 3,786
Default Re: Ignition points

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Ahh I see blue streak is still around!! Maybe there are accidentally slipping some blue streaks into echlin boxes?
"Grass hopper" you need to listen to us old guys more often.......
__________________
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbasignition.com
jimlinder@juno.com
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
35fordtn
Senior Member
 
35fordtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McMinnville, TN
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: Ignition points

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
"Grass hopper" you need to listen to us old guys more often.......
True that but Iíll still stand behind standard products in the red box, NOT the blue box.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.