Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #21
37 Coupe

Default Re: Ebay sales tax in place

I think it will effect more sellers than buyers especially those selling cars.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
1931 flamingo

I'm sure I'm not alone being in CT, but if you have a STATE income tax there's a spot in the forms where you're supposed to declare how much you spent out of state and then add up the tax due to the state in which you're filing. Now that most businesses nationwide are adding your state's sales tax to your total the entry on your state tax forms "should" disappear.
FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I think it will effect more sellers than buyers especially those selling cars.
Sellers don't pay sales tax, buyers pay sales tax.
When a local car dealer sells a car it's the buyers obligation to pay the sales tax (if any), not the dealer.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #24
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
When a local car dealer sells a car it's the buyers obligation to pay the sales tax (if any), not the dealer.
No,what I mean is it is going to be tougher to sell with an added charge. I sold a 1932 Plymouth last year on Ebay and I would not be able to do that again with the state sales tax documented.Just saying how many have honestly paid full tax or an "agreed" to price ?
Old 11-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #25
Dak Rat

Speedway, Jegs, Summit all tack on sales tax now in addition to E-bay. Reminds me of the old Beatles song--Tax Man.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Well in my case, it does by buying local... no sales tax.
If you don't have a local sales tax, then you should not be charged one online, it is a state issue, not the sellers.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #27
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
If you don't have a local sales tax, then you should not be charged one online, it is a state issue, not the sellers.
Correct. If its purchased in delaware.
But if i buy online say, California and shipped to delaware they are gonna charge me California sales tax just like if i drove to a California pepboys and bought air fresheners, right?
Question
Is the seller collecting the sales tax or is ebay? And you know how ebay charges a percentage to the seller for what they charge a buyer for shipping(which is a rip off) plus the commission on the sale. Have they figured out a awy to tack on another fee for the sales tax?
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #28
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
we are bring taxed to death & no body saiys any thing the roads are shot the bridges are falling down & all that goes on in washton is this inpeachment bs
Not to mention the failure to teach English and grammar.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #29
cas3

what the heck, we all knew it was commin, do you think the gubment is going to pass up some easy money?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #30
CHuDWah

I don't like paying sales tax online (or any where else for that matter) but I figured it would happen. But I object to it being charged based on the buyer's state. If I buy something in person in another state, that's where the sale happens and that's the sales tax rate I pay - should be the same online.

Also, my state (and likely others) has different sales tax rates depending on the item purchased, and some items have no tax. Wonder if eBay will collect taxes accordingly?

Last edited by CHuDWah; 11-09-2019 at 05:03 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #31
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
I don't like paying sales tax online (or any where else for that matter) but I figured it would happen. But I object to it being charged based on the buyer's state. If I buy something in person in another state, that's where the sale happens and that's the sales tax rate I pay - should be the same online.
The tax is assessed according to the state where the purchaser lives. It's the court ruling. Right now swap meets are the place to buy, but it probably won't be long before the tax man starts roaming the aisles of the swap meets looking for ways to collect sales tax(especially in California).
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #32
CHuDWah

Quote:

Dunno how all states do it, but I've lived in a couple where the tax was paid when the car was titled. Usually if the dealer handled the paperwork, they collected it and submitted it to the DMV. If not, the buyer paid it direct to the DMV. Either way, I wonder what happens with the DMV if eBay has already collected it?
Old 11-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #33
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The tax is assessed according to the state where the purchaser lives. It's the court ruling. Right now swap meets are the place to buy, but it probably won't be long before the tax man starts roaming the aisles of the swap meets looking for ways to collect sales tax(especially in California).

Yeah, I understand that. But it's inconsistent with in-person sales - that's why I disagree with the way it's assessed.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #34
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Dunno how all states do it, but I've lived in a couple where the tax was paid when the car was titled. Usually if the dealer handled the paperwork, they collected it and submitted it to the DMV. If not, the buyer paid it direct to the DMV. Either way, I wonder what happens with the DMV if eBay has already collected it?
If EBAY collected the tax then it's just a simple matter of presenting a proof of tax payment to the DMV. if the transaction is not already in the system,
And if EBAY does not collect tax on motor vehicles then it is the same as it used to be, payment of tax when applying for Reg./title.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #35
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Correct. If its purchased in delaware.
But if i buy online say, California and shipped to delaware they are gonna charge me California sales tax just like if i drove to a California pepboys and bought air fresheners, right?
Question
Is the seller collecting the sales tax or is ebay? And you know how ebay charges a percentage to the seller for what they charge a buyer for shipping(which is a rip off) plus the commission on the sale. Have they figured out a awy to tack on another fee for the sales tax?
Don't think that is how it works, it is the buyers address (state) that is collecting the tax, not the sellers location. Ebay, etc, is just the go between. The seller that is collecting the tax is ebay on behave of the buyers state and they are the ones who have to pay the state. They are the ones getting screwed over here. They have to handle the transaction without any cut I would guess, just like local merchants.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #36
CHuDWah

Quote:
If EBAY collected the tax then it's just a simple matter of presenting a proof of tax payment to the DMV. if the transaction is not already in the system,
And if EBAY does not collect tax on motor vehicles then it is the same as it used to be, payment of tax when applying for Reg./title.

Uh-huh. And we'll see how that works the next time I go to the DMV...I ain't holding my breath.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #37
cas3

most of the big swap meets have required the vendors to fill out a tax form on entry for several years now.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #38
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Not sure why this is being considered such a big deal. You have to pay the sales tax if you buy local as well. I don't like it, I don't like much of any tax in fact, but it is a state issue, not an ebay issue.
People just like to bitch and moan. Particularly when they're ignorant of the reason or situation.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Is the seller collecting the sales tax or is ebay?
eBay, who then remits payment to the requisite state.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts

Last edited by itslow; 11-09-2019 at 06:53 PM.
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #39
skidmarks

[QUOTE=itslow;1819603]People just like to bitch and moan. Particularly when they're ignorant of the reason or situation.

But if no one bitched about anything, where would we be, And if you dont know the answer to a issue doesnt make someone ignorant.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #40
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Smile Re: Ebay sales tax in place

[QUOTE=skidmarks;1819628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
People just like to bitch and moan. Particularly when they're ignorant of the reason or situation.

But if no one bitched about anything, where would we be, And if you dont know the answer to a issue doesnt make someone ignorant.
Believe that is the definition of ignorant. I know the term is often misused, but it means you don't know something, not that you are stupid. Everyone is ignorant in a lot of areas, but in my case I fall into the stupid category to often as well!!!