Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
Dannerr

Question Weight specifications for my 1930 Model A Tudor

Hi in the barn!

I know, a lot of you guys know almost all there is to know about these cars, so I thought, this would be the place to ask.

For a project on DTU (Danish Technical University - I'm studying to become a mechanical engineer), I need to know the weight specifications for my 1930 Model A Tudor, especially the weight distribution on the front and rear axles, and the center of gravity.

Tried to ask on an open house night in the Danish Ford A club (dfak.dk), but none of those, who were there that night, knew where I could find anything.

I could of course spend $500-$1000 to have it weight, but that's money, I'd rather use on the car!

Can anyone help me? Do you know, where I can find it? Anything will help!

Kind regards, and keep 'em kruzin! Dannerr
Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
skip
Banned

Default Re: Weight specifications for my 1930 Model A Tudor

1930 Tudor Sedan from the chart below.: 2375 lbs. 1,079.5 kilos?
Center of gravity, 'up there'. Look at how tall 'A's are...so just exactly what are you doing?

Figue an Industry Standard of 60/40 split for weight distribution. Close enough.

Many years ago Road and Track Magazine had a road test on a model 'A' Roadster and every road test has the weight distribution on the axles, front and back. Right now it's about time to shove off for work and I'd have to dig through a lot of information to put my finger on that information. But I'll continue to search.

So $500 to $1000 to weight a car? Boy you must live in Europe. Why not find a thousand lb scale and block the front axle on it and weight it and do the same for the back axle. A farmer might be able to do that. Then find a drive on scale and weight the whole car, do some ciphering and you'll be close. Heck we weight our club cars in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin at Lilly Bay Sand and Gravel, just drive on read the digital display and wave good by. No big deal. It's free. Here is something that was published in Les Andrews Shop Manual Vol 1...you do have one of those right?

Again to increase the size of the lettering, hold the Control key down and tap the + key. Use the - key to shrink the font back to size.

skip.

I have noticed that after I posted this answer and I wanted to add something, my post does not appear in the thread....hummmmm I'm befuddled as to why. But when I go to 'skip' and click on 'All the Posts by skip' then there it is...are the works becoming plugged up with all the verbiage from all sources? So I'm going to hit 'Save' again, the post may not show up again or it may take a bit of time, or it might be double posted, so I'll check after work and I may have to go back and delete one of the double posts if necessary.

Anyone else see this happening?

Last edited by skip; 06-19-2010 at 10:03 AM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Dannerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
Many years ago Road and Track Magazine had a road test on a model 'A' Roadster and every road test has the weight distribution on the axles, front and back. Right now it's about time to shove off for work and I'd have to dig through a lot of information to put my finger on that information. But I'll continue to search.

So $500 to $1000 to weight a car? Boy you must live in Europe. Why not find a thousand lb scale and block the front axle on it and weight it and do the same for the back axle. A farmer might be able to do that. Then find a drive on scale and weight the whole car, do some ciphering and you'll be close. Heck we weight our club cars in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin at Lilly Bay Sand and Gravel, just drive on read the digital display and wave good by. No big deal. It's free. Here is something that was published in Les Andrews Shop Manual Vol 1...you do have one of those right?

Again to increase the size of the lettering, hold the Control key down and tap the + key. Use the - key to shrink the font back to size.

skip.
I thank you a lot, but I can't use the weights on any other model than the 1930 Tudor. So if they didn't talk about other models, than the roadser, you shouldn't bother - it needs to be for my car.

Yeah, I do - I live in Denmark.
- I might be able to have it weight for a round of beers or a round of pastery, but that can't be put into the repport, I must write. The information needs to be verifyed from a reliable source.
- No, I don't have that shop manual. I've got the "Model A - construction, operation, repair" (ISBN: 1-59592-000-5) and "the Gem from the River Rouge" (ISBN: 911160-30-2), but I can't find anything in those.

And the totalweight I can read off of the registration papers.

- But thanks for trying!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
Dannerr

Help!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
d.j. moordigian

Look for the people that race, a well outfitted team will have a set (4) scales. Tell them
what you are doing and why. It only takes about 30 min. to scale a car, start to finish-
--without any adjustments. Good luck and let use know, Dudley

I forgot to add that the scales the race teams have will tell you , each wheel weight plus
the CG , left side , right side, +++++. These are electronic, and portable.

Last edited by d.j. moordigian; 06-18-2010 at 02:07 PM.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Farrell In Vancouver

Why don't you get the attention of the local police or commercial vehicle inspection squad. They might find this project an interesting diversion from thier usual duties.
Would be interest to know how the wieght distribution works out, but Iam betting on a heavy front end.
Cheers!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
Dannerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Look for the people that race, a well outfitted team will have a set (4) scales. Tell them
what you are doing and why. It only takes about 30 min. to scale a car, start to finish-
--without any adjustments. Good luck and let use know, Dudley

I forgot to add that the scales the race teams have will tell you , each wheel weight plus
the CG , left side , right side, +++++. These are electronic, and portable.
d.j.: Funny, I'm Daniel Jensen!
I don't know any raceteams, who weighs their cars - what kind of raceteams are you referring to?

Farrell: Yeah, I'll be betting on that horse too!

My problem isn't to have the car weighed, the local harbor could do that. But to find the Center of Gravity, I need to drive the cars front wheels up on a concrete piller (in order to have a shift in pressure on the weighed rear axle) and then calculate the CG. And those calculations (and the expenses!) I can live without, there is already enough calculations in the project as is.

I mean, these car's been around for 80 years, someone must know by now.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Dannerr....Most any race team, rally , formula ( Jr., Atlantic , 1 ), road race. Just ask
around, " who races automobiles ", when you find somebody tell them what you are looking for, " scales for weighing race cars ", then keep asking till you find them!!
I know what you are doing and this should be quick and easy. Try local garages that
specialize in high performance cars. Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #9
Dannerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Dannerr....Most any race team, rally , formula ( Jr., Atlantic , 1 ), road race. Just ask
around, " who races automobiles ", when you find somebody tell them what you are looking for, " scales for weighing race cars ", then keep asking till you find them!!
I know what you are doing and this should be quick and easy. Try local garages that
specialize in high performance cars. Dudley
Kuul, thanks! It might be worth a try... Can they find the CG too?

Still, if anybody knows anything about it, please let me know!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
RockHillWill

Default Re: Weight specifications for 1930-1931 Panel Truck

Could anyone hazard a gues as to the weight of the above mentioned Panel Truck?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Dannerr

First of all, I found this: http://www.mafca.com/tqa_s_weights.html

Secondly, I ended up at the local junkyard, to get my car weighed. I found, that the total weight for an empty 1930 Model A Tudor is 1066 kg, weight on frontaxle is 485 kg and weight on rearaxle is 581 kg.

Hope this is helpfull for others!

Last edited by Dannerr; 02-27-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: None
Dannerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
John Butts in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannerr View Post
First of all, I found this: http://www.mafca.com/tqa_s_weights.html

Secondly, I ended up at the local junkyard, to get my car weighed. I found, that the total weight for an empty 1930 Model A Tudor is 1066 kg, weight on frontaxle is 485 kg and weight on rearaxle is 581 kg.

Hope this is helpfull for others!
Thanks, Dannerr; that's very interesting.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote