Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
36tbird

Default Speedway's hi volume oil pump

I do not want to dredge up the Mellings pump controversy again. I was wondering if anyone had tried the Speedway hi-v pump and can attest to the quality and performance. I got a 59A that I would like to bolster the oil pressure in it.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Speedway's hi volume oil pump

bird,
I'm using a Speedway long pump in my 8ba.....seems fine. The S'way pump
looks just like an orig Mellings long pump in my stash.
My shop motor has an ancient Mellings long pump bought from Joblot 35
years ago and that's pumping fine too.
Flat Jack and Ron have had not so good results with Mellings, not sure
about this.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
flatjack9

Used to be a problem with Mellings pumps. Don't know how they are now. Haven't heard any complaints lately. I have a lot of original pumps that I use in my builds after testing them in my rig for flow and pressure.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
joe plumber

I have had a Speedway pump in my 53 flathead for about 9 years .Looks just like the original one.Have had no problems with it
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
machine girl

anyone convert these speedway pumps for a model a 4 cly? if so how did you do it?
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Ol' Ron

I would think that over time these suppliers of replacement parts would take the hint that they can't get away with crapy parts. I'm sure speedway and Mellings have looked at their products and improved them. At least I hope so. AS for the hi volume pump, this can damage a stock engine with tight bearing clearences, How ever in a racing engine or an old warn out engine this might add a few more miles before rebuild. These pumps spend most of their lifre pushing oil out the relief valve causing oil to over heat. excessive pressure in the bearings will just blast then to death. So in this case more isn't good.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
36tbird

Well, the Mellings is about $80 more, as I recall, than the s/w in the catalog. So, just wondering. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Latest Speedway Street Catalog #391

OP 15M Hi-Vol Melling = $250.00 (+$80.00 premium)
OP 15 Hi-Vol Speedway = $170.00

OP 19M Std Vol Melling = $150.00 (+$57.00 premium)
OP 19 Std Vol Speedway = $92.00

From this selection there is no doubt which one I would go with based on personal experience and Ol Ron's recommendations.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
GOSFAST

We've used "tons" (not literally) of the M-19 pump's from Melling, not one single issue with any pump we've installed.

If you need a H.V. pump you have other issues. I also don't trust any other brands, I recently "battled" a vendor over some rod brgs for a Desoto, "Made-in-Taiwan", never again!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you have ANY oil pump questions feel free to contact George Richmond at Melling. You will get straight answers and no B.S. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can simply give Melling a call @ 517 787-8172.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

After reading Ron's report on tracking down a pressure problem that turned out to be a badly machined Melling, and working with someone on HAMB in a LONG thrash that eventually turned up a badly machined pressure relief that could not seat, I would sure as hell disassemble any recently made pump and measure and examine everything.
After first reading about this I went and disassembled a junkyard truck pump that I found with its screen blocked with GRAVEL, a real Ford cast with 8BA--B designation, and discovered that this filthy piece of junk was well within spec and, aside from a little dirt and the gravel, ready to go back to work.
There are enough specs in the '49-51 book to work with, side clearance, mesh, and of course you want gears with good bushings and no wobble.
Ford did not cover endplay, a VERY important place for building pressure, so I went with a Chevy spec which I think was .007 down there...
Measure, scrutinize the pressure relief, and as Ron discovered check the fit of casting into the block...his was dumping all the pressure right there!
I now collect used Ford ones at swap meets, where they are dirt cheap because everyone goes for a new Melling.

The good old days...circa 1970...at Joblot I could root through a 55 gallon drum containing the full range of NOS Ford and Lincoln pumps, right next to another drum containing every imaginable pickup...I remember picking up a 337 Lincoln one for a friend building an Ardun...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
36tbird

I did a "home rebuild" on a 59A and put it back together with new rings, cam bearings, SS valves, timing gear using, adjustable lifters, everything to make it a good, dependable engine. It runs great, but once warm, it is showing the characteristically low, idle oil pressure. It holds the prescribed 10% of rpm o.p. I need to find it a new home and we all know how non-experienced types are alarmed when they see low oil pressure on a flathead. So, that is why I am thinking that a hi-volume pump might be the ticket for this engine. When and if I sell it, there will be complete disclosure of the work and parts involved so I am not trying to pull a fast one here. I was going to run this engine myself but then I stumbled on another with a Merc crank.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

I'm glad Mellings solved there problems and are now producing a quality product. However, 15 years ago, they just send it back and we'll send yoy another one. I know another fellow that wrote for a magazine tried to discuss the problem with them and got now where. Wish I had a copy of the artical. Again, I'm glad they fixed the problem, $250 bucks for an oil pump???
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
jake197000

i think u should take apart every new oil pump and ck it out.a lot of time the used ones show al most no wear.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I agree 100% on that...checking it out is going to end the guarantee, but that sure beats installing an inadequate pump.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote