Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Pilotdave

Default Halogen Bulb/Reflector Q

I've read a bunch on here about the challenges of poorly focused headlight bulbs.....but not seen a clear cut answer to this question:

Will the halogen bulbs that plug directly into the sockets focus properly in original style reflectors?

Thanks much!
Dave
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Pat Martone

Default Re: Halogen Bulb/Reflector Q

I could not focus them either, and gave up.
Have since got the complete $87 kit (reflectors/bulbs/wiring) that includes reflectors made to fit the H4 type Halogen bulb that comes with the kit; they are focused and nice and bright. (I have the 12 volt kit.)
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

There are (were?)quality differences between the direct fit halogen bulbs that are made in India and the ones from Australia.

The India constructed bulbs did not have their filaments set in the right position and were twisted. So they could not be put at the proper focus point.

The bulbs my brother had from Classic and Vintage Bulbs are set to the proper focus point.

I will add my experience is dated as I learned the above about 3 years ago. I do not know what might have changed. I suggest that you disclose the age, location manufactured and who sold it so we may compare apples to apples. As something bought 3 years ago might have problems yet the 'same' product today may have been corrected. It would not be very good to spread no longer valid information.

The other kits with the modern bulbs I understand are not really focused, but are super bright. So they may light the tops of the trees and the blind on coming traffic. I have only been told this and not experienced it.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Thanks for the replies. I bought these today from Gaslight Auto Parts. No clue on them as to where they were made. These are 6v 25/25 bulbs. I can ask the vender if they focus properly as I am at the Hershey show. That is, I can ask if the rain doesn't send everyone home!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Martone View Post
... got the complete $87 kit (reflectors/bulbs/wiring) that includes reflectors made to fit the H4 type Halogen bulb that comes with the kit; they are focused and nice and bright. (I have the 12 volt kit.)
Same here
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
AL in NY

I bought the Classic Vintage 6 volt halogen bulbs last month and installed them along with the new Bratton's aluminized reflectors. The bulbs focus perfectly and they are extremely bright.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Pilotdave

Al - I hope that the ones I bought will work as well. I was going to ask Gaslight whether there were any focusing issues today but I didn't get on the fields today due to the rain. Went to the AACA Museum - what a great show that is! Included a lineup of Henry's "Alphabet Cars" from the 1905(?)-1927 era, among many terrific exhibits.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
bogiediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I bought the Classic Vintage 6 volt halogen bulbs last month and installed them along with the new Bratton's aluminized reflectors. The bulbs focus perfectly and they are extremely bright.
Al-

Just updated my headlights as well to the new Bratton's reflectors, with new two bulb sockets converted to grounded 1 bulb socket (see https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117191) to help make sure the ground was 'good'.

My questions for you - can you be specific on the bulbs you got? Did you aim & focus per normal? Your opinion about how much better you can see...

Thanks.

The difference from the old set up in my roadster of chromed reflectors and someone's 'modification' to use a nut to hold the sockets in (i.e no chance to focus) to the new with focused 32/50 cp is very good. But if I can get more usable light for relatively few $$$, I'm willing to try it...

(See that Classic & Vintage was at Hersey - had a friend there, didn't know until after - dang it!)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
AL in NY

Bogiediver, the bulbs I installed were the direct replacement 6 volt halogen bulbs rated at 55/65 watts. They are the Ba15 bulbs, about $35.00 per bulb. You're going to need an alternator to use them. Very bright, like new car bright!!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

Al, are they able to be focused?
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
John LaVoy

Several years ago we did an article on focusing the halogen bulb that fits the original socket. We used modern test equipment and were able to bring them into a match for the original focus standards. You need to position the bulb in the focal point of the reflector to get the light beam to hit the lens as it was designed to do. Took a little time but worked very well. Our sedan is probably the only Model A in California that passed the headlight adjustment test.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Lee Mitch

John,
Would you give info. regarding where to find that article? Thanks!
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
bogiediver

Al-

Thanks for the response - if an alternator is needed, then this won't benefit my situation. Running a generator with voltage regulator and not looking to change that.

Guess I'll keep looking for a brighter bulb that can be focused that will work with a generator. In the meantime, at least I don't feel blind at night anymore...
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

I bought a set of the Austrailian 25/25 watt halogen direct fit bulbs at Hershey about 7 years ago. I was going to try them, but they are still in the box because I have good light with the standard 32 candle power bulbs with my good original silvered reflectors.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
Kurt in NJ

Here is a link to Marcos site about focusing headlamps-- http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/lamp_focus-2.htm

A 55 watt halogen bulb doesn't take any more electric than a 55 watt seal beam, if you only drive a small percentage of your driving time with the headlights on it won't matter much what the discharge is if you have enough non headlight time driving to make up for the discharge.
One od the most surprising things I noticed with the halogen bulbs I put in was that there is not much of a change in light between idle (not charging) and driving---with the regular bulbs it was like they went out

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 10-15-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote