Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
Steve_KS

Default Re: Uhaul Auto Transport & Tudor

That discharge hose is a great idea I'll get some of it today. I've used sections of fire hose similarly for climbing ropes over the cliff but where can you get a couple feet of that...

LuckyStripe, that's a cool paint job, I love the blue wheels and the green wheels in an earlier reply.

Last edited by Steve_KS; 05-15-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Steve_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
Keith True

There is a supply house that sells raw materials to build trailers,and now they have a retail outlet online to sell to anybody.They are called Nuera.They now sell all the consumer oriented stuff,straps,chains,toolboxes,etc.They have some real nice options for straps,and they have sleeved straps to go over axles without chafing.They used to be only wholesalers at their warehouses,but have gone into the online retail thing.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
denis4x4

Speedway and Jeg’s have an excellent assortment of tie downs and trailering essentials at reasonable prices.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #24
copgib

I took mine home on a uhaul trailer from Texas to Florida. I did cover the front windshield, headlights and horn with cardboard and I had no damage at all. Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #25
31a

I trailered a car from California to Texas tried the plastic wrap it was a disaster do not waste your time on the plastic wrap! I have hauled A,s for 30 years and never damaged a top. Bob
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #26
31 Woody

I have used a Uhaul trailer with my ‘31 Wagon a couple of times. The tire straps were OK at best, but required monitoring. I checked them every 100 miles or so, sooner early in the drive. One time a wheel strap nearly came completely off at the ‘early stop’.

The straps barely wrapped on the 19” wheels on the transporters we had. Extra straps are recommended if you have them. If you don’t have them, consider getting some. Otherwise it was a great trailer to tow. I did see the other post with the Tudor—there must be some variation in the straps provided during production, because the ones we rented did not wrap as well at that one looks. Extra straps is my recommendation even if they do fit. Too much is not a problem.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #27
ccb360

U-hauls auto transport trailer towed smoothly for me and the brakes worked great. Only hitch, their wheel straps...one came loose with me also. I did have my own straps installed, one for each wheel secured on axle next to wheels. I'd use the U-haul trailer again...
ccb360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #28
31Cabriolet68-C

I solved a missionaries-and-cannibals dilemma when I had to go down to Dixie and get my 68C out of deep storage in Stanardsville VA and bring it back to CT. Problem 1, Uhaul never can/will actually promise the trailers are actually going to be where U-hope ... Anyway I arranged to pull a Uhaul trailer oneway north bound behind a Round trip in a United Rentals clubcab Chevy (I know, I know...... sorry!!! They don't rent Fords, sad). Picked up the truck in CT for the round trip, and got the Uhaul trailer down in Culpeper VA for a one way. All good so far. Guess what? The receiver on the truck and the ball. hitch DON'T FIT. Thanks to the Tractor Supply in Stanardsville (and 60 miles out of the way!!)all went well. Check all the strapsyku use repeatedly!! Enjoy the waves and the many thumbs up!!!!!!
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #29
flan30

I used a U-Haul trailer to bring my 1930 tudor home I wasn't sold on the nets so I purchased some heavy duty ratchet straps from habor freight two on the front and two in the rear drove for a couple miles and checked and retightened the straps and headed home. Would have loved to have driven it home but wanted to look over the car for any safety issues before I hit the streets
flan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #30
Steve_KS

Happy to report the A made it. Took a while doing 55 on back roads. Turned a 6 hour interstate trip into 12 but the scenery was nice and there were no issues.

The u-haul worked great. Good tires, wheel bearings were tight, tire netting worked good on the 19" wheels. Trailer had 2 safety chains front and back I sleeved them with hosing as recommended. I added 2 axle straps to the back for insurance. Probably wasn't necessary but then again those bumpy, narrow, up and down, twisty Missouri roads aren't much fun. I also made a rock guard for ~$50 which couldn't have hurt anything either.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #31
Steve_KS

Hopefully I've attached this picture correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (57.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #32
Steve_KS

Here is another picture showing the rock guard at one of many leg stretching stops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2.jpg (39.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #33
Corley

I've seen a lot of used car trailers on CL and OU for in the range of $500 - $1000. A couple UHaul rentals and you have bought a trailer, which all your friends will thank you for. (As they borrow it.). Rental prices can be pretty high, being based upon demand and locations. Having it to use as you wish makes things so nice. Of course, if you don't have room to park it, you need to be one of the borrowing friends.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #34
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
I've seen a lot of used car trailers on CL and OU for in the range of $500 - $1000. A couple UHaul rentals and you have bought a trailer, which all your friends will thank you for. (As they borrow it.). Rental prices can be pretty high, being based upon demand and locations. Having it to use as you wish makes things so nice. Of course, if you don't have room to park it, you need to be one of the borrowing friends.
Man I need to go where your at! Cant touch a car hauler here for less than $1500 and it will need some kind of work... Can buy a new 20' one for $2360...