Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Slotblog

Default Oregon to Georgia in a 1930 Standard Tudor

As I mentioned in a couple of threads I posted recently here, I shortly am embarking on a long trip to drive my newly-purchased 1930 Standard Tudor from Oregon to the Atlanta area, a roughly 2,700 mile jaunt.

I have started a trip "blog" which I hope to be able to update on a daily basis at my hobby website, slotblog.net. Here's a link:

Oregon to Georgia in a 1930 Ford

Comments and discussion will be welcomed in the related subforum, but not in the trip narrative itself. The discussion subforum has been permissioned so anyone can start topics or post replies there; registration is not required. Here's a link to the open subforum:

Oregon to Georgia trip discussion

I look forward to meeting other Model A enthusiasts during the journey, but we're still refining our exact route and the intinerary will largely be freelanced day by day. Our progress can be followed at the first link given above.

Some of you reading this may question my sanity, but a trip of this nature has been on my "bucket list" for a long time and at age 60, it's time to check something off. My older son (age 34) will be following me in a "chase car" containing spares, tools, and our gear. Please check out the initial posts in the trip blog for more info.

We plan to head north in our modern car before dawn this Sunday, i.e. in two days, and hope to start south with the Tudor the following Friday.

Greg Wells
Norcross, GA

Last edited by Slotblog; 10-17-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Oregon to Georgia in a 1930 Standard Tudor

Congratulations Greg, ....safe travels for you & company!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Hope you have very safe travels, watch the other guy and the weather, take along a current MARC and MAFCA Membership Roster just incase.

Be safe.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Slotblog

Steve,

I rejoined both MARC and MAFCA almost two weeks ago but have yet to receive the member packets from either. If they don't arrive today or tomorrow, oh well...
Old 10-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
dlfrisch

Sounds neat...We have a '30 Coupe and are thinking of traveling to my sons (wife and grand children's) in Wellington, Florida, with our "A", around Christmas time. It's about 700 miles (one way). We have done it on our Harley's a few times and we may still do the bikes again. Haven't decided yet.

I'll watch your trip....when you get in Norcross, give me an email and maybe we can make a trip down your way. Good luck
Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Onlybackroads

Alright, let it begin! Excited to follow your trip and live vicariously through you guys for now! Drive safe and watch out for idiots on the road. I should hopefully be back up around Tennessee or Arkansas by the end of the month so keep in touch if you're going through on your way back.

My website for custom motorbikes, styled after turn of the century motorcycles and boardtrack racers:
http://flyingfeetautocycles.wordpress.com
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

Good luck on your trip. I don't read blogs, so let us know when you get home. Rod
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Slotblog

Rod,

The links where my trip commentary will be posted isn't really a blog at all, but is a community forum just like FordBarn. Just click on a link and take a look.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #9
Slotblog

Trying to leave Atlanta for Oregon before dawn tomorrow morning and still have so much to do! It's going to be a busy day...

Tonight I will hear the younger son play tuba with the Emory University Symphony Orchestra. It seems somehow appropriate that the final piece will be Dvořák's New World Symphony.

Hope to be able to head south with the Tudor on Friday.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

A cross country trip gives you a great first hand education about WEATHER!!!
Bill W.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Markmonty

Have a fun and safe trip!!
Markmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Slotblog

Bill W,

That's a concern, of course.

I've been watching the ten-day forecasts for Boise, Salt Lake City, and Denver and so far, it looks like we may dodge the weather bullet big time. I'm hoping so. Expect a good bit of rain, but I have my bottle of Rain-X and I'm not afraid to use it! LOL!
Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

god speed i will also be following your progress
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
MAG

Go for it Slotblog!!! Just take it easy.
My son just returned from a 5,441 mile round trip Austin to Kennebunkport, Maine in his '54 C***y. No trouble. Used a pint of oil. Original 235 engine. Rebuilt ofcourse.
He's got a couple of Model A's that would have made the trip but more room in the '54.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
Fred K-OR

Greg,

Have fun on your trip. Hope you spend a little time in Oregon. There is a lot to see in this state but I can also understand you wanting to get back to GA ASAP. But if you want to get a few tips on places or routes through Oregon, send me a PM and I can give you some ideas. At least visit some of the wineries, if you enjoy this type of thing, in the area where you pick up your car. They produce some of the best wines in the world! We live in Banks Oregon which is just a few miles north of where you will be picking up your car.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 10-18-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
Slotblog

Fred,

Well, we're going to do the McMinnville Air Museum for sure and might kick around a little. Because of the time of the year, I'm a little hesitant to delay heading south for too long. This TN/GA boy doesn't know how to deal with ice and snow and I don't really want to learn! LOL!

Unfortunately, while I like wine I cannot drink it because of its acidity, unless I drink it with some sort of antacid. Can't even drink orange juice unless it's the reduced acid stuff.

I will shoot you a PM, but it'll probably be over the next day or so while we're on our trip to get to Oregon.

Thanks for being willing to advise.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #17
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
Fred,

Well, we're going to do the McMinnville Air Museum for sure and might kick around a little. Because of the time of the year, I'm a little hesitant to delay heading south for too long. This TN/GA boy doesn't know how to deal with ice and snow and I don't really want to learn! LOL!

Unfortunately, while I like wine I cannot drink it because of its acidity, unless I drink it with some sort of antacid. Can't even drink orange juice unless it's the reduced acid stuff.

I will shoot you a PM, but it'll probably be over the next day or so while we're on our trip to get to Oregon.

Thanks for being willing to advise.
Whatever you do it sounds like a fun trip. Have fun!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #18
Slotblog

That's the prime directive, as they said on Star Trek!

Will be in touch, Fred.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Rod,

The links where my trip commentary will be posted isn't really a blog at all, but is a community forum just like FordBarn. Just click on a link and take a look.
I too agree with Rod in that I don't read those, especially in a forum setting. For me, it is a simple thing where I don't have the time (--nor desire ) to read every other person's well-wishing thoughts for your trip. I like reading after the fact telling of your adventures.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Rod,

I too agree with Rod in that I don't read those, especially in a forum setting. For me, it is a simple thing where I don't have the time (--nor desire ) to read every other person's well-wishing thoughts for your trip. I like reading after the fact telling of your adventures.

Just as in Sean's forum telling of his unfortunate situation in Austin, he is now at 5 pages of folks offering their sympathy (-which is great for him) but not a lot of substance on what is happening directly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i dont like the blog deal either but will try and stay in touch with your trip. i have been enjoying Runnerbun's advetures and updates here on the barn.
good luck and be safe
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
Slotblog

Guys,

Perhaps I wasn't clear...

One of the links I gave goes to a thread that will contain only posts I make, with no well-wishing or discussion permitted.

The other link goes to a thread where people can post comments.

So, Brent, what you desire is already in place.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #23
Slotblog

Got to OR and picked up car. Drove it about 26 miles to where we're staying today in winds gusting to 50+ MPH and combined with the excessive play in the steering, it was a pretty exhausting and frightening experience.

Going to check the steering to see where the play is happening and expect to adjust the two-sector box. Any tips for me?

I really need to reduce or eliminate (hah!) the excessive play in the steering before we head back east.

It would also be nice if the storm and high winds pummeling the Pacifc Northwest would abate, too...
Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Just wondering did you go over the entire car mechanically?
Looking forward to any updates you post here good luck
The adj procedures are in the service bulletins and les book I believe
Old 10-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #25
montanafordman

Another thing you might try to do is see if you can or should snug up the drag link and tie rod ends a turn or two, also make sure the pitman arm bolt is tight and there is no play between your steering shaft and pitman arm. I'd recommend going through everything but since you are on the road and that is not possible my suggestions above are a good start. In the end the best course of action would be to rebuild all your steering arm and pitman arm balls back to round, new tie rod and drag link inserts and springs, and then go through the steering box.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #26
Slotblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Just wondering did you go over the entire car mechanically?
LOL... I suspect there's some unposted thoughts referencing insanity that could have accompanied this question!

Going over the car is what we're doing now, before setting off for Georgia.

I greased the car completely, though as usual, a few of the fitting were frozen and wouldn't take grease, but most did. We changed the oil, using the ND 30 Mike's offers, and I added 600W to the steering box (it was pretty low). Will be topping up the trans and diff today. Replaced the dist cam as it was worn and added some Water Wetter to the coolant.

Car cranks strongly and starts easily, motor pulls well, clutch releases a little high but grabs smoothly and doesn't judder at all. No shimmy from the steering.

Even in the high winds yesterday, it cruised nicely at 35-40 and will I believe easily do 45 without strain if I don't have to contend with such gusty conditions.

Quote:
The adj procedures are in the service bulletins and Les' book I believe
They are and we'll be starting that procedure as soon as the coffee hits bottom.

Last edited by Slotblog; 10-26-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #27
Slotblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
Another thing you might try to do is see if you can or should snug up the drag link and tie rod ends a turn or two, also make sure the pitman arm bolt is tight and there is no play between your steering shaft and pitman arm. I'd recommend going through everything but since you are on the road and that is not possible my suggestions above are a good start. In the end the best course of action would be to rebuild all your steering arm and pitman arm balls back to round, new tie rod and drag link inserts and springs, and then go through the steering box.
Yes, the plan is as you have suggested. Going to look at all the places where play could develop in the steering system today. If I can reduce the slop in the steering by half or better, it will certainly be roadable.

And as mentioned above, we're not actually on the road yet, but hope to start back east later today.

Last edited by Slotblog; 10-26-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

Five years ago I drove a friend's Model A from the seller's home to his. It steered like a paper airplane in a tornado. 20 miles later we got to his house and I tightened one front wheel bearing 2 1/2 turns and the left side 1 1/2 turns, and that's all it took to make it steer nicely.

Pitman arm bolt and steering box to frame bolts are often not tight enough.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
Slotblog

Aha! I hadn't considered the wheel bearings and we'll certainly take a look at those. Thank you for this suggestion.

And yes, the plan is to confirm the tightness of all of the bolts you mentioned.

Tapping into the vast experience with these cars represented by the members of this forum is my main purpose for posting here. Tom, your very positive reputation and knowledge seems well known and I am grateful for your experienced input. Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #30
Slotblog

Problem solved!

LF wheel bearing was quite loose and that seemed to be perhaps a bit more than half the problem. Repacked and adjusted the bearing on that side.

One of the steering box to frame bolts tightened up a little and the three sector cover to box bolts were a bit loose. I did adjust the sector maybe a flat or so and now the play in the steering is essentially gone.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. We'll be heading out for Georgia within the hour.

If anyone along our route sees a Model A Tudor with "Georgia or Bust!" vinyl lettering on the rear side windows, that's us...
Old 10-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #31
sethkestenbaum

have a great drive
Old 10-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

lol,, lol glad your spending an hour or so to go over the car before the cross country trip
not trying to be a smart ass i just find it amusing
i do wish you much success on your trip, be safe thats the most important thing mechanical things can be fixed..
looking forward to updates on your adventures
Old 10-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #33
Slotblog

Actually, I've spent about a day and a half... LOL!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #34
Fred K-OR

Greg,

Sorry I did not check my PM soon enough and it sounds like you may be on the road already.

If your friend suggested you go from Salem, through Bend, through Burns and then on the Ontario that is probably the best off interstate highways. Going up over the Cascade mountains between Salem and Bend is going to be your greatest climb. But the road where you are climbing has passing lanes that you can run in most of the way up the mountain. You will also find on the road between Bend and Burns sections of the road where you won't need to turn your steering wheel at all. Straight highways for miles. This should help your steering situation if you still have problem.

Good luck on your trip and keep us posted. Sorry I did not get to chat on the phone prior to your departure.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #35
Slotblog

Fred as correct, we were already on the road, but I rang him back anyway once we got to our hotel and we had a very nice extended conversation.

Just for a quick update, we left Salem about 11 AM and made it over the mountain (three inches of snow on the ground at the summit!) to Bend, OR, where we are staying tonight. The car runs better and better with every mile and the steering adjustment has worked out quite well. The winds are still blowing and push the car around a little, but with 3/4" of play in the steering wheel, I can deal with them, as well as the moderate tramlining behavior on poor pavement. I suspect this is alignment but it's not so bad that I can't deal with it on the trip back.

On arriving in Bend, we noticed a little coolant waterfall and it is a problem I anticipated, a pretty good leak out of the water pump packing. I brought along one of the gland nut wrenches so if tightening it up doesn't do the trick, I'm thinking the local hardware store or plumbing supply will have some graphited packing material that will suffice. Any advice from you experienced A'ers in this regard?

Car runs well and happily at 50 MPH, though I am going to try to keep it closer to 45 MPH. FWIW I only had to grab second once to get over the ridge. Top gear sufficed for all other climbs.

So tomorrow it's eastward ho! Hope to make Ontario by nightfall.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #36
Wm J.

If yo need waterpump packing let me know.

Wm J. Bend Oregon
Wm J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #37
Slotblog

Thank you, sir!

I'll know fairly early in the morning if tightening the gland nut does the trick.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Don't use graphite string for the packing. That is for slow turning shafts, like the water faucet. You want the lead packing rings with a coat of grease on them. For the trip home you can just unscrew the packing nut and push some grease in there and resnug the nut. This should keep the pump from leaking for the trip home.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #39
Synchro909

I've just returned from a 9,000 mile trip around the country towing a camper trailer in my '29 Phaeton. If your car is prepared well, you will have no trouble (other idiots on the road excluded).
Enjoy the drive and the sound of the vintage machinery underneath you.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #40
Slotblog

Tom,

Need to give you some feedback on your kind suggestion. Since I had not heard back from "Wm J" this morning, I tried the grease trick and it simply didn't work. I think I know why: the packing in the car had crumbled into bits when I finally removed it.

I had PM'd "Wm J", who offered a seal to me earlier in this thread, through Ford Barn but he must not have seen it, as by about 10 AM I had not heard from him so we could connect. I called Ted Duke, a MAFCA member who had messaged me here to say he would keep his roster at hand for a month(!) and provided his cell number so I could contact him for local member info wherever I might be broken down. Ted found a number of MAFCA members in Bend and gave me four names and phone numbers. The first one was Bill Barlow and as luck would have it, he was "Wm J"!

My A ended up in a bank parking lot and it was great that Bill's home was just two miles away. We GPS'd over to his address and knew immediately we were in the right place when we spotted the double stacked pallet of Model A engine blocks next to a storage shed at the end of his driveway. The garage holding his Model A collection has a further 23 blocks lined up along a wall.

Turns out Bill was a MAFCA Technical Director in 2002-03 and is a machinist who re-babbits Model A (and T, I think) rods and main caps. He had 160 sets of Model A rods on the shelf awaiting orders! I saw examples of his work and it is pure jewelry.

Bill had several new packages of water pump packings as well as a small drawer of loose new packings. He gave me two new packages and refused to let me pay him or replace them, as he said he now uses the modern seal pumps on his six Models As so he didn't use the lead packings any more.

As an aside, Bill and his lovely bride Annie (IIRC) drove one of their As from Bend, OR, to Nova Scotia and back a few years ago, without a chase car! He said the only problem they experienced was with the distributor and he had a spare unit to plug in.

Took me about 30 mins to get the new packings seated in the gland nut and to get the nut started on the threads and away went went towards Burns, OR. The water pump was leaking when we arrived at our hotel about an hour ago, but about 3/4 of a turn of the gland nut and she sealed up again. Of course, I'll be keeping an eye on it the rest of the trip.

Onward to Ontario, OR, tomorrow...

PS: If you need a set of rebabbited rods or a rebabitted main cap, do yourself a favor and give Bill a call at 541-389-2694. The man knows his stuff and can help you get your A engine down the road to a full rebuild. And a nicer Model A guy you will never meet!

Last edited by Slotblog; 10-27-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #41
Steve Plucker
BANNED

PS: If you need a set of rebabbited rods or a rebabitted main cap, do yourself a favor and give Bill a call at 541-389-2694. The man knows his stuff and can help you get your A engine down the road to a full rebuild. And a nicer Model A guy you will never meet!

You can say that again!

Pluck
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #42
Fred K-OR

Greg,

You met "The" Model A man in the Northwest. Bill Barlow is the place to get your rebabbitting done. Sorry I did not mention him to you when we talked the other day.
Glad to see you made it to Burns. Did you find the Meat Hook for dinner?

Hope things go well for you from now on.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #43
Slotblog

We haven't eaten yet, Fred, and honestly, we've been stuffing ourselves silly in the various places we've stayed over the last few days. We did eat at the Pine Tavern in Bend last night and it was great. Tonight I think we're simply going to split a Subway sandwich and hit the rack early.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a trouble-free day so we can get some mileage under our wheels. At the rate we're going, we may not be home by Christmas! LOL!

BTW, online references say the Meat Hook has closed, I am sorry to say.

Last edited by Slotblog; 10-27-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #44
Steve Plucker
BANNED

It is a loooooooooooooooooong streach to Ontario from Burns. Not many gas stations.

Have a great trip!

Pluck
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #45
Slotblog

Ys, so I have been told. May have to pick up another five gallon gas can to take along...

And, honestly, we're having a great trip. The mechanical issues we've had to deal with are pretty much the sort of things I expected to encounter, considering the overall scenario. They're all part of the grand adventure.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #46
Ted Duke

Hey, Thanksgiving in Kansas, Christmas in Tennessee, Home for New Year's Eve. What's the hurry? LOL
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #47
Slotblog

I like the way you think, Ted.

Thanks again for your assistance the other day.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #48
Slotblog

Well, for our first trouble-free day, allowing for a full day's run, we made it from Burns, OR, to Mountain Home, ID, a distance of about 225 miles.

It's been a good day. Only had to downshift to second once and for just a few seconds to clear the crest in the hills east of Burns.

The water pump took a couple of tightenings but is sealing well now. Thanks again, Bill Barlow!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #49
Slotblog

Made it to Evanston, WY, last night, after a 340-mile day...
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #50
1930artdeco

340 miles. That is a LONNG day.

Glad you are enjoying the trip. That is BIG country out there.

Mike
Old 10-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #51
Slotblog

Yeah, I don't know if my numb butt can stand another day like that one! LOL!

Trying to make Rawlins, WY, today, a mere 210 miles of traveling, and Denver tomorrow, about 240 IRRC.

Plan to stop in at Bert's Model A Center to pick up a few parts and to see the place.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #52
P.S.

Quote:
Plan to stop in at Bert's Model A Center to pick up a few parts and to see the place.
Prepare for Shock & Awe.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #53
John Stone

Is there a planned route somewhere?
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #54
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know if my numb butt can stand another day like that one! LOL!

Trying to make Rawlins, WY, today, a mere 210 miles of traveling, and Denver tomorrow, about 240 IRRC.

Here is the time Bert's is open. Sound like you are having a great trip!

We are open 9-4 Tues- Fri and 8- noon Saturday MOUNTAIN TIME!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #55
Slotblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Is there a planned route somewhere?
John, no. We're making this up as we go along. We stopped in Rawlins, WY, tonight and on the way there, a guy who walked over to look at the car at a rest area suggested I "cut-off" Cheyenne by taking a state route from Laramie toward Ft. Collins. The map says it will save a lot of miles so that's what we're going to do.

We do plan to drop down into Oklahoma to visit a friend near Tulsa who has arranged a tour of the Glenn Pray A-C-D Corp premises if we arrive on a weekday. He's also arranging a bunch of local Model A club members to greet us.

FWIW, I would love to meet other Model A guys at Bert's and will try to post here as soon as we know when we might be there. I'm going to drive the A to Bert's, rather than stash it at the hotel and go modern in the city.

Last edited by Slotblog; 10-31-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #56
John Stone

Quote:
John, no. We're making this up as we go along. We stopped in Rawlins, WY, tonight and on the way there, a guy who walked over to look at the car at a rest area suggested I "cut-off" Cheyenne by taking a state route from Laramie toward Ft. Collins. The map says it will save a lot of miles so that's what we're going to do.

We do plan to drop down into Oklahoma to visit a friend near Tulsa who has arranged a tour of the Glen Pray A-C-D Corp premises if we arrive on a weekday. He's also arranging a bunch of local Model A club members to greet us.

FWIW, I would love to meet other Model A guys at Bert's and will try to post here as soon as we know when we might be there. I'm going to drive the A to Bert's, rather than stash it at the hotel and go modern in the city.
If you get close to Wichita, give me a shout. Surely we can find something interesting here.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #57
Slotblog

Well, the cut-off on Route 287 was very scenic but the traffic through Ft. Collins is crawling. Forgot what the combination of Halloween and a Friday generates in terms of traffic. It has on occasion darn near grid-locked parts of Atlanta...

I think we're going to be too late to make it to Bert's today, so tomorrow it is. Thank goodness they're open on Saturday. Hope to meet a "Barner" or two there...

John Stone, much appreciated. Will be in touch if we come near Wichita.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #58
marc hildebrant

I used 287 from Fort Collins to Laramie many times when my daughter went to University of Wyoming.

Very nice ride and the elevation goes up to the 7000's of feet at times.

Also, often to have snow and ice in May...

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #59
Slotblog

I had a real scare as we headed south from Laramie.

We were going uphill slightly, but the car was really struggling; it wouldn't even make 40 MPH with full throttle on what seemed to be a very slight uphill grade. Then I looked over at the grass along the road and it was bent backwards at about 90 degrees, opposite our direction of travel. Sure enough, there were a couple of flags at a roadside store a mile down the road and they were extended like they were starched.

It seems we were driving into a serious headwind, on the order of 40-50 MPH.

It was a real relief when I figured out that was what was slowing the car down so much... LOL!

Last edited by Slotblog; 10-31-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #60
TwoDeuceCoupe

There is a very real reason why this sign is posted along I-80 in WY!

The chain sometimes is close to 90 degrees as I have seen numerous times.

Some folks think it is a joke ... sometimes I wonder!

My friend from WY says there is one category missing ....

If the pole is bent at 90 degrees to the ground ... then the wind is just getting started!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wind.jpg (37.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by TwoDeuceCoupe; 11-01-2014 at 09:36 AM.
TwoDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #61
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDeuceCoupe View Post
There is a very real reason why this sign is posted along I-80 in WY!

The chain sometimes is close to 90 degrees as I have seen numerous times.

Some folks think it is a joke ... sometimes I wonder!
That is GREAT!

Pluck
Old 11-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #62
mshmodela

What's your average speed so far?

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #63
Slotblog

Mike,

I really haven't kept records that will allow me to give you a definitive answer. We've been traveling between 45 and perhaps 50 MPH at times, slower up the hills of course, but stop a lot to keep me from becoming crippled with stiffness.

Left Salem, Oregon, a little after noon last Sunday and got to Denver yesterday, Friday, and about 5:30 PM local time.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #64
Slotblog

Finally got to Bert's Model A Center today and it was definitely awe I felt after seeing the scope of their operation.

But what's more amazing is what is happening right now, thanks to employee Joe Wylie, who pointed out some issues with my car.

The story isn't over yet so I'll just tease for now. Stay tuned for more regarding the fantastic folks at Bert's.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #65
kenparker

Hi Slotblog. Very interesting so far. It may be out of your way, but we are about 250 miles south of Tulsa, and 80 miles east of Dallas. Our club is sponsoring a Hillclimb Saturday Nov 8 and a BBQ for Hillclimbers Friday night Nov 7. If schedule permits and you come this way , The club would love to have you as guest Friday night at the BBQ., then participate or watch at the Hillclimb Sat morning. I willl buy your burger/s. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #66
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Hi Slotblog. Very interesting so far. It may be out of your way, but we are about 250 miles south of Tulsa, and 80 miles east of Dallas. Our club is sponsoring a Hillclimb Saturday Nov 8 and a BBQ for Hillclimbers Friday night Nov 7. If schedule permits and you come this way , The club would love to have you as guest Friday night at the BBQ., then participate or watch at the Hillclimb Sat morning. I willl buy your burger/s. ken
It's looking more and more like New Year's Day!
LOL

Ted
Old 11-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #67
Slotblog

Ken, just don't think I have the time to do it, as I really need to hold this trip down to three weeks if I can.

Wish that wasn't so, as that sounds like lots of fun and with a free meal to boot. Almost irresistible.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #68
Slotblog

Here's a link to my online report of our visit to Bert's Model A Center yesterday, with lots of pics.

Bert's Model A Center, Denver, CO
Old 11-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #69
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Here's a link to my online report of our visit to Bert's Model A Center yesterday, with lots of pics.

WOW...I had no idea!

Thanks for sharing Greg.

Pluck
Old 11-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #70
Slotblog

Steve,

It got even better... Check out the other report I posted this morning:

Joe Wylie

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-02-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #71
John S

Quote:
Steve,

It got even better... Check out the other report I posted this morning:

Joe Wylie
Can't get this link to work.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #72
Fred K-OR

Quote:

Greg, glad you enjoyed Bert's. It is well worth spending the time to stop by and see their operation.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #73
Slotblog

John S,

Try it now please. I fixed the link and tested it.

Posting links from an iPad while sitting in a McDonald's can be a little iffy... LOL!

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-02-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #74
John S

Quote:
John S,

Posting links from a iPad while sitting in a McDonald's can be a little iffy... LOL!

Got it! You are lucky to have found Joe. The guys at Bert's are great, I have been buying from them for a long time.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #75
Slotblog

Lucky doesn't even begin to describe it...
Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #76
marc hildebrant

Bert's is a great place. Makes me wonder why I ever left Colorado !!

Marc
Old 11-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #77
Ted Duke

Wow! to both links!

Ted
Old 11-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #78
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Bert's is a great place. Makes me wonder why I ever left Colorado !!

Marc
Marc, you just have to try Minnesota winters to believe them!

How do I turn back my sundial for the end of daylight savings time?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #79
mshmodela

Wow, Berts looks like a great place to see....

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #80
Mikeinnj

Quote:
John S,

Posting links from an iPad while sitting in a McDonald's can be a little iffy... LOL!
Your Joe Willey link has a bad address. Take out one of the two http's that is screwing up the link.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #81
Slotblog

Mike,

I just tested it and it works for me. Wonder if you're looking at a cached page set before I fixed it?

I will check it now for the code error you mention.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #82
Mitch//pa
BANNED

thanks for the berts pics very impressive
and i am enjoying your trip updates...
Old 11-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #83
Slotblog

Thanks, Mitch.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #84
Fred K-OR

Greg are you going to hit some snow on your planned route? Based on some current weather reports in your destination area it looks like you may get some before you get home.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #85
Slotblog

Fred,

We're headed south into Oklahoma and to be honest, I've been so busy the last couple of days I haven't been checking the weather forecasts.

Hope you're wrong but if you aren't, we'll just deal with it.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #86
John S

Did Bert's get you fixed up OK?
Old 11-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #87
Slotblog

Joe and Bert's most certainly did.

It took longer than we both hoped, but I know how it goes when working on cars... if it takes twice as long as you think, you probably hit the norm or bettered it. My so-to-be-ex always said it was three to one; if I opined I'd have it repaired in an hour, it would always take three.

I've only driven the car about eight miles to the hotel, but difference is very noticeable. I have a braking system about 99% right that doesn't pull at all and is silky smooth. I now have four working shocks connected via properly adjusted tubular links. The front toe out was corrected to toe-in. New LL/GL water pump. Other tweaks and tightenings too numerous to recall...

Heck, even an oil change and please don't anyone open the "proper" oil debate here... LOL!

We head east as early tomorrow as we can drag our tired carcasses out of bed and get the chase car packed. Shooting for first light, but that's probably wistful thinking.

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-03-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:44 AM   #88
John S

Adjusting the toe will make the car drive much better. It must have been a handfull on rough roads.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:11 AM   #89
Slotblog

Well, yeah... it steered and stopped after a fashion, a very poor fashion, like a lot of poorly-maintained collector cars I've driven over the years. You can adjust. I've driven a car a decent distance with zero brakes, if you must know.

Because of how we were traveling, I think it would have made it to Georgia without Joe's upgrading, if the engine didn't eat its bearings.

But, no, the car wasn't very fun to drive in its prior condition.

Nor, as Joe convinced me, very safely assembled on several levels.

As I said on my blog, I've just encountered an angel with gray hair and grease under his fingernails.

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-03-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #90
Slotblog

Made Newton, KS, just a bit north of Wichita. Tomorrow we're headed for Woolaroc Ranch and then the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Corp in Broken Arrow. I'm told there will be some Model A club members there to meet me and Geoff!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #91
whirnot

Really enjoying this keep it up. It sounds like you missed Steve, the owner. Really a great guy. I am sure it is obvious to you why I rarely order online from Berts, I would rather drive the 50 miles to go see them in person. I cannot recommend them highly enough!

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #92
Slotblog

Yes, we did miss Steve, though I spoke to him by phone on Tuesday morning, trying to settle up my parts bill from the weekend.

Yes, I fully understand why you would drive to Bert's to get parts, rather than have them shipped to you. I would so the same thing and in fact, have, as Mike's Afordable A Parts is 50 miles from me in Georgia.

We made it to Broken Arrow yesterday, about a 250-260 mile run with the detour we made to see Woolaroc.

This morning, the adventure is starting early: the RR tire on the A went flat during the night! Fortunately, it was in the hotel parking lot, we have an aired-up spare, and two 19-inch tubes in the spares kit.

Now to find someone in the Tulsa area who can fix the flat, as I would rather not continue without a good tire on the back.

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-06-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #93
slackcat

Neat adventure and good luck the rest of the way. What is your planned route from Tulsa?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #94
Slotblog

I-40 to Nashville.

Posting this from Alma, AR, just east of Ft. Smith...

BTW got a local tire shop to put a new tube in the flat and we got on the road about 11:15 AM local.

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-06-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #95
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Be safe brother
Old 11-07-2014, 05:34 AM   #96
slackcat

Keep us posted.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #97
marc hildebrant

Slotblog,

Your travel story has some similarities to the story "Blue Highways" by Keith Least-Heat Moon.

Marc
Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #98
Slotblog

I'l have to look that up after I get home, Marc. Thanks for the info.

Reached Conway, AR, yesterday evening, after a run of 230 miles. Had to drive for about 20 mins after dark to get that far. which is something we've been trying to avoid doing.

Goal for today is a bit beyond Memphis (160 miles) so as to shorten the next day's run to Mt. Juliet, TN, which is about 235 miles beyond Memphis.

Car is running superbly...

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-07-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #99
mhsprecher

Man you are rollin'. Have you been checking your gas mileage? I am curious to know what you are getting.

I answered my own question. It was in the blog: 17.8 on the last leg of the trip from the blog.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 11-07-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add additional info
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #100
Slotblog

30 miles from Memphis now...

Mileage has generally been mid-16 to mid-17 MPG range.

It's a little tricky to fill the tank up to the same level every time, as some pumps don't pump as slowly as I'd like them to.

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-07-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #101
29er

Almost home. Safe travels. I've much enjoyed reading about your adventure. It would make a nice article somewhere!

Mike in Oregon
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #102
Slotblog

Thanks, Mike.

We should be home by Monday night, if all goes as planned. So three weeks and a day, from start to finish (drive from Atlanta and return), but we stayed a total of five nights in Denver (two on the outbound leg and three on the inbound).

Not really looking forward to the journey coming to an end in many ways...

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-07-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #103
P.S.

But, you now have the tactical advantage of knowing your car better than almost every other new Model A owner on the planet.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #104
cdlwingnut

sounds like a great trip.
so back on Monday night that means you can start planning and preparing for next falls road trip.
cdlwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #105
Slotblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
But, you now have the tactical advantage of knowing your car better than almost every other new Model A owner on the planet.
'Tis true. I can drive it much better now than two weeks ago.

And I have this mental list of the things I need to address and repair. too.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #106
mhsprecher

You have had a remarkable trip, in my view. Of course, the trip to Bert's was probably key to your success, but still....
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #107
Slotblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Of course, the trip to Bert's was probably key to your success...
May I gently disagree?

I believe even without Joe's serendipitous intervention, the car probably would have made it to the garage in Norcross. Remember that we had already traveled nearly 1,300 miles when we arrived in Denver.

What Joe did was to address some genuine safety concerns, primarily the brakes, and to make the car drive SO much better it is hard to quantify the level of improvement. That ramped up my confidence in the car and has made the last half of the trip much more enjoyable and much, much less tiring.

You should know that Joe has called to check on me every day since we left Denver, too.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #108
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
May I gently disagree?

I believe even without Joe's serendipitous intervention, the car probably would have made it to the garage in Norcross. Remember that we had already traveled nearly 1,300 miles when we arrived in Denver.

What Joe did was to address some genuine safety concerns, primarily the brakes, and to make the car drive SO much better it is hard to quantify the level of improvement. That ramped up my confidence in the car and has made the last half of the trip much more enjoyable and much, much less tiring.

You should know that Joe has called to check on me every day since we left Denver, too.
A quality guy that takes pride in his work
Old 11-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #109
armchair67

Sounds like a great trip! I hope to do a long distance run in my '31 Tudor this spring. I can relate to how some small tweaks can make a huge difference-about a dozen years ago a few buddies of mine and myself drove my volks bus from Chicago to California. Fighting for our lane the whole way. Stopped at a vw shop in Costa Mesa to get a replacement tire for the front-they found the alignment was way, way off. I had just had it done at a shop before heading out, but turns out they did a poor job of it. After the alignment, it was night and day difference for the return trip.

I would personally rather drive a vintage car such as yours or mine on a long distance trip than a new car, even the issues along they way can create memories and introduce new friends. Best of luck.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #110
Slotblog

We've made it to Mt. Juliet, TN, but we came in wounded.

Took the Natchez Trace for about 75 miles toward Nashville, and about halfway through the amp gauge started flicking to zero and back to a normal setting. About 15 miles before we exited the Trace, the amp gauge flicked to zero charge for good.

Limped into Mt. Juliet just as it got too dark to drive without headlights. And now I need to deal with the issue tomorrow so we can go on. The big problem is tomorrow is Sunday. I can't get anything shipped in overnight for two days.

Hoping it is a short brush we can shim, but if not, where can I get a 1930 Model A generator and/or cut-out in Nashville?

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-08-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #111
Tom Wesenberg

The brushes will have a slot, so you should be able to slide it ahead about 1/8", if worn brushes are the problem. If the commutator has burn marks, then sandpaper it smooth and use a toothpick to clean out the slots between the bars.

You also might find a broken wire that can be easily soldered. Put a volt meter on the generator output post to confirm it's the generator at fault, and not the cutout, or bad connection down the line.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #112
Slotblog

Thank you again, Tom!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #113
Tom Wesenberg

BTW, if the cutout is bad you can use a short jumper wire between the input and output terminals to get home. Just be sure to remove the jumper when the engine isn't running.

The same thing goes for a bad ammeter, just jump a wire between the two terminal box wingnuts.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #114
Slotblog

More great advice.

Just had a great breakfast at the Brigg's house in Mt. Juliet and am working on yesterday's trip report, then we'll dive into the generator to see if we can't coax it back to function for just two more days...
Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #115
Richard/Tennessee

I m located in Goodlettsville tn right off 65, appx 25 miles from Mt Juliet, I have a generator u can use to get home, call if u wish 615-585-1212.......free delivery also

Last edited by Richard/Tennessee; 11-09-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Richard/Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #116
darrylkmc

Slotblog,

Just a thought, but you can easily run for a day on a fully charged battery as long as you don't use your headlights.

If you do this you want to make certain that the generator is not producing any power, otherwise you will burn up the Generator for certain.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #117
sethkestenbaum

Your trip is inspirational.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #118
Slotblog

Darryl,

That's what we did to go from Mt. Juliet to Tullahoma, about 85 miles.

I thought about doing the same thing from Tullahoma to Atlanta, but for various reasons, just decided to order a alternator and install it before heading south. Joe Wylie convinced me that for the tour usage I envision for this car, the alternator makes more sense than a rebuilt generator.

Richard, thank you for your kind offer. We made Tullahoma by 4:15 PM. Had to travel before it got dark, you know...
Old 11-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #119
Slotblog

Thanks, Seth. It's been a lot of fun and we've had less trouble than I was anticipating. We got almost 2,500 miles before a component failure sidelined us and I didn't expect to do that.

If all goes as planned, we should arrive back home tomorrow evening in Norcross, GA.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #120
Slotblog

After a tough and frustrating day, we arrived home in Norcross, GA, at 8:55 PM local, today Nov 11. Check my trip report tomorrow to get the story.

2,700 miles on her own wheels under her own power. I'm impressed.

Many, many thanks to those special people who helped along the way. We couldn't have done it without you.

PS: We're happy to be home! LOL!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #121
darrylkmc

Slotblog,

May I be the first of many I am sure to congratulate you getting home safe and sound.

Did you travel on battery or did you do the conversion you mentioned?

Darryl in Fairbanks +28 degrees
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:02 AM   #122
Slotblog

Yes, I installed a 6v positive ground alternator that Bert's overnighted to me. Worked like a charm and I felt comfortable driving three hours in the dark to reach home tonight. I did travel one day on battery alone, for about 85 miles.

I realize I was stress-testing the old girl, and today she was pretty creaky and took a lot of attention. Got some issues to attend to now.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #123
montanafordman

Congrats on a safe trip! I also enjoyed reading about your trip.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #124
Hoogah

X2! Thanks for the stories from the road. Inspiring!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #125
armchair67

Excellent and sounds like a good time despite the issues. Impressive reliability and you are a brave man, driving a car you didn't know at the start of the trip. I was very tempted to drive my 31 home the 285 miles from where I bought it but ended up trailering it...and glad I did in this case as I made it about ten miles before troubles began. I've been driving it daily and plan to drive it on a long distance next spring
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #126
Slotblog

Just posted my trip report detailing the difficulties of the last day, and the end of our 2,700 mile journey.

Home at last but it was a struggle

I was determined to have the car reach its new home on its own wheels. It's been a trip on multiple levels.

And we were lucky. As my best man, Don Peterson, always says, "I'd rather be lucky than good."
Old 11-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #127
sethkestenbaum

Well done! Now treat yourselves to some single malts.... scotch for you and straight weight 30 for the old gal.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #128
Slotblog

Seth,

Since we visited the George Dickel distillery in my home town on the trip, after many years of passing it by, we've been tippling a little of their fine elixir in their honor and as thanks for the free tour.

It's not single malt, but it ain't bad!

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-12-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #129
P.S.

Thank you very much for your trip blog. I checked it every morning and eagerly devoured every word. You also happen to be a good writer.

Sounds like a rebuilt distributor might solve your troubles. Either that, or a dreaded timing gear. Let's hope the distributor is all.

The Model A looks better after removing the modern lettering from the rear windows.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #130
1930artdeco

I did the same thing to my Dizzy. I 'over' advanced it by just enough for it to run like garbage if I pulled the spark lever down. But, if I 'retarded' it the car ran fine. Try just replacing the points and retiming the dist. before you buy a rebuilt dist. If the car jumped timing in the gear it barely run as the valve timing will be off.

Mike
Old 11-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #131
Slotblog

Mike,

This dist is so loosey-goosey in the block, I'm going to pull it and go through it. Betcha the bushings are shot as well.

Will probably convert to the Pertronix unit, too.

There's a good chance I changed the timing via clumsiness while setting the point gap.

Last edited by Slotblog; 11-12-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #132
Fred K-OR

Greg happy you made it home from dear old Oregon. Things here weather wise now are as lot different than when you left a few days ago. High wind, snow predicted, freezing rain, etc. on the way. You never know what to expect in Oregon (weather wise that is).

Keep up your posts. Very exciting so far and it looks like you have a real keeper with your Model A.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #133
Slotblog

Thanks, Fred.

Yeah, I knew we had to go after the car and head south fast if I expected to be able to drive it all the way back.

If I heard the weather report correctly, the Atlanta area will see overnight lows of 24-26 F tonight. Gotta go drain the A's radiator!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #134
CarlG

Mother Nature has got things all screwed up and backwards. Here it's in the 40's, creeping up to the 50's right now. And this is winter in Alaska?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #135
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Mother Nature has got things all screwed up and backwards. Here it's in the 40's, creeping up to the 50's right now. And this is winter in Alaska?
Yeah and we had 0 this morning.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #136
Ted Duke

Congrats on your trip. I'd love to do something similar someday.

Ted
Old 11-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #137
31Tudor

I have been following your journey with interest each day and it certainly sounds like a fun adventure. I just wanted to give my opinion about the Petronix ignition and it always stirs a nice flurry of opinion on here. Since you just finished a 2,700 mile journey and points don't sound like they were ever a big issue, I would certainly stay with a stock distributor. Even with a points change on the road, you can get going again, the only time I have come home on a rollback was when my electronic ignition failed. I would stay with a stock distributor, you just proved it was reliable.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #138
Slotblog

Thanks for the input, 31Tudor. Yes, it was a fun adventure, one I have wanted to do for a long time.

I do need to pull the distributor and go through it.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #139
montanafordman

Another vote for the stock ignition. In my mind I see many more times people on here have problems with the modern upper plate and especially the wireless lower plate. I have put a couple thousand miles on my coupe with a distributor that I rebuilt and had zero issues with it.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #140
Slotblog

Thanks for your post, Aaron.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #141
P.S.

Add me to the list of stock distributor supporters.

I had nothing but trouble with my newly acquired Tudor until Tom Wessenberg talked me into rebuilding a distributor using all stock components, including the special super flexible wire (that most people seem to overlook and use regular wire). Have about 10,000 miles on it now without a single hiccup. Have not had to readjust points either. Make sure your distributor points cam is polished! As they come from the various dealers, they are ground and machined, but not polished. No matter how much you lube them, they will wear down a rubbing block. If you polish the rubbing surface of the cam, the rubbing block won't wear out.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #142
Slotblog

Thanks for the input, P.S!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #143
ora masters

how do you polish a cam my freind is haveing trouble with points closeing up grease on block is not helping
thanks ORA
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #144
Slotblog

Hope no one will be annoyed that I brought this thread back from the dead after almost six months...

Wanted to bring folks up to date a little...

Regarding the dist, I installed one of Bert's rebuilt modern units and other than a little trouble finding the dimple in the timing gear to locate TDC, it worked fine. No more ignition problems.

When researching dist stuff, I was very surprised to see that when the cars were new, Ford recommended adjusting the original style points every 100 miles!

Current issue is a short somewhere and I am pretty sure I know where to look. I replaced the old sealed beam units with the new high-tech reflectors, the non-H4 halogen bulbs, and new bulb sockets with wiring. Of course, the lighting harness was toast so I installed one of the nice repro harnesses as well. After I finished the install, everything worked as it should.

A couple of weeks ago I went to start the car and the battery was dead. A quick charge got me going again but now the headlights won't come on and if I don't pull the fuse after shutting the car off, the battery goes dead again rather quickly. I figured there's either a problems with the harness to socket connection on the back of the headlights (which everyone seems to complain about) or some issue with the light switch itself. I was exceedingly careful with the harness to headlight connections but I suspect that's the problem. Hope to be able to investigate this issue during the coming week.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a more reliable connector at this location? Don't see anything in the catalogs.

Attended a Ford dealership car show yesterday where a local radio station was broadcasting remotely and they interviewed me about the trip for ten minutes or so.

Dunno how many FordBarn reader are also AACA members, but there's a four-page article about the trip that will appear in the May-June of the Antique Automobile magazine that's currently at the printer. They've even used a photo I took for one of the covers, not the front, either the back or one of the inside covers.

And just last week, I was approached by the Atlanta Journal Consitution newspaper to retool my trip story for the "Personal Journeys" feature that appears on the front page of the paper's Sunday Living section most weekends. It's not a done deal yet, but it looks like it is going to happen.

Having been involved in the collector car hobby since I was 12 years old, I'm rather amused at how big a deal some are making about our trip. Back in the '60s, the collectors I knew thought nothing of driving their cars wherever they wanted to go.

My best man, Donald R. Peterson, has a 1930 Packard Speedster he drives a lot. He has a plaque he props on the windshield most of the time when he shows the car. In part, here's what it says:

"Between June 6 and July 9, 1995, this 1930 Packard 734 boat-tail speedster was driven 9,638 miles through all 48 continguous states by Donald R. Peterson."

My little trip is nothing compared to that! LOL!

Last edited by Slotblog; 05-10-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #145
Fred K-OR

Greg, good to hear from you again. Sounds like you are taking good care of your rig.

About your current questions. Do you know if your battery is good? Sometimes when a battery is bad, it will not hold a charge. Also you may want to install a cutoff switch between your battery and your starter that you can turn off rather than taking out your fuse. Sorry but don't have any good ideas on your wiring problems. May just have to go through it and see if you can pin it down. Good luck
Old 05-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #146
klawockvet

Good looking batteries with good looking terminals can still be bad. Before going any further be sure to pull the cables and scrape and file both the battery post and the cables. I just went through that on mine, recharged the battery and life is good again. For some strange reason this has been happening more often for me than in previous years. This is the fourth or fifth instance in the last few years.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #147
Mitch//pa
BANNED

when cleaning the battery terminals check for a draw with a test light..
Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #148
SteveB31

Your dead battery problem is not likely in the lights, since the lights are not on when the car is off. Most likely the problem is the battery, or the engine wiring, because the only things that can drain the battery are things that are hot all the time. Those things are the key switch, the horn, the brake light switch and the generator/alternator. Those are the only things that have power to them 24/7.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #149
cohammer60

Good luck , that will be a trip to remember and 50 years from now will be hard to believe you did that . Have a picture from 1962 standing in front of a train about to leave Rome Ga to Florida took half Day and all night with all the stops but my brother and I will never forget it.
cohammer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #150
Slotblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
About your current questions. Do you know if your battery is good? Sometimes when a battery is bad, it will not hold a charge. Also you may want to install a cutoff switch between your battery and your starter that you can turn off rather than taking out your fuse.
Fred, the battery in the car was newly replaced before I bought the car and would cheerfully crank the car after sitting for a month... before I replaced the lighting harness. Still, you may recall we drove 80% of our trip with the generator overcharging a good bit so it may be low on water.

Yeah, I'm using the starter mounted fuse as a cut-off switch. Too easy just to flip the fuse out to disable everything but the starter. And if I do that, the battery stays up and will start the car... I think. It's worked that way a couple of times anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
Good looking batteries with good looking terminals can still be bad.
True and I will indeed start at the battery. Joe Wylie at Bert's replaced the battery box in Denver midway through our trip, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a terminal corrosion issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
when cleaning the battery terminals check for a draw with a test light..
Mitch, I know that test and it will be the very first thing I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Your dead battery problem is not likely in the lights, since the lights are not on when the car is off. Most likely the problem is the battery, or the engine wiring, because the only things that can drain the battery are things that are hot all the time. Those things are the key switch, the horn, the brake light switch and the generator/alternator. Those are the only things that have power to them 24/7.
Always good to have the advice of an expert, Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohammer60 View Post
Good luck, that will be a trip to remember and 50 years from now will be hard to believe you did that.
Since I'll be 61 in July, in 50 years it'll have to be someone else remembering it! LOL!!!

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I'll report back once I've figured out the problem.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #151
Tom Wesenberg

Does the ammeter move at all (like discharge) when you put the fuse in place? This of couse will take two people to see. Check the brake switch for being stuck on.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #152
Jwilli

Good luck and have a safe trip.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #153
Slotblog

The May-June issue of the AACA's Antique Automobile hit the mailbox yesterday, with the abstract of our Oregon to Georgia trip. They used one of my pics for the inside front cover, which was nice.

At least one FordBarn member is mentioned in the text. If you're not an AACA member, you can read the article on my hobby website here:

http://slotblog.net/topic/60001-trip...club-magazine/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover2.jpg (61.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #154
rocket1

I just read the AACA article,thanks I enjoyed it.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #155
CarlG

I'll look forward to receiving my copy of AA.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote