Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #61
robert shreveport

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

RockHillWill how do I see your pictures on Vbulletin.
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #62
Mitch//pa
BANNED

yea the pics dont show up on an IPAD
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #63
Purdy Swoft

Thats a cool new avatar.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #64
Super88

Interesting project and great wife!
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #65
RockHillWill

I don't know enough about computers to answer the questions regarding not being able to see them on an Ipad or on Vbullitin. I have always been able to see other pics on my computer.

Is the problem of not being able to see here on the Fordbarn or on my website?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #66
robert shreveport

I can see anything here on Fordbarn since I am signed in. But no pictures you have on Vbulletin. Do I have to sign up somewhere for this?
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #67
RockHillWill

I do not know what the 'Vbulletin' is??? Are you talking about pictures here on the Fordbarn, or those on my website?

Often, here on the Fordbarn, when I click on a picture to see it larger, the black 'box' will not open to the larger picture unless I click again on the black 'box'.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #68
Jerry in Shasta

Smile Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

Did you ever consider putting a older (no computer) Perkins diesel with transmission? Maybe one out of a London Taxi. The torque curve, rpm's and HP is about right for an "A"

Just a thought
JB
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #69
RockHillWill

I want to stay with a Model A motor as I had one that I could use for it. I did, along with Ralph Moody (of Holman-Moody) put a Perkins motor in a lightened Pinto and witnessed a test drive where we got 83 miles per gallon. It was subsequently bought by a large American Oil company and soon 'disappeared.'
Old 09-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #70
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
yea the pics dont show up on an IPAD
They do on mine. I wonder if we are speaking about two different things?

Will, are y'all still over digitizing that RR body -or are y'all finished now?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #71
Mitch//pa
BANNED

brent i was logged in
clicked the pic link then logged in again and now they show

excellent work Will you have a talent that not many have
your a rare bird
what a beautiful speedster thanks for the pics
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #72
RockHillWill

Mitch, Glad you got it to work, I am not much good at computer 'issues'.

Brent: I just got back last night. The car we were 3D scanning is a 1935 Bugatti Type57, Serial#57314. The 3D scanning is a labor intensive job to prepare, more than the actual scanning and uses a HUGE amount of both RAM and hard drive. I just bought a new laptop to get the 16 GIG and 500 GIG hard drive to be able to work with the file size needed. We got separate scans of the fenders, grille and a few minor body panels that were easily captured and saved, but the full body scan (one side only) just about maxed out the computers speed and storage ability.

WillDans 013sm.jpg

SANY0071sm.jpg
Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #73
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Mitch, Glad you got it to work, I am not much good at computer 'issues'.

Brent: I just got back last night. The car we were 3D scanning is a 1935 Bugatti Type57, Serial#57314. The 3D scanning is a labor intensive job to prepare, more than the actual scanning and uses a HUGE amount of both RAM and hard drive. I just bought a new laptop to get the 16 GIG and 500 GIG hard drive to be able to work with the file size needed. We got separate scans of the fenders, grille and a few minor body panels that were easily captured and saved, but the full body scan (one side only) just about maxed out the computers speed and storage ability.
You know, when you restored the pick-up and the panel, your education and winning Henry Awards on those two earned you the equivalent of a High School education, ....HOWEVER you are about to skip the Bachelors degree portion of college because you are now are working on obtaining your Masters degree with that car! Few people in this world have earned the right to even touch such a piece of art, whereas you have earned the right to be the Artist on such a project. Well done, Sir!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #74
Hunter

Two weekends ago I had the pleasure of visiting Will at his shop. Through his ingenuity and determination he has assembled/fabricated an amazing set of metal shaping/forming tools.

He also took a little time and shared with me some of his life stories through pictures, trophies, and old newspaper articles.

When I first met Will a number of years ago at Hershey and listened to him, I have got to confess that I thought no person could have done all the things he said he has done over the years - NASCAR, movie making, knowing Bert Reynolds, building race cars for a movie, owning a stock car that Dale Earnhardt Senior drove, etc. Yet what you find when you get to know him is that he tends to substantially understate his achievements. My son and I attended a stock race driver's reunion near Chapel Hill a few years ago and as we walked around everyone knew Will and his contributions to the sport of racing.

He has truly led an exceptional life and is skilled beyond imagination. Thanks Will for the tour and the fabulous NC ribs that Peggy was so gracious to provide. At your suggestion my son and I visited and had a great time at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Thanks again Will!

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #75
RockHillWill

I appreciate the kind words, guys, thanks.

Here are some updates on the exhaust system. We got the individual tubes cut and fit, then mated them to the tapered collector, and tack welded in place, pending the completion of the carburetor intake manifolds.

ExhaustAssy.jpg

willy1 027.jpg

willy1 029.jpg

willy1 033.jpg

willy1 035.jpg

willy1 040.jpg

willy1 042.jpg
Old 09-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #76
RockHillWill

Been working most recently on the cockpit panels that go around the driver and passenger. I had the opening contour cut in a 'stitch' pattern on the water jet to maintain the panels 'alignment' while I was doing the shaping to fit the bulkhead contours. It is my intention to fit the panels to the bulkheads, then form a wire edge configuration, install a #9 gage wire, shape it to the contour and then rivet it around the openings. Then to cut out the 'stitched' area and hand form the opening edge around the wire edged forms giving me a 5-layer of materials to maintain the opening configuration and provide strength for getting in and out of the speedster. Some of the pictures show the SoldiWorks drawing of the closing die before the stems are welded and the side cut away. There is a 6" wide Pullmax die that results in a 'P' shaped section of metal. The lead in and exit ends of the 4 ft. long segments are poorly done in the die and will have to be cut off. I pre-formed a 135 degree edge on the panel to put the 'P' contour in because it was too small in width to maintain straightness and the formed edge made it MUCH easier to feed straight and push thru the die. Once the edging has been done, I will fit the ends of the panel to the bulkhead and then trim and install a joggled edge to make allowance for panel overlaps at each end. The panel rolls were done with the rubber tire in an old nglish wheel frame.

3wc110 057.jpg

BodyRingDie.jpg

cockpit1 002.jpg

cockpit1 003.jpg

SeatRing.jpg

ebayjuly14 001.jpg

cockpit1 005.jpg
Old 09-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #77
RockHillWill

Been making more progress on the tooling that I am expecting to use to put more character lines in the speedster panels. These are some layout pictures that I have been making to be able to use a bead roller in the hand held position to be able to use on panels that are still attached to the car. It is similar to a tool that I saw in a Cass Nawrocki book. It's nothing more than a set of bead rolls powered by a 3/8" drive air ratchet

Pic1.JPG

Pic2.JPG

Pic3.JPG

Pic6.JPG
Old 11-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #78
RockHillWill

I still have too many projects, but am whittling them down, so I can have more time to spend on Belfast, Tenn. project(s), but this weekend got some progress made on the Model A speedster. I got the rebuilt engine on the test run-in stand, the frame has been sandblasted and painted and I got some work done on the insert panel for the nose grill. I am aware that the colors for both the frame and the motor are not original Model A colors, but I have decided to paint these car items to match my old race car colors. Of particular interest to me this weekend was how nice the stretching dies work in my Carl Adams table top reciprocating machine works. Carl designed this machine in the mid '70's and has developed it as he was building MANY aluminum bodied sprint cars through the years. It has shrinking, stretching, doming dies and he has made some Pullmax style die sets over the years for his own use. Carl is a very quiet man, and you would never figure that he knows as much about metal shaping as he does. He wondered around in the background of the Redneck Roundup. The exposed edges of the stretched 'lips' in these photos shows that there is MINIMAL markings on the side of the lip that is facing the upper side of the lower die. I found it very nice, not to have to finish out this top side of the stretched area. This machine is so nice in this capacity, that I keep it set up just for linear stretching. It is not very noticeable in the picture that I took of the die set, but inserted into the bottom of the upper die is a small diameter 'rod' that runs front to rear. It is a few thousands on an inch lower at the rear of the die, so it hits a little harder in the rear, making smaller numbers of passes required to stretch a wider lip. I love it!

Speedo1 008.jpg

Speedo1 010.jpg

Speedo1 014.jpg

Speedo1 006.jpg

wc84 035.jpg
Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #79
RockHillWill

Been quite busy on some other car restoration issues, but have been doing some work on the speedster as time permits. The motor has been run on the run-in stand, the frame has been powder coated and the motor has been installed in the frame. Have decided to rivet the aluminum panels to the body with aircraft processes involved. Copper anodized aluminum truss head rivets are going to be used. I have been finishing out the lower body panels for the final fit prior to the riveting, and have fitted the upper frame section with receptacles to use the Dzus fastening system for the upper body panels that I want to be able to remove.

miscWilly 009.jpg

miscWilly 010.jpg

Mar30 004.jpg

Mar30 003.jpg

Mar30 203.jpg

Mar30 002.jpg

Speedo1 004.jpg
Old 05-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #80
RockHillWill

Just a small update: Powder coated wheels, hand fabricated/laminated steering wheel from white ash, machined hub from old '31 steering wheel. Hand made die for the louvers that will be at the lower rear of the body.

Dans2015 003.jpg

Dans2015 004.jpg

Dans2015 009bb.jpg

speed9 001.jpg

willy28 009.jpg

willy28 010.jpg