Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default A New Type of Needle and Seat

A few weeks ago I overhauled my neighbor's carb for his 1949 Jeepster. The needle and seat that was in the carb was the common shape we've always used.

The new one in the carb kit was a straight hole and flat surface for the seat, and the needle was a flat faced slug that would rest over the hole. Think of the large round pad that would just lay over the bathtub drain. Same principle. It does seem like you'd never have a problem with a stuck needle.

This is the first time I've seen this style, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen one or had experience with this style?

Could such a style be in the future for Model A carbs?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
Flathead

Default Re: A New Type of Needle and Seat

I think Thexton made a valve like that for their carb. kits a long time ago. As I recall they worked good.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
Pete

I have been using them since the early 50's and have posted the info on several forums many times but it just seems to not soak in.
They not only last longer, do not stick, will handle 8 lb of fuel pressure and will work with alcohol and nitromethane.
Here is the URL once again:
http://www.daytonaparts.com
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
mleder

Pete: in your post you left us the web site of daytonaparts.com. Do you have a part number of theirs for the use in Zenith carbs that you've had these good results?
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
[email protected]

Their website has a kit finder feature that takes you to 2 p/ns. One for Zeniths and the other for Tillys but they also suggest that you just give them a call with your order request to prevent them from shipping out the wrong ones......
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Cool Hand Lurker

I wonder if this type of valve would work well to replace the GAV on a Model A or the gas tank shutoff valve. Both of those have a history of the taper wearing out to the point that they no longer work. ??
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
TinCup

I spent over an hour on the phone today with Ron Hewitt at Daytona. They currently do not manufacture their patented "Daytona" float valve for either the Zenith or the Tillitson but has some interest in doing so. They do manufacture a standard carb kit for these. I encouraged him to look into production of their better float as an alternative to what is currently available. He promised to keep me appraised if they could do so.

Last edited by TinCup; 09-25-2015 at 01:12 PM.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Drive Shaft Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A few weeks ago I overhauled my neighbor's carb for his 1949 Jeepster. The needle and seat that was in the carb was the common shape we've always used.

The new one in the carb kit was a straight hole and flat surface for the seat, and the needle was a flat faced slug that would rest over the hole. Think of the large round pad that would just lay over the bathtub drain. Same principle. It does seem like you'd never have a problem with a stuck needle.

This is the first time I've seen this style, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen one or had experience with this style?

Could such a style be in the future for Model A carbs?
Tom, back in the early seventie's I had a 71 Jeepster Commando,V6 Rochester 2bbl. It had the same float valve you describe.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote