Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
oswego37

Default Upholstery/interior question

I,m trying to finish my 37 Ford convertible. I want to buy the materials and do the interior myself. After several conversations with LeBarron Bonney, I'm unimpressed with their responses. There must be someone else to supply the leather, vinyl, etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ernie
oswego37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Upholstery/interior question

You might try Classtique, they do Model T and A's but they may be able to
help if you just want material. https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
johndee138

Albrights in Mississippi has great prices and quick shipping
I bought a lot of stuff from them
If you want mohair, I'm not sure they have such but worth a looksee since the prices and service are so great
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #4
Ford coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswego37 View Post
I,m trying to finish my 37 Ford convertible. I want to buy the materials and do the interior myself. After several conversations with LeBarron Bonney, I'm unimpressed with their responses. There must be someone else to supply the leather, vinyl, etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ernie
Maybe Macs auto in NY..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #5
slowforty

I dont know if you are doing this car correct or as a driver. My upholstery guy used some fabric from a late model Ford Taurus. It looks just like the original fabric and wears well.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
richard crow

hursh in new jersey
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
rotorwrench

SMS Auto Fabrics is a source. They can even get some of the more rare pattern fabrics since they contract to a few outfits that still have the big weaving-loom machines. A person has to call them to find out what all they have or they will send you swatches of fabrics they have available for a particular make & model.

I purchased a used Consew 206 from an outfit that was manufacturing western style furniture. It was old and used but still in very usable condition. Walking foot machines are the way to go. I use an electronic control motor so I can work it a lot slower than a clutch motor drive.

Leather is by the hide so quality depends on who tanned & died the hide. You don't want holes in there so be prepared to spend a lot on hides. There are a lot of sources for leather. Bill Hirsch was a good supplier but I don't know if his family is still going to keep it going after he died recently.
http://www.hirschauto.com/Leather/departments/31/

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-20-2019 at 10:36 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
DavidG

You have two choices if you wish to duplicate the original upholstery options that Ford offered for '37 club cabriolets and cabriolets (or perhaps only one if you have remnants of what was originally in your car and you wish to replicate it). The more expensive one would be the leather (on the seating surfaces)/artificial leather (on the trim panels) combination as shown in the photo below.

If your goal is authenticity or even just uniformity, it is best to start with finding a artificial leather (vinyl these days) for the panels that you are happy with and then have the requisite number of hides custom tanned to match the vinyl. Or you could be very lucky and find some already tanned hides that match your vinyl.

The other option that Ford offered for the two cabriolets was Bedford cord cloth upholstery. Hirsch is an excellent source for Bedford cord upholstery material by the yard and money wise, the cloth option will turn out to be much less of an outlay for material. If your car was originally upholstered in Bedford cord and you don't have any remnants of the original gray taupe colonial grain artificial leather used on the cowl trim panels and top well, perhaps someone here or on the Early Ford V8 Club website can provide you with a sample for matching purposes. The Bedford cord material color was also gray taupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2993.jpg (64.4 KB, 41 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote