Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
Arlen

Default AACA Hershey Car Show Rules

I love the October Hershey swap meet more than the average person but this last year was a disappointment to me. At the Saturday car show, there was a huge number of late 70's early 80's crap cars that showed up for judging. I know in our hobby, the 25 year old mark is a magic number but all throughout the car show, you could hear people talking about it. Before I had even left the show, there were rumors that AACA was going to do something to get those cars out of the show. Then I never heard anything more on it. Does anybody know if I should expect to see a bunch of 1985 Cadillacs this year or are we going to once again get to see one of the finest car shows in the world?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: AACA Hershey Car Show Rules

I haven't missed a Hershey meet since the first one Dad and I went to in 1969. I think everyone judges the meet from the first one they went to, and I believe the 25 year old rule has caused a decline in the quality of the overall show. Look at it this way, if you were 85 years old would you load up a Brass Era car in a trailer and tow it to Hershey, or drive the 25 year old pickup you bought new to haul it, and drive it onto the show field and park it in the truck class? With rare exception there aren't many cars that were in a new dealership showroon that turn my head.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Steve Wastler

It's funny back in the day the shows/swaps not to miss in PA were spring Carlisle, fall Hershey. I stopped going to Carlisle 15 years ago, I hope I never feel that way about Hershey!!!!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow Arlen, while I realize this is frustrating you, AACA is about the preservation and participation of a collector vehicle. IMHO it truly does not matter whether the start is 25 years old, or a 35, ...or even 45 year vehicle there probably will always be some vehicle at the show that seems too modern. And, no matter where you start it, there will always be vehicles on the field that you are not necessarily attracted to however the AACA can make a great argument that some folks must like them if there are that many late 70's/early 80's vehicles being entered into the show.

Another strong point they can make is that clubs all complain about getting younger people involved in collector car hobby. If you were to think about a 40 year old family man, he likely has been driving about 25 years, and if he can find a car like he drove to high school, --or maybe one like he wanted to drive to high school, it helps him 're-connect with his youth' on an affordable budget.

I might also add that there is way more to AACA than just a Saturday car show. To me you really need to attend a distant meet as a participant and sign up for all of the event's activities to truly understand. Attendees soon realize that there are sightseeing tours and activities to do for the entire weekend (generally starts on Thursday) where it quickly becomes a place where friends all meet and hang out with each other for fellowship.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Kevin in NJ

At some local shows people are showing up with very crappy unrestored early 80's cars. It seems clear some are still driving them everyday, but are taking advantage of the insurance and historic plates.

Then there are the grand parents cars. You know, the low value cars that are pristine perfect garage kept time machines. You know that perfect AMC Pacer that looks like it came off the truck. You know that the sons and grand sons were wishing they bought the Javelin so they could burn some rubber

It is nice to see some of those cars being kept nice. I believe these newer cars are not going to be restorable. The plastics are going to degrade even NOS in the box.

The new cars we see today are certainly not going to be maintainable. The electronics are not going to survive and the manufacturers are not going to support the electronics. If the computer on any critical part goes the car become junk. These news are going to be junked just because it will cost too much to make the check engine light turn off. I know of one newer car that needed a new computer to make the light go off, but it would not marry with the old security computer. So $7000 later the check engine light is off and it can pass inspection.

Which brings me back to pre-computer cars. Driving a pre computer car may not be such a bad thing in the future. Keep in mind the Model A can run on crappy fuels, they may become a desirable thing to drive on the roads in the future as supplies of oil taper off.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You do realize that each year now "newer" cars are going to be accepted into AACA.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Frank Miller

Hershey started in 1953 so guess which significant car here was not accepted. The first vehicle I drove to Hershey is an antique and I am one of the younger guys here. If someone shows up with a nice looking 85 Cadillac remember he has less access to parts for that than you do for your Model A. Kevin is right that many cars today will not be restorable in the future because of the complexity of the electronics. Some are not even worth fixing today.
If you want to see all Model As go to a Model A meet. If you are at a general car show expect to see everything that show encompasses. Appreciate it for what it is and that someone is taking the time to preserve it.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
At some local shows people are showing up with very crappy unrestored early 80's cars.
I stopped going to my local car show because I always seemed to get parked next to a PT Cruiser that was kept meticulously clean.

I understand keeping the hobby alive requires allowing newer and more unorthodox (to me) cars into the hobby. I just got sick of going to a car show that allows any car in.
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Also, AACA has a LARGE number of classes to accomodate the increasing range of vehicles, and only a few cars in each class at the nationals level...so there is lots of turf for those 1985 cars.
I have ALWAYS enjoyed the bigger and more interesting range of cars in the car corral area at Hershey, along with the neat old stuff parked here and there around the fleamarket. There are even mini-shows in there, like that club of people with Brighton run aged cars, and little spectaculars like some guy firing up a steamer...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Deluxe Delivery

I can remember walking the Hershey Flea Market and hearing the announcement on the loud speaker that "a 1958 Chevy in so and so space must be removed immediately !" It seems almost quaint now that such an automobile was ordered removed from the Hershey field because of it's age. And I'm sure in the 60's one could overhear someone complaining of all these "modern" 30's and 40's cars now passing for antiques ! I think, Arlen, with all respect, is that you are, like the rest of us, experiencing the "creep of years". To that toddler, that '85 Cadillac is every bit as strange and old as anything that inspired us in our youth. I ,too admit that I miss the really old cars at all shows these days, but am thankful someone still cares about any "old" car. And Hershey and the aaca is just doing what it always has...treasuring past and passing technology while adjusting to an ever aging ( and passing) membership and keeping the passion alive in the next generation.
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Ok to add a twist to this, have you considered that vehicles such as a Shay are now eligible to be displayed at an AACA meet?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Steve Wastler

Damn Brent, I hate those things.....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Barry B./ Ma.

All right guys, time marches on and everything becomes collectable given enough time, bear with it. I also have a 2001 PT Cruiser and its been a great car thats getting older every day and they don't make any more. At my age I won't see it at Hershey but maybe someone will. In the meantimeI'll enjoy my Model A's.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

"I can remember..."
Remember...the first Carlisle swapmeet? Maybe early '70'?
That was a response to a Hershy AACA crackdown hunting and expelling anything post-1939 from the fields, If I remeber correctly.
This produced a huge reaction because it suddenly rendered half the early V8 restorers homeless, and lots of others with the postwar cars that were becoming collectible at the time.
I'm pretty sure about the 1939 cutoff, so the rule must have been somewhat different back then. The crackdown was severe and generated a lot of hostility at the time...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
peters180a/170b

Its at every A.A.C.A. National meet not only at Hershey.... I don't want to see that CRAP , that's right i said it THAT CRAP of late model cars Who wants to see a 1974 Vega or a Chevy Malibu ...U.G.L.Y. ! If anything they should have on Friday cars over 1970 and on Saturday under 1970. What pisses me off is the DRIVER CLASS!!! that class takes away at least 10 to 15 judges at Hershey to be judged. Its a JOKE ! It looks like a parking lot at WAL-MART !!! I stopped judging for awhile because i got that class back to back years.AND it SUCKS....
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Fred
BANNED

I remember going to Hershey when the show cars were shown only inside the stadium on the football field.. Plus at that time you better not say you had a Model "A" Ford, as it was almost considered total "JUNK" by some !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
spdway1

At our car cruise nights we call PT Cruisers, PT Loosers, Gotta love a car with a PLASTIC intake! And there is a reason why they don't make them anymore! Sorry owners!

Last edited by spdway1; 02-09-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Add more
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
Roadster62

While we're at it, what is the reason behind all the open hoods on the 1950-1985 cars? Looks like feeding time at the alligator zoo. NOTHING spoils the look of a car more than an open hood.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
Arlen

So my question hasn't been answered. What brought this up was that I heard aaca was going to vote on making Hershey 40 years old or older for the show. I didnt know if that was all rumor or if there was anything to it.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
Roadster62

Sounds like that myth about the show being moved to Akron, Ohio because there was more room and flat parking lots. The POST WAR cars rule and wouldn't stand for any changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
So my question hasn't been answered. What brought this up was that I heard aaca was going to vote on making Hershey 40 years old or older for the show. I didnt know if that was all rumor or if there was anything to it.