Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
aussie

Default 1946 ford

Hi guys I have just bought a 1946 supper deluxe convertible , this is my first v8 I have 2 model a's one with a Donovan engine .The 46 is totally original it was restored 15 years ago , I have trouble starting it when it is hot the fuel line does not feel hot but the carby feels hot . hope someone can help have a great day Steve
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: 1946 ford

Hard starting when "hot" is most likely a coil related problem. If your '46 has a stock coil, I'd start by replacing it with a new style 6 volt coil and see if that doesn’t fix the problem. If it does, and you want to still use the stock coil, you can have it rebuilt by Skip Haney here in the U.S.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
jimTN

Sounds like a condenser problem to me. It is not expensive to change both the coil and condenser and that should help things a lot.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
TJ

Does it turn over slowly when hot or does it turn over like it should and just refuses to start? If it turns over slowly you could have some grounding issues and a weak battery. Clean all the grounds and make sure you have all the proper grouns needed on the car. Then check the battery voltage. If it turns over like it should, but refuses to start, then you probably have a coil or condenser issue.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Henry/Kokomo

Changing out the condenser on the side of the distributor can be a challenge. I made a small bracket out of aluminum angle and moved the condenser to the coil bracket. Much easier to change/check in that location. Works well unless you are after a 1000pt. restoration. FWIW
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
trainguy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
As TJ stated,it is a good chance it is a poor battery connection.Clean and tighten all battery and ground connections.Make sure you have a ground strap from chassis to the engine,and that the starter mating surfaceto bell housing is clean bolts are tight and that you have the front support strap from the starter bolt to the pan bolt.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
ford3

it could be any one of the electrical problems described, but you sayig the carb is hot makes me think the fuel is being boiled out of carb into the intake manifold and then into the engine. if so that causes two problems, a flooded engine and a carb with an empty fuel bowl, which can cause a loy of ctanking to refill the carb, two things to try, one, when you shut engine off look down the carb and see if gas is flowing out of it into the manifold, if so you probably have found the problem, if not that pull a spark plug wire and have some one turn engine over and see if the plug fires, if it does then its not electrical
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
aussie

Thankyou for your replys it has given me something to work on .I love where they put the points I am not looking forward to setting them .Steve
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
46deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
Thankyou for your replys it has given me something to work on .I love where they put the points I am not looking forward to setting them .Steve
It's easier to just pull the dizzy out and do it out of the car .
Got any pics of your convert ?
46deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Distributor work on a '42-8:
Pop the cap loose...it can remain dangling on its wires. Reach in with your fingers and remove the rotor...remember where it was pointed to speed reinstallation...remove the 2 bolts holding distributor to engine (1/2" wrench) and the primary wire to coil if you wish. Distributor now comes right out for work. Once you have done this and learned how to reach everything, this procedure is very fast and can be done mostly by touch. Points and timing can be worked on in comfort in your living room now.
Reverse to reinstall...you will need to hold distributor against front of cam and rotate it by the rotor till the drive clicks into place. remembering the rotor direction will speed this...note that the drive tab is offset, so everything will go together properly only one way.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote