Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
Stingray70

Default Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive

My wife and I are planning a trip in the Model A in late September. We plan to take about 10 days to drive the entire length of the Parkway and maybe the Skyline too. I figure about 3 hours of driving per day with a few down days to do some hiking/sightseeing along the way. This will be BY FAR the longest trip we have taken since we bought the coupe 18 months ago. Probably the longest trip this car has been on for at least 60 years. I am confident in the car mechanically, but understand that anything can happen with a 90 year old machine.

I would love to hear from any of you who have done this in your Model As. What to expect, things to avoid, and must do things? How hard on the car will this trip really be? Any tips or advice welcome.

Cheers
Old 06-30-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive

Here's an article on doing the BRP on a bike, I think a lot of the advice might be relevant.
https://www.blueridgeparkwaydaily.co...-ridge-parkway
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
jack backer
BANNED

You’ll be pulling grades,folks in moderns are intolerant but there are turnouts.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

I did it on my old 1969 Triumph motorcycle some years ago, was really a nice trip.

Bluffs Lodge in Doughton Park is a must do place to stay, if it's still open.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/550214.htm#4/34.42/-98.53
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
springerpete

Keep in mind that the speed limits are fairly low, 40-45 mph, so you should have a good chance with traffic. My experience was that once the park police are aware of a slow vehicle they take more care to watch out. I'm sure you'll get lots more suggestions. Enjoy.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
pkhammer

The Blue Ridge Parkway is 469 miles of a winding mountain 2 lane road. Add on another 106 miles or so if you do the Skyline drive through the Shenandoah National Park. Speed limit ranges from 35-45 mph so it's a nice laid back cruise. Lots of sights to see along the entire route and there are some good websites with maps to help you plan. Since it's mountainous there are grades to pull and some long downhill stretches but not too steep in most places. We've done it many times on motorcycles and in a sportscar but never in a model A. You should be fine though. Lots of places to pull over if needed.
pkhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:17 PM   #7
MAG

On one of our cross country trips in the Model A we drove the Parkway on our way to DC. Drove it the other direction on the return trip home. 3800 miles no trouble. Beautiful drive.

Last edited by MAG; 06-30-2022 at 05:23 PM.
MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:14 PM   #8
Jim/GA

If the weather is nice (and it should be in September) then the BRP is a very pleasant drive. No commercial vehicles are allowed on the Parkway. The speed limit is perfect for the Model A. Lots of twists and turns, but you are going slow and enjoying the view.

You need to plan your day. You need to know in advance where food, fuel, rest steps are located; don't just charge off on the drive. There is minimal signage, no billboards. It is a scenic parkway. Lots of beautiful scenic outlooks.

Have fun!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
nkaminar

I love the Parkway. Our Model A group just had a 4 day tour centered at Volunteer Gap. The Parkway is just a short hop from our house. Our group is planning another tour centered at Little Switzerland at the southern end of the Parkway for October 21-24. If you are still around then, stop by. That time of year is when the leaves turn colors. Very beautiful.

Keep us informed on your progress. I may hop on the Parkway to join you for part of your journey.

There is a good app available for your cell phone that will help you with your travel plans. See https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/brp...l-planner-app/
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-30-2022 at 07:46 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:55 PM   #10
larrys40

We were just out there in May with the southeastern touring group and it was a good trip. I’ve had Model A’s out there a number of times.
Scenic highlights are grandfather mountain and lots of others. Grandfather says you have to schedule it but we just drove up during the week. I would not tour the parkway on the weekend.
Back in 2012 or 13 when there was a model A tour out there our small group also took a side trip to the Andy Griffith museum in mt airy NC. Defiantly worth the side trip. Some say it’s cheesy but it is still neat.
Get your photo with the bronze statues out front.
Make sure your radiator, brakes and all are top notch. If you have an overdrive that is a plus. 2nd high comes in handy.
Fabulous trip .
Larry

Last edited by larrys40; 06-30-2022 at 10:19 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:24 AM   #11
Stingray70

Thanks for the info guys. We plan to do most of our driving on weekday mornings so traffic should be less busy. Great suggestions and links, keep them coming.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:05 AM   #12
nkaminar

Grandfather mountain is named for the profile that looks like an old man, not an actual grandfather. It is worth paying to drive to the top and walk across the suspension bridge. Make sure your brakes are good and use low gear coming and going. The road to the top has some sharp turns and is steep.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #13
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I love the Parkway. Our Model A group just had a 4 day tour centered at Volunteer Gap. The Parkway is just a short hop from our house. Our group is planning another tour centered at Little Switzerland at the southern end of the Parkway for October 21-24. If you are still around then, stop by. That time of year is when the leaves turn colors. Very beautiful.

Keep us informed on your progress. I may hop on the Parkway to join you for part of your journey.

There is a good app available for your cell phone that will help you with your travel plans. See https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/brp...l-planner-app/

My wife and I drove her mustang convertible last year to Little Switzerland to the Big Lynn lodge and had a very nice time. It is a step back in time among beautiful surroundings.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #14
shew01

Default Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive

I live in Roanoke near the parkway. Be on the lookout for bicycles and motorcycles. It’s easy to come up on a herd of bicycles without warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 07-01-2022 at 06:29 PM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #15
Clem Clement

stunning drive. I've done it in my Model a several times. Way back I ran it in a '54 Merc ragtop. tuneup your engine and inspect you brakes (as you would do on any long trips. Carry a list of Model Aers along the way. Carry spare parts as well. There are great lists here on Fordbard
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #16
pkhammer

Mount Pisgah south of Asheville is a great place to stay. Nice Lodge and restaurant right along the Parkway. Make reservations.
pkhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #17
Oldtmtech

I know there have been road closures around Roanoke always good to check so as no surprises
I am 20 miles from the Swift Run Gap entrance to the Skyline Drive (mile 65.5) have done the Drive in my old motorcycle
Also some good parallel roads in the Shenandoah Valley thru towns such as Luray which has the caverns and the car and carriage museum
Oldtmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:50 PM   #18
Chuck Dempsey

Speaking of road closures, here is the NPS website to plan ahead if needed....

Good Luck!

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvis....8412/-80.6493
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:04 PM   #19
Ivan in southeast va.

Going up hill is easier than down. Watch your speed when going down steep grades. You need to be in a lower gear. Without a synchronized transmission, it's nearly impossible to down shift when you are flying down hill. Hot brakes give out quickly.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #20
History

I know there is a detour in laurel Springs area for a bridge rebuild, just south of doughton park. My shop is just 1/4 mile off the parkway on US 21 close to Sparta Nc. Message me if you are need of anything in that area. If you like message me a I’ll give you my cell#,that way you’ll be able to contact me easier. I can tell you where to stay/eat in my area.
History is offline   Reply With Quote