Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #61
51504bat

Default Re: Covid excuse to play hookey

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
if there is a junkyard around. try a tank from an aerostar ford minivan, the tank is plastic and has a fuel pump in it. holds about 15 gallons

When I first got the '40 1 1/2 ton that I used to have I used a metal auxiliary tank out of a Boston Whaler. About 15 gallons IIRC. Had mounting tabs to bolt it to the floor as well as a gas gauge built into the tank. Should be able to find something like that on an island.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #62
GB SISSON

My son and I drove the Foyota to town this afternoon to finish a bunch of trim and cabinetry we did at the new outdoor clothing store there. As we were loading up the truck my 27 year old son said " Dad, you sure we wanna run the jalopy into town for this job ? We really don't look that professional showing up in this thing"...... He could not have beem more wrong. I spent all afternoon with the tourists (and locals) that wanted to hear all about this contraption. I had a blast and he did all the trim and cutting and fitting to complete the job.... Sure dinner was cold at 7:30, but we finalized the job and will invoice them in the morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working in town 2.jpg (124.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg working in town 1.jpg (137.1 KB, 79 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:53 AM   #63
PeteVS

I read the sign. Ha! Real "active islanders" wear jackets with the cuffs taped up!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #64
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
My son and I drove the Foyota to town this afternoon to finish a bunch of trim and cabinetry we did at the new outdoor clothing store there. As we were loading up the truck my 27 year old son said " Dad, you sure we wanna run the jalopy into town for this job ? We really don't look that professional showing up in this thing"...... He could not have beem more wrong. I spent all afternoon with the tourists (and locals) that wanted to hear all about this contraption. I had a blast and he did all the trim and cutting and fitting to complete the job.... Sure dinner was cold at 7:30, but we finalized the job and will invoice them in the morning!

GB, Just consider it some more OJT for the young'em under the watchful eye of the master.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #65
GB SISSON

I still haven't built that windshield, but here is a sort of roadster type I mocked up in scrap plywood. In steel I would radius the upper corners a bit. I envision the frame made from 1 1/2" x 1/8" steel strap inner and outer sections the same. Around the perimeter is 3/8" key stock tacked to one side. In the center of the strap a row of carriage bolts to draw the two halves together, pinching the 1/4" safety glass in with glass sealing tape or a u shaped rubber strip as cushion. It would have the feel of something in the realm of WW2 bomber windscreen , the carriage bolts adding to the look. Painted black for now.

Every now and then I think of painting this thing completely in flat desert tan with some stencils here and there. Couldn't find a better paint scheme to hide the bumps, dings and patches, and I bet it would look really cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plywood windshield mockup.jpg (147.3 KB, 217 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 11-13-2021, 01:22 AM   #66
neilp

I like your truck and your location.

PML
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:48 AM   #67
mercman from oz

Fun Ford Jail-Bar Pick-Up by GB SISSON
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #68
sugarmaker

Gb,
Sure looks like something I would drive and enjoy also! Thank you for keeping us up to date on the jailbar build! Yea taking it to town was a good thing!
You do a great job of building things!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #69
mfirth

Neat stuff Pete & GB. Thanks ! Keep on truck'n.....
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #70
GB SISSON

Uncovered these photos today of a month long trip taken in this toyota when it was a landcruiser back in 1993. 3300 miles towing our 1966 Aloha Travel trailer to Disneyland, Death Valley, Jerome AZ, and the Grand Canyon with 3 kids in the back seat. Had 600 bucks in cash (from the sale of a worn out farmall tractor) under the front floor mat for gas. Had 60.00 left upon our return. In the trailer were supplies for a month including a 50 lb sack of oatmeal for breakfasts, sandwhich fixins for lunch at rest stops and municiple parks, and the dinners were home (trailer) cooked at our campground. We never got a motel and had one meal out. A Wendys!
The wagon was quite heavy and had 3.73 axles and 32" dia, 235 86r 16s on non USA toyota six lug split rims sourced from a wrecking yard in Whiterock BC. Pretty slow on the hills but we knew it would be and we had a month..... The chassis/engine/drivetrain is still top notch at 195,000 and counting. Last compression test shows numbers are well above what they were when I dragged this thing outa the woods a year ago. Front to rear now: 170, 159, 169,170, 168, 168. Head/pan never off. OK back to the ford sheet metal, I just wanted to show you all that this will be a very capable and road worthy 'jalopy'. Next time we'll ditch the trailer, stay in motels and upgrade to Red Lobster!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FV 1.jpg (102.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg FV 2.jpg (120.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg FV 4.jpg (131.9 KB, 165 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #71
Zeke3

GB, thanks for the pictures and the story, sounds like a great vacation and the wagon looks very capable for the trip.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #72
petehoovie

Quote:
Uncovered these photos today of a month long trip taken in this toyota when it was a landcruiser back in 1993. 3300 miles towing our 1966 Aloha Travel trailer to Disneyland, Death Valley, Jerome AZ, and the Grand Canyon with 3 kids in the back seat. Had 600 bucks in cash (from the sale of a worn out farmall tractor) under the front floor mat for gas. Had 60.00 left upon our return. In the trailer were supplies for a month including a 50 lb sack of oatmeal for breakfasts, sandwhich fixins for lunch at rest stops and municiple parks, and the dinners were home (trailer) cooked at our campground. We never got a motel and had one meal out. A Wendys!
The wagon was quite heavy and had 3.73 axles and 32" dia, 235 86r 16s on non USA toyota six lug split rims sourced from a wrecking yard in Whiterock BC. Pretty slow on the hills but we knew it would be and we had a month..... The chassis/engine/drivetrain is still top notch at 195,000 and counting. Last compression test shows numbers are well above what they were when I dragged this thing outa the woods a year ago. Front to rear now: 170, 159, 169,170, 168, 168. Head/pan never off. OK back to the ford sheet metal, I just wanted to show you all that this will be a very capable and road worthy 'jalopy'. Next time we'll ditch the trailer, stay in motels and upgrade to Red Lobster!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #73
cas3

Livin the good life there GB. My brother had a landcruiser wagon like that, let me borrow it for a trip to Colorado in the mid 70's, I felt like a big shot with a 4x4 in the mountains back then
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #74
51504bat

Quote:

In the mid '70's a buddy had a similar Landcruiser. He knew it was slow but just didn't know how slow. UNTIL. He was on vacation towing a tent trailer with his family going camping in the Sierra's. Leaving Bishop, CA northbound on US 395 the Sherman grade showed him just how slow the Toyota was. So slow a VW camper van passed him. Needless to say he wasn't shall we say a happy camper. Shortly after that the Landcruiser was traded off.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:25 PM   #75
PeteVS

I have to ask where are the happy kids now a days?
Old 11-16-2021, 11:47 PM   #76
GB SISSON

Left to right at the picnic table... Cole returned to Orcas Island after graduating from U of W and living all over and becoming a wine 'sommelier' sp? He bought 5 acres in the woods and opened a wine shop in town. And now a bistro across the street with morning coffee and wine bar in the afternoons. Me, I get my wine in a box at the gas station. Not only is it cheaper, but I can't see how much I've had. He's 40 years old. Next is Molly, 37 been a 3rd grade teacher in Seattle for 14 years and has a masters degree in elementary ed. Husband is a prosecuting attorney puttin' bad guys away. 3 kids! Next is Sophie at 34 yrs old , she is an insurance broker in downtown Seattle, husband in commercial real estate and they have 2 kids. Next is the EX. She strops by quite often to hear what's up with the kids. Not shown is Herb. He is 27 now, not born at the time of this photo. He hasn't amounted to much as he works for his old 'Pops, making stuff outa wood. We have a good time doing it though.....And since he has good hands and can still see, he does all the mechanican and fixin when stuff breaks. Me, I convinced my math teacher to lie so I could graduate with my HS class. You just had to ask, didn't you?????

Last edited by GB SISSON; 11-16-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #77
cas3

I beg to differ GB, I believe Herb is doing just fine by learning wood skills from his dad, the master wood guy. No matter how far "advanced" our crazy world gets, it will still need skilled tradesmen.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #78
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I beg to differ GB, I believe Herb is doing just fine by learning wood skills from his dad, the master wood guy. No matter how far "advanced" our crazy world gets, it will still need skilled tradesmen.
And I'd like for you all to know I was being a bit 'tongue in cheek' about Herb. I took a ferry to a neighboring island today to pick up a flatbed full of reclaimed lumber, and he went to the job site here on Orcas and took care of today's details. I am equally proud of all of them!
Old 11-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #79
cas3

GB, of coarse I knew it was some "tongue in cheek", I guess I was thinking more that I support his decision to stay on the Island and work with Dad, as opposed to life in the big city no matter how lucrative it may be. I am a country guy, if you haven't figured that out ! Sorry if I am getting off coarse
Old 11-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #80
GB SISSON

CAS, I totally get that you are a country boy like so many of us. And yes, 'we can survive'. It's gotten so I dread any trip to Seattle. My kids and Grandkids pretty much have to get on the ferry if they want to see us. OK, now we can get back to toyotas, I mean FORDS!