Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
CatMan1

Default Factory Assembly Manual

Do they make a reprint of a Factory Assembly Manual? I assume Ford had one? I have one for one of my other old vehicles and I thought it would be handy to have one for my A.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Factory Assembly Manual

Ford didn't publish any that I'm aware of. The assembly lines at each plant were broken down into sections so that each section boss could train their people but they only had to train for the jobs in their section. Henry likely would have considered publishing a manual a waste of time since they made constant changes on the fly throughout the four years of production.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-23-2021 at 06:46 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Gene F

CatMan1 I know what you are talking about, as I have one for my ElCamino. No, there never was one. The closest thing to it was a book with Ford's update bulletins. That book is not near what you are acustomed to.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
Jim Mason

Here's as close as I've seen. From American Macinist magazine re: very early 1928. much was changed through production.

http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/assembly.html
Old 06-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #5
CatMan1

Very interesting! I'm really enjoying learning all I can about these cars. I've been around, and owned old cars all my life.....mostly GM cars from the 40's - 60's, but the Model A is a whole different creature! I do have the Factory Assembly Manual for my '55 Chevy truck.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
Very interesting! I'm really enjoying learning all I can about these cars. I've been around, and owned old cars all my life.....mostly GM cars from the 40's - 60's, but the Model A is a whole different creature! I do have the Factory Assembly Manual for my '55 Chevy truck.
Exactly what are you wanting to accomplish with this manual? Is this for just generalized reading or are you needing it to do a restoration where you are determining the steps needed and what order?

For us, I have put together a Restoration Template that we use on the projects in the shop using Excel. Depending on which bodystyle it is for the number varies but the task list for restoration process is over 800 task items. Then, there are some tasks that are broken into further detail such as Upholstery, Engine, and Wood. On those sheets, they vary like the Engine Rebuilding has like 62 steps on it, whereas the Upholstery list may have as many a couple hundred individual tasks depending on the type bodystyle and the complexity of making each piece for the seats, panels and top. The same thing can be said for the Wood list, as each task on the Wood sheet involves cutting each piece that makes up an assembly. Naturally the wood fabrication task sheet for a 150 Station Wagon is going to include many more pieces than what a 40 Roadster would be. The same applies for a Roadster upholstery over a Fordor. Probably TMI for most people too, but for us it helps with scheduling and making sure task predecessors are completed prior to assigning the next task.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Exactly what are you wanting to accomplish with this manual? Is this for just generalized reading or are you needing it to do a restoration where you are determining the steps needed and what order?

For us, I have put together a Restoration Template that we use on the projects in the shop using Excel. Depending on which bodystyle it is for the number varies but the task list for restoration process is over 800 task items. Then, there are some tasks that are broken into further detail such as Upholstery, Engine, and Wood. On those sheets, they vary like the Engine Rebuilding has like 62 steps on it, whereas the Upholstery list may have as many a couple hundred individual tasks depending on the type bodystyle and the complexity of making each piece for the seats, panels and top. The same thing can be said for the Wood list, as each task on the Wood sheet involves cutting each piece that makes up an assembly. Naturally the wood fabrication task sheet for a 150 Station Wagon is going to include many more pieces than what a 40 Roadster would be. The same applies for a Roadster upholstery over a Fordor. Probably TMI for most people too, but for us it helps with scheduling and making sure task predecessors are completed prior to assigning the next task.

Mostly for general reading. I thought it might be helpful to see how some areas of the car were assembled.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:38 PM   #8
rotorwrench

I had to do the same thing as Brent in 10-U-C for the helicopters I work on. It takes a while to build or generate this kind of information but it is a good way to show a customer or potential customer exactly what was or will be done on major tear down and build up.

Model As can be relatively simple compared to many other antique vehicles but it depends on the model or type of body how much work has to be done. The Les Andres Model A maintenance publications volume I and II are a good reference for a lot of stuff. The Ford service bulletin book is also a good one to have.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-24-2021 at 08:12 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #9
marty in Ohio

Very interesting reading. Only 71 steps, as easy as that!
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
Mostly for general reading. I thought it might be helpful to see how some areas of the car were assembled.
IMO, you will learn more by studying old factory photos, -either from some books by authors such as George DeAngelis & Leslie Henry or from looking at photos at the Benson Library to see procedures and methods.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote