Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
My50sfords

Default 1952 Ford Ranch Wagon VIN

I'm trying to get a title for a 52 Ranch Wagon that was my Father's. It has sat in a field since 1960. Everyone who would know about this car are no longer alive. I need a valid VIN in order to get a title. There is a plate on the right front door pillar. It has a serial # and vehicle description but no VIN. I haven't found any other plates or numbers on the car. Maybe the Serial # was the same as Vin back then. Does anyone know if there was a VIN was on a 1952 ford car? I appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 id tag.jpg (61.6 KB, 66 views)
My50sfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 1952 Ford Ranch Wagon VIN

This should help : http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm.

The serial number was the VIN back in those days.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

As stated the top number is the serial/vin number.
There may or may not be the same number stamped on top of the frame rail
in line to just in front of the firewall. (right or left)
Incidentally the CH part of the number indicates assembled in Chicago plant.
Also the A2 part seems to indicate being a 6 cyl.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 03-25-2020 at 02:09 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Bob C

Wonder why the plate is held on with screws??

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Bob
Either someone took it off to fix or paint the car or there is some

'hanky-panky' going on and the number on the frame doesn't match the plate
Old 03-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
woodiewagon46

If you require a DMV or Police inspection and verification of that data plate, those screws will be a problem in most states. I would research how it was affixed from the factory and document it. I know in New York even pop-rivets won't pass.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Bob

I'll do ya one even worse than that, from the GM factory no less. For 1960-1962 Corvettes, The General thought it was a good idea to attach the serial number tag to the top side of the steering column tube right there in the engine compartment, as seen on this '62 Vette. Now think about that....remove or replace that steering assembly and the number goes away with it! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I'll do ya one even worse than that, from the GM factory no less. For 1960-1962 Corvettes, The General thought it was a good idea to attach the serial number tag to the top side of the steering column tube right there in the engine compartment, as seen on this '62 Vette. Now think about that....remove or replace that steering assembly and the number goes away with it! DD

No worse than Model A's using the engine number for the title. Replace the engine with another banger or make an AV8 and the only number to compare to what is on the title is on the frame under the body. Can't tell you how many stock 4 banger Model A's I've seen for sale that are advertised as having a clean title where the engine number doesn't match the title.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Chevrolet vehicles used the engine number clear up into the 50s.

The 59A was the code for a Mainline Ranch Wagon. The A was code for 215 6-cylinder and 2 was code for 1952. Body color was Alpine Blue. Brown Vinyl & tan leather was the interior trim. I'm not sure what the 14 indicates before the trim color H but it may be a variation indicator. Production codes like KE405A usually indicate the month, the day, the unit production number, and the working shift that day.

I'm not absolutely sure on Ford cars but frame numbers were generaly stamped into the frame on the right side after 1950. It should match that tag. The tag was likely held with drive screws (no slot or apex in head) that were driven in with some form of hammer or punch. Special rivets were used in some cases.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-25-2020 at 06:51 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by My50sfords View Post
I'm trying to get a title for a 52 Ranch Wagon that was my Father's. It has sat in a field since 1960. Everyone who would know about this car are no longer alive. I need a valid VIN in order to get a title. There is a plate on the right front door pillar. It has a serial # and vehicle description but no VIN. I haven't found any other plates or numbers on the car. Maybe the Serial # was the same as Vin back then. Does anyone know if there was a VIN was on a 1952 ford car? I appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks!
According to the 1952-53 book (two volume set) put out by the Early Ford V-8 Club of America there is a frame number on your car. The number can be found on the right side of the frame. There is a crossmember that runs from the right side of the frame to the front crossmember. The serial number (or VIN) is stamped on top of that crossmember. Look for that number as most department of motor vehicles will want a frame number for registration purposes. That number should match the patent data plate in the door jamb.
If you plan to restore this car you should purchase the book from the Early Ford V-8 Club. There's a ton of good info in the book for anyone who owns a '52-'53 Ford vehicle.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

My 57 vette has the VIN plate CORRECTLY held on with screws in the LH door jamb. Maybe by 1960 they thought it would be more difficult for a dishonest person to change the steering column!
DD I will look at my steering column as the PO said he put a later one in because it gave the driver more room. I forgot that you told me about the VIN plate on the steering column.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
My50sfords

The car was in a wreck and half the pillar had been replaced. I had no idea this had happened until I removed the fender which also appears to have been replaced. This was done in the early 1950s. In Utah they do rivet the VIN plates on. Thanks for your observation.
My50sfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
My 57 vette has the VIN plate CORRECTLY held on with screws in the LH door jamb. Maybe by 1960 they thought it would be more difficult for a dishonest person to change the steering column!
DD I will look at my steering column as the PO said he put a later one in because it gave the driver more room. I forgot that you told me about the VIN plate on the steering column.

My '59 also had the correct plate screwed-on to the LH door jamb. Only the '60-'62s had it on the column tube. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #14
chap52

My 52 F1 had the id plate riveted to the inside of the glove compartment door. Can't imagine any future problem with that idea....
The first time I registered it in Indiana I called the State Police and they stopped by the house and signed the form I had from MVD. No problem. Years later when I registered the truck in Arizona they never even came outside to look at the truck. They just accepted the current, valid registration.
Ya never know!!! Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
My 52 F1 had the id plate riveted to the inside of the glove compartment door. Can't imagine any future problem with that idea....
The first time I registered it in Indiana I called the State Police and they stopped by the house and signed the form I had from MVD. No problem. Years later when I registered the truck in Arizona they never even came outside to look at the truck. They just accepted the current, valid registration.
Ya never know!!! Chap
The '52 F-1 also has a frame number to match the plate in the glove box. It's on top of the right frame rail near the front crossmember. The problem with the ID number on the glove box door is the thief steals your truck and just changes the glove box door.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote