Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2021, 02:37 PM   #41
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Adding castor to the axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Brent, see the Service Bulletins, page 392, "New Truck Front Radius Rods."
Well, this is yet another mystery (-and likely yet another misprint) in the Service Bulletin info.

My Ford engineering print is dated 10/07/31 and does not signify the use of the AA marking on the Foot, -and the length measurement on my print (38¾") is a different dimensional number than the number (34⅜") listed in the Service Bulletins. (That's a pretty significant discrepancy! )

Adding to the confusion, on my copy of the print it specifies an AA-3412-B Foot to be used, ....however if you look at the 'AA-3412' predecessors that were designed, you will see that the AA-3412-A design was introduced in 10/01/29 however almost immediately obsoleted on 11/2/29. The prior part number for the Foot was an AA-3412 which on November 02 of 1929 was changed to AA-3412-AR.

Since this "change" was printed in the November 1929 copy of the S/B, my initial guess is someone 'jumped the gun' on printing that on Page 392 assuming the AA-3412-A was going to be used, -when in actuality, that AA Radius Rod listed in the S/B never truly went into production and that design was scrubbed. The reason it would have been issued an 'A' suffix is because Engineering did make a few prototypes for testing purposes and so they had to be able to track it. This however, does not mean this prototype ever went into production.

Again, I will research this by reading thru the EIs whenever the Benson Library re-opens however, like I have stated here before, the S/B is not without errors. Just because it is printed in the S/B does not mean we should assume it is 'gospel' until it has been researched thoroughly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:00 PM   #42
jayvee34

Default Re: Adding castor to the axle

Being an old Hot Rodder I heated and bent the wishbone as close to the axle as possible
to get the 5 degree positive castor that I needed in my A.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)