Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 12:47 AM   #1
Terranova

Default Engine era ID.

I thought I’d asked before but maybe not. I’ve read and read and still don’t have a full grasp of what I have. I was told it’s a ‘53. It has EAB heads.
What else can you tell me from external cues.
Thanks barners!

Terranova

Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:55 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Engine era ID.

Good explanation here > http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...0to125late.htm

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:49 AM   #3
tubman

"EAB" says '52-'53 Ford, but it looks like it has been painted red (they originals are tangerine) and the fact that it has a truck half bell and water pumps tell me it has been changed a bit somewhere along the line.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Based on the water pumps and the cast iron bell housing it appears that it spent time in a pick up truck.

You may or may not have a build date code located on the rear passenger side of the intake manifold mount surface of the block.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 01-07-2020 at 05:41 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
Terranova

I know it’s a conglomeration of parts which is why I’m asking for barners “Eagle eyes” to help with some info. I’m hoping this engine is one of those “it needs these pumps, this kind of oil pan, the right kind of fan belt set up” combos that will slide right into a ‘36 sedan.

Last edited by Terranova; 01-07-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
big job

Tough call they all look the same. EAB heads seemed to be the choice. Paint colors,
forget that. These engine rebuilds came from Sears, local and factory rebuilds in those
days for unreal cheap even from the dealer. Back when I slid one in my 36 in a day I
fiddled with the fan, think I ran fan from the generator I do not remember. No chatter
rods either. Ran this car 10yrs no problems sold it to a high school crook for $900 for
his son, ya he ran that car right to a buyer for $1200. 30yrs later at the N.E. swap meet
there it was so I'm looking and this witch says THERE ain't no bondo in this car! I say
were is the driver window garnish moulding; she says, ain't got one. I do, its from this car. Did I learn a lesson..
still hanging in the shop. want it 1000 bucks for you sarcastic woman.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Most trucks had the 8RT heads in 1952. The cars had the EAB heads. Mercury had EAC heads.

All 8BA/1BA blocks are pretty much the same with only a few exceptions. Trucks kept the hardened seats in the exhaust valve pockets but later cars didn't. After 1951, the rotator type valves were used so the valve seats would last better. The cam may have a casting number on it. There are a lot of little clues that will tell a story if you know what to look for. The 1BA block is identified by a casting number in the valve chamber. The crankshafts were bored larger at the flange end for use with automatic transmissions.

The truck and Mercury pans are rear sump. They should clear the radius rods but your 36 has unique front engine mounts so adapters may be needed to use the 8RT coolant pumps/mounts. The single belt accessories might fit better in a 36 too. The fan could be an issue since the 36 had the generator mounted set up. I know its been done but it seems like the 50/51 Mercury fan set up might be better but I don't know for sure. They use narrow dual belts but they don't stick as far forward as the 8RT fan set up.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-07-2020 at 11:15 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Ol' Ron

It's like a surprise package, you won't know, till you open it up!!!
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
tubman

Bottom line? That engine has been around the block enough that the only way you're going to find out more is by taking it apart. Then the only things that really matter is if it has a 4" (Mercury) crankshaft and no cracks. Those pumps and that bellhousing are what you need to "slide right into" a '36 sedan with an original type transmission. You will need some motor mount spacers and will have to do some fiddling around with the anti-chatter rods and linkages as well as the exhaust. The fan is a different matter. Just recently there was a long thread on just this subject on this board that should tell you what you need to know.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #10
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Bottom line? That engine has been around the block enough that the only way you're going to find out more is by taking it apart. Then the only things that really matter is if it has a 4" (Mercury) crankshaft and no cracks. Those pumps and that bellhousing are what you need to "slide right into" a '36 sedan with an original type transmission. You will need some motor mount spacers and will have to do some fiddling around with the anti-chatter rods and linkages as well as the exhaust. The fan is a different matter. Just recently there was a long thread on just this subject on this board that should tell you what you need to know.

The motor mount spacers mentioned in the above are '49-50 Merc, they go between the pump foot and frame mount. The holes in the truck pumps won't match up with the frame holes, the Merc spacers corrects this issue, the lower bolt extends up through the rubber mount, then a second bolt goes from the. (The long original Ford bolt won't work.) Merc mount up into the water pump foot. The fan mount can be troublesome, you might want to consider using an electric fan, the fan that comes built into a shroud tends to work best.
I would suggest using your '36 exhaust manifolds, they should fit the engine. When I put the 59AB engine in my '36 I used the original log style '36 manifolds.