Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #21
rhphotord

Default Re: Please educate me on scammers when selling a car

Another C/L scam angle plays on your high regard for military members. Selling a Harley couple years ago received email saying he was over deployed seas but want to buy the bike sight unseen. Send me a check and have a friend pick it up. Simple solution....told him if he trusted his friend to that degree send him the check and bring me the cash!
Never heard back from him.
Another word to the wise, there are many bogus $100 bills floating around today. Use due diligence and check the bills to be legit. Do some online research this information is readily avaiable.
rhphotord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #22
Aarongriffey

A friend/customer had a 67 330 GT Ferrari. Was never, I mean NEVER gonna sell it.
He is in Oakland,ca. A guy saw his membership in a Ferrari Cub roster, called him from Texas, said he wanted to look at it.
Friend said, “it ain’t for sale”. TezN said, “I just want to see it”.
Well he flew up to Oakland rented a car and showed up at my friend’s storage garage where he keeps his early Ford V8s and the Ferrari.
So the Texan shot him a price offer way over what it was worth.
When the owner gulped and got up off the floor the Texan thought he had offended him so he offered $10,000 more.
They agreed to meet at the ownwer’s bank the next morning at 9AM.
The buyer called the owner the next morning at 9:20 to say he is at the bank.
The owner went to the bank and when the bank told him his account had the texan’s money they shook hands, the Texan got the keys and the previous owner called cab.
Now that is a good way to sell a car.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 AM   #23
Karl

My son worked at our equivalent of Ebay
He is a lawyer and during his training he worked in the "Scam Department "
He has some good ones, A very popular one was some one would list a complete set of unopened kitchen pots from a mail order company -listed as unwanted gift or the like . The buyer would pay and sure enough the pots would arrive in original packaging, Unfortunately a month later the invoice from the mail order company arrived . The seller who had just ordered the pots in the buyers name to be delivered to that address and be invoiced later -was long gone.

A few months ago i noticed the medical centre I work at was paying installments on a TV out of our account . We had no TV but the man, who rang up and asked our receptionist for our account number so he could pay us on line, did have . It was just at his house and we were paying for it! His Doctor decided to keep seeing him at the centre despite the fact that I reported him to the Police.

Karl
Old 03-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #24
Fritz

Bruce, I’ve investigated tons of these cases. Their angle is to get you to cash the check, send them back some money and then you will find out, maybe even up to a couple weeks later that the check was fraudulent with stolen account numbers, etc. Then you are at loss for the entire check amount plus what you sent back of it as the bank will take the check amount back to credit the victim account of the fraud. These type of scams usually aren’t even interested in the car, but sometimes people send the car and realize they lost that too.

I’ve seen the vin report scam too, I think that’s someone trying to plug the report service, which is needless, but they just made a customer.

Make some rules for yourself, like NO CHECKS, unless you really trust the person and know positively who they are, like you have seen them in person and know where they live. Some wire transfers will clear immediately and can be done legitimately for sight unseen buyers, but be very very careful that you are dealing with a real person on those.

I’ve found most legit buyers will want to meet in person to look at the car. That’s usually a dead give away if someone wants to buy it without seeing it or driving it.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #25
Aarongriffey

Ya, but it is a separate city by itself. Has its own mayor, police, etc.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:53 AM   #26
dwollam

I listed a large tube type TV on C/L in the free section. Hate to throw it away. I got a detailed text message wanting pics of the back, what connections, etc. WAY too many questions! He wanted to ship it to St. Louis Mo. and I am in Madras Oregon! Yeah right! He was phishing for way more than a free TV.

Dave
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote