Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
1967 Camaro

Default Disc Brake Conversion

Second attempt to drive the Thunderbird to our new home. Everything great until about thirty miles from our destination the right front brake locked up. It got so hot the paint was burnt off the wheel and the valve stem blew out. This occurred after I'd pulled over to the shoulder. I had recently checked the brakes and wheel bearings anticipating the trip...no issues. I did have to mess with brake adjustment quite a bit to get them to act equally. I am thinking an internally collapsed hose. Anyway, a total rebuild is in order and I want to convert to front discs as I did on my Camaro. Anyone have experience with a good supplier and kit? I've seen several. I also want to stray from original and go to a dual master cylinder. Hate to destroy the original look but I'd rather be safe. Thanks!!
1967 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Disc Brake Conversion

There are plenty of kits for '55 thru '57 Thunderbirds, but don't know what year Bird you have.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 Camaro View Post
... I want to convert to front discs as I did on my Camaro. Anyone have experience with a good supplier and kit? I've seen several. I also want to stray from original and go to a dual master cylinder. Hate to destroy the original look but I'd rather be safe. Thanks!!
The usual disc brake conversion kits for Baby Birds are effectively the same for each of the 3 years.

I picked these three because they are sold by T-Bird restoration shops that install them in-house on customers cars and can actually answer your questions (not just selling them and letting you figure it out).
Also, they are complete kits that take front to rear brake balance in mind. They include a dual master cylinder, hoses and fittings.

http://prestigethunderbird.com/catalog/ ...Download the catalog and scroll to page 5.

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...Z5Z5Z50001033a

https://www.classictbird.com/Front-D...ductinfo/DISC/
There is a link to Installation Instructions on this page.

These kits are advertised as fitting stock 14 & 15 inch wheels ('57 & '55/'56) as well as the usual wire wheels.
If I'm reading correctly the kit from Prestige uses calipers with 4 pistons, the others use two pistons. I don't know the diameter of the rotors but other things being equal, larger is better.

I highly recommend calling each one to speak with their Tech Help folks to have your specific questions answered.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-11-2020 at 11:51 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
miker98038

I've got front disc on my 55 I put on in 1999. Pretty typical bird kit, as listed on Hill's site above. I did power, and it used an OEM style booster on the front disc only. The firm I bought it from retired, and I believe Hill's bought them out. They worked fine then and still do. The spacer moves the wheels out an 1/8" or so, no problem. The front pads where adequate, but not performance parts.

On my set up you needed to keep the rear brakes adjusted, or you get a low pedal. Doing it again, I'd convert the rear brakes to self adjusting. Either here or the HAMB there's a list of factory parts to do that. Once you've got the rear brakes apart to change the cylinders, might as well do that.

There was a post (I think on another site) about someone local and very knowledgeable who had been in the Prestige Thunderbird facility and was very impressed with the engineering they'd done for their kit. Might be worth a call.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
bobss396

I can go with a bad hose, your brakes are stock drum? Replace both hoses, but cut open the old bad hose, you should find the bad spot where it constricts.

I'm in the market for a '62 Bird myself, I know of one locally. It has a new single master and booster, I'll check the front brakes, if everything looks good, I'll leave them as drum brakes. On the '61 to '66 Birds, you really have to do a spot-on disc conversion to beat the factory drum brakes.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Gene F

These are power units? I have a 57 Skliner, ya think it would work on it too? I must admit though, for manaul, and stock, I have very good brakes.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 Camaro View Post
Second attempt to drive the Thunderbird to our new home. Everything great until about thirty miles from our destination the right front brake locked up. It got so hot the paint was burnt off the wheel and the valve stem blew out. This occurred after I'd pulled over to the shoulder. I had recently checked the brakes and wheel bearings anticipating the trip...no issues. I did have to mess with brake adjustment quite a bit to get them to act equally. I am thinking an internally collapsed hose. Anyway, a total rebuild is in order and I want to convert to front discs as I did on my Camaro. Anyone have experience with a good supplier and kit? I've seen several. I also want to stray from original and go to a dual master cylinder. Hate to destroy the original look but I'd rather be safe. Thanks!!

If you go to a dual master setup make sure you have the proper pedal travel or it won't work like you expect! If the pedal bottoms out on the floor before the "reserve" system kicks in you might as well have kept the single master. If you lose fluid in one side of the master, the pedal has to go almost all the way to the floor before you get any braking.
You should test any conversion by opening a bleeder screw on the front and see if the back brakes will stop you. Then do the same with a rear bleeder screw.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
These are power units? I have a 57 Skliner, ya think it would work on it too? I must admit though, for manaul, and stock, I have very good brakes.
Gene F, On a '55/'57 T-Bird the oem master cylinder is a stand-alone unit, as is the power booster which mounts to the left inner-fender. If you chose to install this style booster it should work fine.
I don't know what the full-sized '57 PB equipped cars originally used, it may have been the same two units???
Dual bowl master cylinders are a popular swap for the oem single bowl versions. (photo three)

There are also newer style combination units available. (if this link works for you) Although I think they look much too large and un-original.
https://www.google.com/search?source...pQQsAR6BAgIEAE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg master cylinder.jpg (79.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg brake booster, before c.jpg (84.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg dual bowl master cylinder.jpg (45.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-23-2020 at 10:54 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #9
Ford blue blood

Full size Fords use a vacuum assist on the brake peddle under the dash. There was a vacuum canister mounted on the inner fender drivers side and a bellows mounted to the brake peddle arm under the dash. The power peddle arms were completely different from the manual arms. I think that system was used through 59?

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote