Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
28Danby

Default Missing Valve seat

A little history first. I have a 28 Tudor that I bought from my parents. The car was originally bought by my great grandfather new in 28’, so it’s really cool that it has never left my family. I’ve had it for about 14 years and so far replaced the full braking system, steering and re-wired it front to back. Few other odds and ends as well as required. Fun Sunday driver and ice cream getter but not a ton of miles over the last few years. I had it out in the fall and she started backfiring badly and just running poorly. Changed the point and condenser on the side of the road, no change so limped her home on edge of the road. After some talking with the financial dept (wife), we decided to pull the motor and rebuild the transmission and replace the clutch as they both needed it, and give the engine a good inspection while it was out and on the stand. The engine has been rebuilt before (~40yrs ago), so I expected some wear and tear and figured I had some sticky valves etc causing the backfire. Pulled the mains and found some cracked babbit, but not terrible. Very little wear and 0.002-0.003” clearance. Cylinders measured out at 0.065” over, in very good condition, no scoring or upper ridge. What shocked me were the valves. One hardened seat is loose and one is missing altogether. No evidence in the cylinder of broken pieces, nothing stuck in the exhaust port. It’s just gone! Has anyone seen this before?
Either way, we are getting a full rebuild. Give the old girl a new heart. I’ve just never seen that before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACEA5816-CB39-4F64-A552-8BB6497C30CE.jpg (42.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 9FB042D6-C9E0-4469-B1FB-1F17C15CB2CF.jpg (43.8 KB, 220 views)
28Danby is offline   Reply With Quote