Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
jack orchard

Default 48-52 Pickup water pumps

My fan and alternator have narrow pulleys. I would like to run narrow pulleys on my water pumps. All i have seen is wide pulley pumps for pickups. Who sells or builds them? Am i the only one?
Thaks to all of you for your time. jack orchard
jack orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
gearhead1952

Default Re: 48-52 Pickup water pumps

You will have to build them on your own probably. The cars came with narrow belts and have their own mounting style that is different than trucks. Also the fan assembly is different for the car. Only the trucks had wide belts and the clutch fan setup. So you will have to gather some car pumps and truck pumps then put the narrow pulleys on the truck pumps. The fan belt configuration is different also. On the truck one belt runs both pumps but on the car it is two belts and so the pulleys are offset from each other. You can get a wider pulley for your alternator and if you don't like the truck clutch fan the Mercs used a wide belt fan assembly.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
rotorwrench

The wide sheave set up can be changed over to a narrow sheave set up. This requires changing all the pulleys. If the fan you have is the narrow pulley sheave type like the later Ford & Mercury cars used, you will only need to get the right & left waterpump pulleys and the crankshaft dual sheave from a later Ford or Mercury car. Pulley sheaves press off and on so you will need tooling to do this without breaking them. You will also have to insure that the alternator will align with the belt that drives it. If the alternator has a different diameter or mounting distance, you will need the correct belt length to fit. On the old Mercury cars that I'm more familiar with, the front belt sheave from the crank drives the fan and the right hand water pump. The rear sheave drives the left hand pump and the generator (in this case alternator). The late 49 through 53 Ford & Mercury cars all used the same belts with normal generator installations. The alternator installation might be the only thing that would change that and that would be just the one belt.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

I've had no problems running narrower belts on wide pulleys properly tensioned & aligned.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
G.M.

Call Skip the coil and water pump guy. He has switched a lot of them both ways.
Shop 1-941-637-1813 home 1-941-505-9085 G.M.