Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #41
haag1332

Default Re: carburetor 13/32 deep well socket

If you break it, I can guarantee it wasn't on a gav housing.
haag1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #42
Rustytford

I to would be interested in one or two. Always like using the proper tools for the job.
Rustytford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #43
haag1332

This is the second socket. It is not stamped or heat treat and tempered yet. Once it is heat treated it will be a black finish like a typical impact socket. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #44
HoarseWhisperer

I have a couple of the 13/32" open ended, but would be interested in obtaining the socket if possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2568.jpg (53.0 KB, 55 views)

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #45
haag1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
I have a couple of the 13/32" open ended, but would be interested in obtaining the socket if possible.
I just noticed you are from canada. No problem getting you a socket when they are done, would just have to adjust the shipping cost since you are outside the US
Old 02-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #46
Brentwood Bob

pm sent.
bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #47
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haag1332 View Post
I just noticed you are from canada. No problem getting you a socket when they are done, would just have to adjust the shipping cost since you are outside the US
Understood, and thanks!

Things were much simpler when I lived in the US.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #48
haag1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
pm sent.
bob
If you sent me a private message, I did not get. Have gotten others, but do not see any from you.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #49
Jim M

Count me in. I will buy just to keep the Model A spirit alive!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #50
Dan/Kzo

Put me down for one
Dan/Kzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #51
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Update on were we stand with the sockets.

If the reviews are as I expect, I am planning to make a run of 50 parts and will order the blanks next week.
Should anyone have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to post them here and I will answer them as soon as possible.

P.S. I obviously cannot keep the price reasonable using my shop labor to produce these parts, so I will be manufacturing them myself after hours when the equipment is available. Hence the reason I said this will be a labor of love, not one of making money.
I think you already have about 50 "sold" right here. If the blank price goes down with a 100, you might want to consider it.

Also, there is no shame in making a few bucks for yourself on the deal.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 02-09-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:30 AM   #52
Brentwood Bob

Want 2. Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 AM   #53
haag1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I think you already have about 50 "sold" right here. If the blank price goes down with a 100, you might want to consider it.
Due to the enthusiasm since this thread started, I have requested a price for 100 blanks. Unfortunately they were giving me a pretty good deal in the first place for 50, and the price for 100 was only .30 cents per piece cheaper. Big problem is, the manufacturer I am obtaining the blanks from does not like to give them up since they count on them for their runs, and selling me some in quantity screws up their production runs. The runs they make for normal sockets in this size range is in the thousands which is why none of the reputable manufacturers want to make this socket. They figure they can't sell a thousand plus, so they are not interested. When they make a run, there is a plus or minus 10 percent commitment, and selling me the blanks just brings them closer to their minus 10 percent which I can understand. Everything they do is in bulk like annealing, heat treating tempering, so on and so forth, and poundage for each of the processes really counts for their manufacturing cost as far as furnace and machine utilization.

If we look at the good side, at least I have the contact and can get blanks which makes this process even possible for all of the folks who would like one at a reasonable cost. There is only one size blank I know of that I can use to make this a perfect socket for this application.

I know this blank will be used probably for a long long time, so I am not worried about getting them for an extended period of time, but remember, this blank is being taken out of the middle of their production run. This all starts as a solid piece of steel in an automated process, and I am getting them to spit out perfectly good parts in the middle of the process prior to the end broaching and such. This requires an operator to basically instruct the cnc machine to only do part of the operation and spit out unfinished parts during the process for some period of time. This in turn causes an issue with predetermined tool wear and everything else in the process.

At this point due to the interest I think I am going to tool a bit differently, which will be more expensive right now, and obviously no immediate payback, but I, like you am thinking 100 is probably a real number over time as people find out about this socket. And the tooling I am considering will make it easier to do small batches down the road while keeping the cost to the end user at a consistent reasonable number.

I think alot of people would put a high price on these and sell to whoever, just to make some money. I however would like to make these so that everyone can afford to buy one from now to eternity, not just those with deep pockets.

As I stated previously in this thread, I only made this thing to help my father and give him something no one else had. I honestly did not believe it when he said people would be interested in this tool, since I figured there had to be something somewhere that people could get their hands on. Apparently I was wrong, and my goal now is basically to make this available to the masses who will appreciate them.

I honestly am not looking at this as a money making opportunity. As I told my father tonight, due to the interest, I am quite content doing this pretty much just for the bragging rights so to speak. Of course I would like to cover my cost at least, but the fact that I can provide people with something that no one else can or is willing to do, kinda makes me feel good.

Hopefully everyone understands this.

Just to add a bit about my background, I own a business that deals with large multinational corporations. Probably anything you have in your house that is on a roll (toilet paper, saran wrap, foil, and actually even your q-tip brand q-tips) has probably at some point been processed on the equipment I have designed manufactured and supplied. I also supply equipment and services to every tire manufacturer in the world with the exception of Bridgestone/Firestone.

So as far as the sockets, believe me, I can make money spending my time elsewhere, but I enjoyed this challenge presented by my father, and hopefully have found a way to provide everyone with this (apparently much sought after) unicorn so to speak.

Once the car club provides their review Tuesday or Wednesday on this socket (hopefully positive, lol), we will provide our pricing idea to everyone, and I am hoping everyone will be pleasantly surprised. Obviously not gonna be dirt cheap, but definitely in line with a top quality impact type socket in a comparable size range.

Not real sure why I wrote all this other than to assure you I am looking at every aspect of this venture to try and keep the cost of this tool as reasonable as possible.

I do appreciate the suggestion, and if you or anyone else has any other ideas, I really would love to hear them since I would love to make these as cheap as possible.

One other thing to mention here just so everyone knows. Every single thing with regard to these sockets is 100% USA. Blanks, tooling, and even equipment used to manufacture is all USA. It has already been mentioned subcontracting the production of these sockets to a company in China which would be really really cheap. I however will not even consider this option regardless of the savings. Just not gonna happen, and if someone suggests it again, they will not be purchasing one of these sockets from me.

Sorry for writing this rather lengthy dissertation, lol, but again I thank everyone for the interest in this project and look forward to moving forward in a positive manner.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #54
Midwest Tin

Thank you for your efforts in making this tool.
I would also like one. Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #55
MikeK

Quote:
. . .One other thing to mention here just so everyone knows. Every single thing with regard to these sockets is 100% USA. Blanks, tooling, and even equipment used to manufacture is all USA. It has already been mentioned subcontracting the production of these sockets to a company in China which would be really really cheap. I however will not even consider this option regardless of the savings. Just not gonna happen, and if someone suggests it again, they will not be purchasing one of these sockets from me.
Music to my ears!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #56
JTW

Put me down for 1. Thank you
Old 02-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #57
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Most Ford Barners are so sick of the cheapo does-not-fit chinese crappo that they have all gone back to the 'Made in USA' slogan. Myself included long ago.

A breath of fresh air here.

and I don't think it really matters at least not to me what it costs to have something this special
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #58
haag1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
You think so? It seems to me that most Ford Barners are in love with the cheapo does-not-fit chinese crappo that they can get from Harbor Freight. Seems that most prefer cheap crap over quality goods.

When the socket price is announced, we'll see how many buyers for the socket will be lost. Not because it will be too expensive, but because too many people here are too cheap.

Now this is a joke fellas, so don't get bent out of shape.

Forever4 just came up with a great marketing idea. Anybody that backs out after the price is announced, we will just post their info on here to let everyone know they are cheap, lol.

Now I would never ever do that so it is just a joke, however, it does bring up a good idea.

We have a count of how many sockets guys would like now, and I believe it is either right at, or over 50. I am figuring at this point I will probably just run 100. But with forever4's comment, we probably will contact all those who expressed interest once we release the price to be sure the interest is still there.

I think I probably have more faith in all these folks than you do forever4, but I am obviously a newbie to this whole thing. That being said I appreciate your comment and will verify the interest level once again after the price is announced. Of course something tells me alot of people are following this thread and once we put the price up most people will reaffirm their commitment. Who knows, there may even be a bunch of lurkers just waiting.

Guess we will see in the next couple of days. Hope everyone here is doing well.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #59
Al 29Tudor

I'd like one also.
Al Leach
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #60
AL in NY

Put me down for one, thanks...............