Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
wingski

Default value of car

How do you figure out what your A is worth? I realize that the money involved in purchasing an A is an abstract thing that is going to have all kinds of answers. Some realistic, some not. However, I’ve been unable to find any figure for a 1929 Ford cabriolet in good condition.

I have to know what reasonable amount this car would bring before I start to seriously look for a tudor with modern running gear. The amount is not going to go into my pocket, but into a car to replace my ’29.

The fact that I’m willing to deliver the car has to count for something. Even though I live in the middle of nowhere, I think the trip of delivering my A and picking up a new one is exciting. My wife has a somewhat different attitude. My dog and cat think the idea is great.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: value of car

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
wingski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
Pictures are worth a thousand words.
OK, what do you want? I've even got photos of the pan when I removed it. The car didn't have a history when I bought it, so I've photographed and documented everything since then. Now, it has a recent history.

Mike
Old 12-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
160B

This is not a clear answer but here are some web sites with information, not sure how many years ago this first site was published, but it is a starting point.

How much is my Model "A" Ford worth?
(Some facts and some opinions.)
by Grant MacLaren

http://www.grantmaclaren.com/oldfordstuff/howmuch/

Here is the NADA Valuation for a 1930 Cabriolet, did not have an option for a 29 Cabriolet

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...briolet/Values

Also watch the MAFCA web site and the MARC web site for comparable vehicles. The above is only a starting point, other thing need to be taken into consideration, ie condition of major components, condition of body, any missing components.

http://model-a-ford.org/category/cla...cars-for-sale/

http://mafca.com/cl/cl-v-sale.html..hope this helps,

GOOD LUCK

LIKE POST #2 PHOTOS WOULD HELP DETERMINE CONDITION AND IF THERE ARE ANY MISSING COMPONENTS!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
CarlLaFong

Picture of the car as it sits right now. Both sides, front and rear, several interior shots, engine and, if possible, undercarriage. As Henry Ford said, "History is bunk."
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLaFong View Post
Picture of the car as it sits right now. Both sides, front and rear, several interior shots, engine and, if possible, undercarriage. As Henry Ford said, "History is bunk."
I never could understand why a man who said "History is bunk" would build the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. I don't know the context of this famous quote...perhaps it applied to a specific event only, I don't know.

Sorry, did I say that out loud? Back to the thread subject matter...
Old 12-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
slammin

It is going to take a lot of research to determine a realistic price. I would check the normal sites (Hemmings, etc) to see what the asking price is for similar cars. Check eBay to find out what they are selling for. Classiccars.com usually has 250 to 300 Model As listed. I started shopping for my first A in May 2017. I still look at the sale sites and see many of the same cars for sale that were listed this spring. If you need to wring every last cent out of it, be prepared to wait. Good luck.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
redmodelt

Go to Ebay and do an advance search, look at the upper part of right side of the screen. Type in what you are looking for on the page that opens and click SOLD not what has been listed. I am sure there have been a few sold in the last year. This should give a good idea WHAT people are paying. Don't pay a lot of attention to the BIG auctions, those prices are inflated and not a real indication of true market value. O course you could list it on Ebay, the rates for selling cars are different then other stuff. Start low and set a reserve of maybe a little more then you think it's worth. I suggested that to a guy selling an older restored 29 tudor with lots of miles. He started low and set his reserve WHAT he wanted to get out of the car, it went way over what he expected.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
mike657894

condition condition condition. the nicest show cars seem to be worth 20k. the driver fordors. 5-8k
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
wingski

OK, at least a couple of you guys have requested photos of the car as it is right now. My wife and I went out and took a bunch. So, if you don’t see what you want to see, ask for it.

Here are some of them,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060626 (800x600).jpg (387.4 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg P1060632 (600x800).jpg (49.3 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg P1060640 (800x600).jpg (406.8 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg P1060658 (800x600).jpg (369.9 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg P1060653 (800x600).jpg (400.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg P1060659 (800x600).jpg (446.6 KB, 319 views)
Old 12-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #11
redmodelt

Nice looking car. I would suggest getting the welting back on the cowl and reinstall the hood sides. Without them the car looks unfinished.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
Railcarmover
BANNED

The bottom is falling out of restored model As faster than you can find it.Thats a nice car,should pull 16k..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

Mike as others have said, go on E-Bay, fix a reserve what you want for the car, be reasonable if you are serious don't get stupid, start the price low, do not put a listed reserve or any of that keep the reserve private do not let it out. People will e-mail you 'fishing' ignore that. They are flippers and trying to play the 'I'm smarter than you game' by screwing you out of your car.

You can lower the price but you can never raise it, got it?

Nice looking little Model A it will sell. Maybe not the first attempt but give it time. List it again later. This time of year is not the best time to sell a car. I'd wait for spring weather. If the car doesn't sell on E-Bay you aren't out much cash, and they have a huge audience of people looking for cars. I've heard good and bad about CraigsList, mostly bad.

And, one more bit of advice. Always listen to your dog he knows best. The cat not so much they aren't dependable. And I've got both a dog and a cat. And the cat always bites me.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
The bottom is falling out of restored model As faster than you can find it.Thats a nice car,should pull 16k..
Not quite sure about the 'bottom falling out' a well done Model A or any other antique car is still holding it's own.

This is not a place to 'invest' money it is a hobby. Buy what YOU like, have fun with it, if it goes up in value that is OK if it drops in value who cares? You have to satisfy yourself. I have learned that lesson over the last couple years fighting a deadly disease. Nobody is promised tomorrow. I mean nobody.

And, if you want to lose $$ on an automobile, IF that is your goal, the best and fastest way is to go out and buy a brand new Cadillac. The biggest money loser out there. That $65K Caddy you bought this morning MIGHT bring $20K in about four years. If you are lucky. I've seen this at auction time and time again. So, that Model A you spent $20,000 on four years ago, the one you had a ton of fun with, sells for $17,000 next week, who cares??----------see where this is going? Buy the antique car, drive a used Ford Fusion ( very nice car for not a lot of cash) bank the money you saved vs. that new Cadillac, and voila you be a happy camper.

And, if you want a good return on a new vehicle, the Ford F-Series trucks and the Ford Mustang especially the GT and GT convertible, have the highest resale values of any car in America. They don't depreciate like most other vehicles. Even the Japanese love them but their Gov-mint restricts them from coming into the country by way of a $33,000 import tax. Free Trade. That is another story unto itself.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLaFong View Post

What he actually said about history was:

"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today." (Chicago Tribune, 1916).

In other words, don't concern yourself with the past - live in the present.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #16
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
How do you figure out what your A is worth?...
Something is worth what a fool wants to give for it.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Not quite sure about the 'bottom falling out' a well done Model A or any other antique car is still holding it's own.

This is not a place to 'invest' money it is a hobby. Buy what YOU like, have fun with it, if it goes up in value that is OK if it drops in value who cares? You have to satisfy yourself. I have learned that lesson over the last couple years fighting a deadly disease. Nobody is promised tomorrow. I mean nobody.

And, if you want to lose $$ on an automobile, IF that is your goal, the best and fastest way is to go out and buy a brand new Cadillac. The biggest money loser out there. That $65K Caddy you bought this morning MIGHT bring $20K in about four years. If you are lucky. I've seen this at auction time and time again. So, that Model A you spent $20,000 on four years ago, the one you had a ton of fun with, sells for $17,000 next week, who cares??----------see where this is going? Buy the antique car, drive a used Ford Fusion ( very nice car for not a lot of cash) bank the money you saved vs. that new Cadillac, and voila you be a happy camper.

And, if you want a good return on a new vehicle, the Ford F-Series trucks and the Ford Mustang especially the GT and GT convertible, have the highest resale values of any car in America. They don't depreciate like most other vehicles. Even the Japanese love them but their Gov-mint restricts them from coming into the country by way of a $33,000 import tax. Free Trade. That is another story unto itself.
yea, Model A isnt too bad - buy and sell prices are about even really. Any new car is gonna plummet price wise. Forget about any muscle car with a 4 banger or v6 holding any value. Any full size truck that is v8 and 4x4 only a few years old will hold its value well best value holding is diesel or crew cabs. 2wd reg cab v6 - haha no...

Yea caddys, BMW, Mercs, (insert luxury car here) in 3 years is worth about 10-20K. The elite cant be seen in a 3 year old car! Give it 10 years and its a $5k or less car (that and every problem known to man will come out of the wood work)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #18
700rpm

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #19
rocket1

It is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #20
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I agree and disagree with this comment.

I agree that there are a lot of Model A’s that have been used up. Many owners, poor maintenance, made up from many different cars, barn finds that should have been left in the barn, etc.

Than there are the two or three owner, never left outside, well maintained, properly cared for, stock original cars.

Even the best antique will ware out with hard use over time. Whether a house, furniture, painting, or antique car.

As with any other antique, as there becomes less and less really good ones available, the prices will at least level off. I think they will increase.

So I say, “use up your cars”, trick them out, modify them, paint them funny colors. Keep adding all those goodies that Ford never offered.

The well cared for cars that are left, will just be worth that much more.

Think that low mileage Volvo or Ford F-150. In pristine condition on the used car lot. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote