Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Tubeless bias on stock rim

I have been reading about running tubeless tires and haven't found exactly what I need. Most posts are about running radials that way. I have new load range C bias 6.50 x 16 hiway tread from National tire on the front. Last night out for dinner with the wife came out to the woodie (not exactly finished) and found the second front tire flat in 200 miles of driving. The tires are marked 'tubeless, but I ran tubes. The tires have heavy ribbing on the inside and this seems to chafe the tubes. I have read many posts about running tubless but not usually bias ply. Should I just lose the tubes? Rivets not a problem? and do I need a special valve stem, or just garden variety? I'm getting tired of my tire irons....Thanks in advance.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Tubeless bias on stock rim

IMO pull out the tubes ,seal around the rivets with good silicone and use the correct valve stem.Done this several times(with radials) with no problems.I don't imagine that bias tubless would give you problems.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
blucar

I found out many years ago that you can't run tubes in tubeless tires, the tubes will fail every time, usually where the tube intersects with rim.. If you do use tubes in a tubeless tire the tubes must be for tubeless tires.
As a precaution it might be a good idea to seal around the rivets on older wheels if tubeless tires are used. There are stems available that will seal to the rim with rubber gaskets and a locking nut.
It is also not a good idea to use radial tires, mixed with bias ply on a steering axle. Radial tires on the drive axle with bias ply on the steering axle is OK.

Last edited by blucar; 08-29-2017 at 10:50 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
dwaynec

Just curious. Why shouldn't you use radials on the steering axle?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
It is also not a good idea to use radial tires on a steering axle. Radial tires on the drive axle with bias ply on the steering axle is OK.
That's funny, 'cuz my '40, my '65 Vette, my Chevy pick-up and Momma's Tahoe all have RADIAL tires on a steering axle...........NO problems so far! Where do you come-up with this ridiculous stuff? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That's funny, 'cuz my '40, my '65 Vette, my Chevy pick-up and Momma's Tahoe all have RADIAL tires on a steering axle...........NO problems so far! Where do you come-up with this ridiculous stuff? DD
I think blucar meant that one should not run radials on the front if you have bias on the rear. I have always heard that the two types should not be mixed either way. Have I ever done it? Yes but just on this 35 mph island and only in a pinch. I'll bust out some silicone at lunch time for re-installing tire after work. Thanks all. GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Mart

If you have a mix of bias and radials, the only acceptable combination is bias on the front and radials on the back.

That's where they get that stuff from, it just gets misinterpreted sometimes.

GB, I have switched my 58 GMC to tubeless. They are radials though.

Mart
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynec View Post
Just curious. Why shouldn't you use radials on the steering axle?
Me too. I have two complete sets of radials on '35 wire wheels, and I've driven all over the USA with them on my 35 fordor sedan...AND...I'm using tubes rated for use with radial tires, just because that's what I prefer. I didn't buy these tubes from the tire dealers because the AG Supply dealer near me sells them at less than half what the tire deals are selling them for.

Also, I've heard tell of folks having some serious accidents by mixing bias and radial tires on the same vehicle

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Looks like a few of us were writing around 11:37. Both of my employees are playing hookey today so I smeared some silicone on the rivets, found an old brass tubeless tire stem with a nut on it to expand the rubber plug. Excellent device and the reason I have a specific drawer for saving everything. Tire has been holding 32 lbs for an hour and a half. Now I gotta pull that other thin Korean tube from the drivers side front and find another expando valve stem. Hoping napa has them. Thanks all for the quick help. GB
Old 08-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
Mart

There is a standard rubber type valve stem that fits, I just call it a "fat" valve stem and tyre guys know which one I mean.

I just looked on UK ebay and the proper number for the type is TR415. I don't know if that number is used in the USA.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
blucar

Quote:
Evidently you and and a couple other people did not read my whole comment, I clearly said that radial tires on a drive axle and a steering axle were no problem, the only time a problem occurs is when bias ply and radials are mixed.
Another example of one getting their exercise by jumping to conclusions.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Evidently you and and a couple other people did not read my whole comment, I clearly said that radial tires on a drive axle and a steering axle were no problem, the only time a problem occurs is when bias ply and radials are mixed.
Another example of one getting their exercise by jumping to conclusions.
NOT what you clearly said in YOUR initial quote (see post #5) before you went back and did some editing this morning. The "quotes and edits" show clearly what was said, and when. In addition, anyone that feels the need to mix bias and radial tires on one of these collector cars really needs to find a more-affordable hobby. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #13
Drbrown

On my '47 I'm running Coker Classic tubeless bias ply on 15 inch merc rims.

Regarding mixing of Bias and Radial tires in any arrangement, never would do that .... i.e. what kind do you use for the spare tire ? two spare tires ? Get a flat and what do you do ? Unless you explain the situation to him, what does the guy in the shop do ?
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
NOT what you clearly said in YOUR initial quote (see post #5) before you went back and did some editing this morning. The "quotes and edits" show clearly what was said, and when. In addition, anyone that feels the need to mix bias and radial tires on one of these collector cars really needs to find a more-affordable hobby. DD
When I temporarily mixed bias and radial tires it was on my 900.00 daily driver '94 toyota pickup. I would never mix them on one of my collector vehicles. Heck I got brand new store bought tires on my woodie. All four are bias ply. They are tubeless hiways on the front and tube type tractions on the rear. Paid cash for 'em too.