Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
jj5724

Question Oil filter missing

I recently purchased a restored 51 Ford Custom convertible (239 flathead V8) and noticed it didn't have an oil filter. Is it necessary to have an oil filter? I don't put in a lot of miles driving it. There must have been some logic in leaving out the oil filter. Should I look into adding the oil filter? If so, where can I find one?
jj5724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Oil filter missing

Not absolutely required, but certainly not smart to remove one. It’s a bypass system, so not a major problem if the line was plugged off. I’d definitely reinstall the filter, but that’s me.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
paul2748

Not sure if an oil filter was standard in 1951. You can get away without it if you change the oil on regular basis, at least every 3,000 miles or at least once a year, regardless of mileage
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
J Franklin

A bypass filter will filter all of the oil but not all at one time. Add the filter.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Not sure if an oil filter was standard in 1951. You can get away without it if you change the oil on regular basis, at least every 3,000 miles or at least once a year, regardless of mileage
I have the original invoice for my '51 Club Coupe, and while it shows turn signals as a charged for add-on, there is no entry for the oil filter. This leads me to believe that the filter was standard. Certainly, a convertible would have one.

I believe the filter on your car was removed in the past by someone that believed "Bypass Filters" were useless. This is far from the case, and given the conditions under which these cars are used today, I believe that they are superior to full-flow systems. They pass ALL of the oil every 10 minutes (documented by a member here) and remove smaller particles.

For the sake of originality (and your engine) install one. You should be able to find one at a swap meet, or if that's not practical, there are always some on eBay, although they are invariably overpriced. Make sure you get the '50 to '53 version, as they mount differently than the '49's. Also, Mercury units, while they will fit, have slightly different fittings and would not be strictly correct; not that it matters, because Mercury parts draw a premium.

Last edited by tubman; 10-17-2021 at 07:30 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #6
38 coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I once removed the filter from a 50 sedan that had no oil pressure at idle. The restricter was missing from the filter inlet and I didn't have a restricter "on the shelf" to install but I did have pipe plugs. In your situation I would restore a proper filter and install it, but wouldn't be in a rush to do so.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
19Fordy

jj5724: Does your engine (left head) have the 3 separate 3/8-16 bolts that hold the filter in place at the top rear of the head? Or, does the oil filter canister bolt to the head bolts? I ran my engine without a filter for about 3 years and then decided to add the original filter as I figured it was a good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4695b.jpg (62.3 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-17-2021 at 09:36 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:00 AM   #8
Ckrivin

while we're on the subject, do any of you know how to buy a restrictor for the oil cartridge intake?
Thank you!
Craig
Old 12-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #9
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrivin View Post
while we're on the subject, do any of you know how to buy a restrictor for the oil cartridge intake?
Thank you!
Craig
you can make your own by soldering a regular fitting closed and drilling a hole through it. (.060) thats how I did it and it works fine.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #10
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj5724 View Post
I recently purchased a restored 51 Ford Custom convertible (239 flathead V8) and noticed it didn't have an oil filter. Is it necessary to have an oil filter? I don't put in a lot of miles driving it. There must have been some logic in leaving out the oil filter. Should I look into adding the oil filter? If so, where can I find one?
Welcome to the ‘Barn.....is the canister missing?...or, does it just not have a cartridge in it?...if you want to add one, I have an extra. That’s a pretty car....some pictures would be nice.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #11
Ford Freak

Welcome aboard! Very nice looking '51. How about some pics? We love pics here! - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote