Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default The Leans

My 31 Tudor leans an inch to the left (measured at the fender opening) with no one on board. Is the fix to mess with the spring-to-chassis U-bolts or is there a more scientific way to make the old shaker level ?
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: The Leans

Can be one or more things. Bent frame,U-bolts, broken spring leaves. Broken or cracked front cross member and so on. Others will chime in on where to start.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
WHN

Can you push it up by hand to make it level?

90 years of a driver setting on the left side. I bet the springs are old, right!

What would your TV chair look like in 90 years? Springs, shocks, etc, etc, and a good grease job.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
Roxo

I have the same problem, Changed out the front spring and bingo!
Now just the slightest lean after getting out. Back spring will be changed out next.
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
I have the same problem, Changed out the front spring and bingo!
Now just the slightest lean after getting out. Back spring will be changed out next.
Turn the rear around?

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Turn the rear around?
I once thought of that! Then it slipped my mind. Might be worth trying when I change out my cracked transmission housing.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #7
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
I once thought of that! Then it slipped my mind. Might be worth trying when I change out my cracked transmission housing.
If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right. Change the spring, makes a big difference.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
fundytides

Had that problem once on my 31 Roadster. Head was sheared off front spring centerbolt allowing frame to slip sideways on spring.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right. Change the spring, makes a big difference.
Your right if the back spring is half as bad as the front was its best to just change it out and be done with it. Changing the front spring made a big difference in the steering and handling. I could bounce up and down on the front bumper and get very little movement.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
nick c

I would just loosen the U bolts and slip a 1/16" shim 1 3/4 x 2" long between the cross member and the top of spring, its worth a try.
carry on
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
antiquepa

On my 1930 4 door the rear cross member where the spring fits into was cracked under the u bolt. You have to pull rear seat and the pan cover, i almost din't see it, be sure to check under each u bolt. Hope this helps, but it could be weak springs, just my 2 cents.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Nothing to lose before you spend a lot of money................try tightening the U-bolts......
Paaul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
Roger V

The "A" in my avatar leaned to the left. Tried loosening the front spring u-bolts and tighten the pass. side then the driver to no avail. Replaced the front spring to no avail. Measured the left frame rail and compared to the right, thinking droop from the rear engine mount to no avail. Replaced the front spring again with a better one. Thought it couldn't be the "big" rear spring but was running out of ideas. Made left half of the rear spring measurements comparing to right side. Quite a difference. Pulled the rear spring and laid and traced each leaf out on cardboard, then flipped each. What a difference. BTW, it was a NOS spring. I remembered the center bolt had broken for which I replaced it (not a fun job). Then I thought how long it had been broken, unknown, caused the leaf movement and distortion. Thought about flipping it left to right. Thought about flipping every other leaf. Hated to lose my NOS smooth spring. Didn't want to go through this misery again so reluctantly replaced with a NROS spring I had. Installed and all was level again.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #14
Jim Huseby

Here's something which will tell which corner is sagging: (1)Park the car on a level concrete surface and make sure you have matching tires all with the same tire pressure. (2)Measure and record the heights of all 4 fenders at 12:00 o'clock. (3)Place a floor jack under the exact center of the differential (use plenty of padding to keep from chipping the paint and to allow the center section to rock) and raise the jack until both rear wheels are clear of the floor. (4)Re-measure. If the car levels out, then the rear spring or crossmember is at fault or the frame is twisted. (5) repeat steps 3 &4 but raise the front instead of the rear . You may find problems with one or both springs or crossmembers. The frame could be twisted, also. In un-restored or poorly restored cars all three problems are likely. Has anyone done it this way? You can also check the frame for twist and/or fractures in the crossmembers this way by measuring the vertical distance of all four corners of the frame to the floor with the rear of the car raised because the the front springs will hold the front of the frame still and the rear, being supported in the center, will allow the frame to do its twisting un-influenced by the rear spring. Even though the front may lean to one side or the other, just measure the vertical distance to the floor from each front corner of the frame and check if the rear corners vary the same amount. By doing both of these tests and comparing, you can also determine if the crossmembers are cracked/broken. You can inspect the front crossmember for cracks or distortion by visually inspecting it with the hood open if it is perfectly clean. The rear crossmember can be best visually inspected if you have a removable bread pan.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote