Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Engine rebuild cost

Where is George's shop located??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Barry B./ Ma.

Paul, look up www.enginerestoration.com

Barry
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
1931 flamingo

Thanks Barry!!!
paul in CT
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
JJCunningham

Thumbs down Re: Engine rebuild cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
Here is a link to Antique Engine Rebuilders in Skokie, Illinois. Rich has a price list on the website. He has shipped his engines just about everywhere. I have three done by him and have been very pleased. Gar Williams

www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com
In August, I had to replace the engine in my model A. I purchased the engine from Antique Engine Rebuilding, and they sent me a new engine, which lasted all of 200 miles before a 4-5 inch crack was revealed in the block causing radiator fluid to spray all over the street as I drove.

I was shocked to discover that the crack had been repaired with solder and then painted over!

Thankfully, it was under warranty, so I had them ship me a new engine. When it arrived, we inspected it, and found 3 more cracks in the block each with similar solder repairs, and some along sealing surfaces that would have compromised the seals.

He's willing to provide a refund if I send him both the engine blocks I have. He's already sold my old engine, so I can't get that back. This leaves me stranded without a core to exchange or rebuild. I'd steer clear.

Schwalm's is much better.

JJCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
jkcrosson

JJ, if your original engine core was good, why didn't you have Rich rebuild your core?
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
J and M Machine

As I mentioned on another post today: Things you should be asking the machine shop.
Rather than how much does it cost shouldn't be your decision what are you getting for your money. Basically for the person above received two lemons.
Filling cracks with lead or JB weld for that matter from a professional shop isn't professional.
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by J and M Machine View Post
As I mentioned on another post today: Things you should be asking the machine shop.
Rather than how much does it cost shouldn't be your decision what are you getting for your money. Basically for the person above received two lemons.
Filling cracks with lead or JB weld for that matter from a professional shop isn't professional.
Hey J&M Machine,
Are A/B blocks getting 'scarce' for builders of quantity engines, for such actions, i.e. - selling 'soldered 'lemon blocks' ,to be sold Must a builder tell a buyer of such repairs??
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCunningham View Post

He's willing to provide a refund if I send him both the engine blocks I have. He's already sold my old engine, so I can't get that back. This leaves me stranded without a core to exchange or rebuild. I'd steer clear.

Schwalm's is much better.
WOW two engines!

I can understand them wanting the two engines back to give you a refund but they have to supply you a block to make you whole, or the money for the block they sold.

What is their side of the story?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #29
JJCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcrosson View Post
JJ, if your original engine core was good, why didn't you have Rich rebuild your core?
In hindsight, I should have had my old core rebuilt - but I wrongly assumed that there were basic quality standards and that trading in the core for a rebuilt short block wouldn't leave me with a significantly inferior engine (or none at all). I'm really kicking myself now.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
JJCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
WOW two engines!

I can understand them wanting the two engines back to give you a refund but they have to supply you a block to make you whole, or the money for the block they sold.

What is their side of the story?
Yes, I agree that that he should have both blocks back if he's supplying me a refund, however, we haven't yet reached an agreement about how he's going to leave me with a core and/or money for a core. I'm new to engines, and repairing cracks, but I've learned a lot in the last month. As suggested above, don't look only at price; I went with a more affordable option for a rebuilder, and am now paying the price... literally! I'm out the labor costs, shipping costs, and the costs for the 2nd rebuilder. If I had sprung for the more expensive, higher-quality engine rebuilder from the beginning - one that didn't solder the blocks - I wouldn't be incurring these costs now.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
.. we haven't yet reached an agreement about how he's going to leave me with a core and/or money for a core. .
I have not done this but if you were to look at rebuilder sites and see the difference between core and no core rebuilding it should give you a fair worth of a core.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #32
silversink

Quote:
Yes, I agree that that he should have both blocks back if he's supplying me a refund, however, we haven't yet reached an agreement about how he's going to leave me with a core and/or money for a core. I'm new to engines, and repairing cracks, but I've learned a lot in the last month. As suggested above, don't look only at price; I went with a more affordable option for a rebuilder, and am now paying the price... literally! I'm out the labor costs, shipping costs, and the costs for the 2nd rebuilder. If I had sprung for the more expensive, higher-quality engine rebuilder from the beginning - one that didn't solder the blocks - I wouldn't be incurring these costs now.
I would at least get a lawyer to write a letter demanding your refunds and expenses and a rebuildable(not repairable) block. don't get soft with this guy the certainly didn't have your best interests in mind while collecting your cash.
silversink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #33
J and M Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey J&M Machine,
Are A/B blocks getting 'scarce' for builders of quantity engines, for such actions, i.e. - selling 'soldered 'lemon blocks' ,to be sold Must a builder tell a buyer of such repairs??
Where we are located in the NorthEast many of the blocks we see are cracked.
However with that being said; We repair all of the blocks before we send them back to the customer not with JB weld or lead we utilize metal stitching to guarantee situations like this don't occur. Yes we show every step of the rebuilding process to the customer and have an itemized receipt of all parts and repairs,work done to the engine.
Furthermore yes this does cost more and we have a reputation of costing more but we've never had to take an engine back due to block failures or any other failures of our own or mechanical. What good is the warranty if you use it daily?

Clearly this customer is out shipping for two engines and the cost of the two engines and no good engine to use; Now what? I too would contact an attorney and get a letter of guarantee for the cost of shipping the engines back and forth total refund.!

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

www.jandm-machine.com
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Benson..........right on!!!!

If you don't like antifreeze, then buy a Corvair!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #35
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcrosson View Post
Good point ! And, was 'your' core cleaned/magd/crack and defect free. If not checked for these things, you will never know whether your block core was rebuildable. As J&M Machine says...many blocks are cracked. A lot of times to the unrepairable /impractical ..cost wise condition. Was the 'core' in that category.. without checking never know !

So, that brings us to the present where there are those who want ' a lawyer' to be involved. Ha, lawyer fees may make you wish you had spent that money on a good engine. Know the saying..good money after bad , well this could be such example.
My first (lawyer) question would be ...have YOU made a written itemized request , to the rebuilder, for money owed to you ? Request written reply..certified mail/signature ? Heck, you might be surprised what such written evidence might yield. Especially, if you mention that your next step is your lawyer
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #36
JJCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Good point ! And, was 'your' core cleaned/magd/crack and defect free. If not checked for these things, you will never know whether your block core was rebuildable. As J&M Machine says...many blocks are cracked. A lot of times to the unrepairable /impractical ..cost wise condition. Was the 'core' in that category.. without checking never know !

So, that brings us to the present where there are those who want ' a lawyer' to be involved. Ha, lawyer fees may make you wish you had spent that money on a good engine. Know the saying..good money after bad , well this could be such example.
My first (lawyer) question would be ...have YOU made a written itemized request , to the rebuilder, for money owed to you ? Request written reply..certified mail/signature ? Heck, you might be surprised what such written evidence might yield. Especially, if you mention that your next step is your lawyer
You make a good point Hardtimes - it's impossible to say what the condition of my old block was without close inspection and cleaning. I do know it didn't have any problem-causing cracks, and it wasn't soldered together. I also know he rebuilt it, and sold it within 3 weeks, so it couldn't have been too problematic.

Regardless, it's water under the bridge now, and I'm well on my way to locating a locating a new block for my car, having learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
silversink

Quote:
You make a good point Hardtimes - it's impossible to say what the condition of my old block was without close inspection and cleaning. I do know it didn't have any problem-causing cracks, and it wasn't soldered together. I also know he rebuilt it, and sold it within 3 weeks, so it couldn't have been too problematic.

Regardless, it's water under the bridge now, and I'm well on my way to locating a locating a new block for my car, having learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson.
and we all know who to steer clear from in the future
silversink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #38
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Petrosino View Post
Here is their website

http://www.jandm-machine.com/
I agree, this shop is not too far from you. They are more than a Model A shop, they also do very high end. When I went in and saw Rolls Royce, Packard etc, I asked about my meager Model A , they replied " We will do your engine to the same level of quality".
My engine runs like a top, they sent email photos of every part of the rebuild. Their shop is amazing. They did the only running PT boat engine.
They would be my choice for you.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #39
Ten1nis

Jasper Engines remanufactures (not rebuilds) Model A engines. They have an antique engine specialty area that only does vintage engines. All their work carries a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Worth checking out
Ten1nis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #40
1931 flamingo

Ten1nis: Enlighten me. What is the difference between "remanufactures" and a rebuilt?? Short or long blocks or both?? Their block or would they "remanufacture" mine??
Paul in CT