Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #1
Bruce Adams

Default Front Spring Shackle Removal

Are there any ways to remove the front spring shackles other than pounding away on them? I have one side about 1/2" out and wonder about some small air tool or something.
Thanks
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Front Spring Shackle Removal

You shouldn't have to pound away on them. Are you using a spreader on the spring? Much has been said about rear spring spreaders, but very little about front springs and the need for a spreader Pinch the end of a 3/4' pipe and place a 3/4 threaded rod with a nut on it. Grind a knife edge on the threaded rod so it can "Nestle" into the crevice at the eye of the spring.This should expand the spring enough that you can remove the tension from the spring and the shackle should move fairly easily. If you don't control the spring tension, you could be hurt badly by it when it does let go. Springs are no joke!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Are there any ways to remove the front spring shackles other than pounding away on them? I have one side about 1/2" out and wonder about some small air tool or something.
Thanks
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Bill in NJ

There are you tube videos on how to do this. I think the guys name is jack ??? He is from a active model a club
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
katy

Are you talking about the shackles or the spring perches?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
100IH

Good larger slide hammers usually have a hook attachment in the kit. That way you can pull, and not drive out on the threads
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
redmodelt

You DO NOT need a spring spreader for the front spring. The only reason to use a spring spreader is to make it easier to remove or install the shackles but that can be done without one.
Sounds like you still might have too much weight on the front axle. How are you holding the car up? Jack stands under the frame? Have you got the wheels off? Is the axle just hanging there? If the car is on jack stands and the wheels are off, maybe try jacking the axle up a little.

Last edited by redmodelt; 07-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
Synchro909

I agree with redmodelt, no spreader is required for the front spring. I put a block of wood between the axle and the shackle, then jack the axle till there is no pressure on the shackle. They almost fall out (or in) then.
If you are trying to remove the shackle, it must be worn out and so, loose in the bushes. There should be nothing making it tight if you have taken all pressure off it.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
Bruce Adams

THANK YOU ALL !!
GOT IT !

My Les Andrews Vol I, 2002 revision said "CONTINUE RAISING THE AXLE TO SPREAD THE SPRING UNTIL MOST TENSION IS RELEASED FROM THE SPRING SHACKLES."
This turned out to be false, as I let it down onto the jack stands which were already on the frame and EASILY drove out the shackle pins.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
sofield

Hello
Are you talking about the shackle bushings in both the spring and/or spring perches? Are you using a bushing driver that is designed for that purpose? Keep moving the bushing back and forth at the same time spraying bushing with Blaster solvent. It should work it's way loose. Good Luck
Sofield
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
larrys40

Some must be using weak springs as I usually find there to be some spread required to line up the shackles. I would rather not mess up the shackles and bushing and make them go in smoothly than not. I have the tools so no big deal, but if you don’t you can devise your owne method from a 2x4 or otherwise.

I do many Front and rear ends and prefer to use the tools to do it wisely and efficiently.
Unfortunately there are junk front springs out there that don’t require any arch stretch to attach. I won’t use them as they don’t support the front end well.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
midgetracer

Larry, you can use the weight of the car if you put a block of wood under the spring eye.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #12
larrys40

Yes you can do that but I have had springs before where that wasn’t enough weight. I usually do my front axle rebuilds out of the car as an assembly and install in one piece as an assembly. Just much easier. Trying to hustle a loose spring in the cross member to bolt up isn’t part of my assembly plan .

My point was if you are pulling out a spring with no tension and installing same then you probably will still have a weak spring front axle assembly.
When a good spring is in the car you should see almost all of the axle visible from th front below the front apron. 30/30 half the axle or may and 28/29 all the axle
If not it is too weak.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote