Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
peters180a/170b

Default Leakless water pump....?

A friend of mine lost his leakless water pump on a tour in Canada,, Into the radiator,, the shaft let loose and sheared off the pin and then the impeller did damage ... He forgot who he bought the original housing leakless rebuilt pump from... So i need to buy one for a up coming engine job for a friend.[ and i want to stay in good grace with my friend] . Anyone with some high miles on a leakless pump and to where i should sent his money. thanks
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Leakless water pump....?

Pete, it depends on how authentic it needs to be. Snyders is now making one repro that is pretty good, ...and James Rupert converts originals as does Mike Kemp (317) 831-4471 at his company called Omega Leakless pumps.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

My original water pump has been the best and completely leakless for the past 10 years. Two weeks ago I removed the original rear bushing and installed the new one with a seal on the rear end of it. This was just an added measure to keep the grease from possibly entering the coolant. The original lead packing rings with grease makes an excellent leakless pump.

I've heard and read about too many of the so called leakless pumps that leak, or the bearings go out, or now it broke and really messed up the works.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
peters180a/170b

Spoke to Ross my 180A friend and this was his second pump ,,Lost the first one and builder sent him a replacement one. Was not Mike Kemp so i sent him a email ...thanks. To show how long i had mine in storage waiting for the day to use it i bought a few from Rex Reis way back when . On my Roadster , Coupe and now on my phaeton.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

All my A's ( six ) have rebuilt waterpumps by Bill Buckmeyer in Texas. His email is [email protected]
I have never had a problem with any of his rebuilds. He also does a great job rebuilding transmissions and carburetors. This guy is a class act !! If you need his address let me know.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
All my A's ( six ) have rebuilt waterpumps by Bill Buckmeyer in Texas. His email is [email protected]
I have never had a problem with any of his rebuilds. He also does a great job rebuilding transmissions and carburetors. This guy is a class act !! If you need his address let me know.
Wayne

My Tanny, complete brakes and backing plates, water pumps, towers and carbs are from Bill the last 7 years. He is TOP notch and doing a water pump for me after 7500 miles on it, started to leak, he stands behind everything he does and does it well!
good luck
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
glenn in camino

There is no such thing as a leekless Model A waterpump. I rebuild mine using Brattons parts including a stainless steel shaft, a rear bushing with an O ring, the ring style lead packing and waterproof grease. If a leak starts, I tighten the packing nut.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
columbiA

Of all the A,s Ive had over the years,Ive never had a problem with the original style pump.Other than adjusting the packing nut & a small amount of grease every 500 miles they will last for 1,000,s of miles.For me,the"leakless" pumps are in the same category as the wireless upper dist plate,"modern" points,alternators,12V etc. JMO
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
john in illinois

I use a Rupert heavy duty pump. I have about 12,000 miles on it.You do not have to grease it. I find this convenient after a long days drive. One less thing to service.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
roccaas

Mikes -A-Fordable.

Since 2005 and 18000 miles, not 1 drop of H2O, grease, or any adjustments.

The first one he shipped had the shaft drilled just slightly too low,to allow the aluminum fan to mount to the shaft, so I called Mike, he hand fitted a fan to another pump shipped it for Saturday delivery at his cost and included a prepaid box to ship back the mismatched pump and fan back to Maysville.

Now THAT'S SERVICE for a product I'll (probably) never have to buy again.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
pat in Santa Cruz

I've been using Rupert's pumps for years and tens of thousands of miles with no trouble. His extreme duty pump needs no grease. You can distinguish it from others when you pull it. The rear bearing has a circular, stainless support attached in the water jacket end that makes it look very different from an original. This modification strengthens the rear bearing but is not visible from outside.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Frank Miller

"Into the radiator,, the shaft let loose and sheared off the pin and then the impeller did damage ..."
Am I to understand that the pin holding the impeller to the shaft sheared? If that is what happened I would think there are more problems than the pump. These are rather simple to rebuild and while some may leak a catastrophic failure like this is not too common, or am I not experienced enough? Remember an unbalanced fan can also cause problems with a quality rebuilt pump. You also do not want to over-tighten the fan belt.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Pat,
Do you recommend Rupert's 'Standard' pump, or the 'Extreme' version?
Worth the extra money in design, materials, or performance?
Thanks
Vince
I got the "Extreme" version. I didn't think that the price difference was all that great, and since I was running an alternator as well, thought that the extra was worth it. I have no complaints with this unit and would do it again if I ever get another A.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote