Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
brum1

Default Before I get started...

Installing new spring perches into the front axle. I have axle out & pulled the spring off the car to paint.

What is the best sequence to install the full assembled spring onto the axle (I have the spring spreader)

Should I install the spring off the car onto the axle or install the spring into the car and then slide the axle up into positon.

Any feedback is appreacited
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Before I get started...

I would install the spring to the axle and then into the car. Make sure bolt goes into hole in frame. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I'd also install the spring to the axle first. The front spring doesn't have near as much stored energy as the rear spring. Like Paul said, be sure the square head of the center bolt is square to the spring leaf and enters the square hole in the frame. I like to smear a little grease over the top leaf. Once the cars weight is back on the spring you can tighten the U bolts.

I'm not sure what year you're working on, but the hand crank bearing has a front side and back side on my car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Tom Endy

I agree:

I have a wooden jig I made that clamps to a work bench or picnic table that the entire front end sits in nicely including the radius rod. When I work on a front end I take the entire assembly out of the car by unhooking the spring U-bolts and radius ball.

This way I can do a complete front end overhaul including the spring while standing at a work bench. I assemble everything in the jig and slide it under the car and hook the spring and radius back up.
Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
QGolden

I finished mine just before cold weather set in. Did it the same way, I lowered the axle with the spring intact, after doing my shackles/bushings and springs, I put the spring to the axle and raised the assembly to the frame. The only obstacle I ran into, is that I used the nylon sliders, and had to trim them at the center. They were a bit wider than the spring and fit a little tight in the front crossmember.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
brum1

Great feedback guys-will install over the weekend I hope and then get it back on the road. Winter has set in and the car hasn't seen the road for 3 months. Also installed rebuilt shocks from Robert Paul and looking for a much improved ride
Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
mrraford

You also want to make sure you put the front of the axle toward the front. The tapered pins that hold the king pins have tapered holes in the axle to fit. I had to take one all the way back apart one time when I overlooked that issue.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote