Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #21
George Miller

Default Re: NEW parts That Are Junk!!!

As a guy that ran a few machine departments. I agree some one is not doing there job. But as long as people by the junk it will not change. Money rules.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #22
BillCNC

Staying silent get's you something like this in the mail.

Bolt's correct one pack has 1 correct nut and 3 wrong ones. Second set has 2 correct nut's and 2 wrong nut's. Where are the cotter pins????

I live darn near next to a hardware store that sells castle nut's but no castle bolts, so I was lucky in the sence they didn't have to go back, but it did cost me more buying 8 nut's.

What were some of you saying about you want cheap Parts? ... The NEW nut's cost almost as much as a set of bolt's!!!

Cheaper???? I almost twice as much for these bolt's so I'd say NO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180114_135231.jpg (53.8 KB, 167 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
wrndln

Bill,
I appears you bought the bags of bolt/nuts from Mac's. I swore them off years ago. They are not a good supplier.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #24
craftola

Not to bash a particular vendor but, I too, stopped buying my Model A parts from Mac's. I was a faithful buyer from Eckler's (Mac's mother company) when restoring my El Camino. I had great customer service and, for the most part, they supplied quality parts. When I started working on the Model A, Mac's was my first choice. While their parts are probably comparable to most of the other vendors, good, bad or otherwise, their customer "service" is atrocious. Shipment delays with no communication. Exorbitant shipping fees (not that any are cheap), etc. When it comes to the Model A, Mac's will never get another dime from me.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #25
700rpm

Bill, yer cryin' in the chapel. We have ALL had these issues over the years. Parts have improved, but not because we pissed and moaned among ourselves. We called, and continue to call, the suppliers, and the good ones take note and make it right when and where they can. You have some options: call the suppliers as mentioned; accept that the world isn't perfect; recognize that you are not having fun with your Model A and consider another hobby; or, since you have the experience, start manufacturing and selling your own line of perfectly turned out goods. We'll buy 'em. But ranting here is the same as staying silent and saying nothing, because we can't do anything to help.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #26
Railcarmover
BANNED

Or like in every other car restoration game, from Vw to Packard,nothing beats original...nothing.Not to say you cant improve,modern fasteners and sealants,chemical bolt locking compounds all improve on what Ford used.certain new things are better...but for hard parts you cant beat what was made at the Rouge
Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #27
glenn in camino

I buy all my repo parts from Brattons. They're all good except for some chassis parts that were forged originally but the repos are cast iron that will crack with a little pressure.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #28
daren007

Juan and Miguel. I have had the pleasure of working along side enough Dave's and Tom's who wouldn't be qualified to flip burgers.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #29
barry022

Model A replacement parts that fit and function properly were available from manufacturers long after the Model A was new despite the fact that equipment used to fabricate and machine those parts is not as good as modern machinery.

The problem is three-fold:

1) Model A owners tend to be the cheap and will will buy an inferior part that costs a quarter less than one that is a better design.

2) Vendors that take whatever the manufacturer sends to them.

3) Manufacturers know Model A vendors will take whatever is available regardless of
part quality.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:33 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Juan and Miguel. I have had the pleasure of working along side enough Dave's and Tom's who wouldn't be qualified to flip burgers.
Whoa.........back up there, I do to know how to flip burgers.

I'm sure these bushings weren't made for Model A's, because if they were, they'd likely be a one piece bushing, and maybe even have a grease hole, even though very few pedals had grease fittings.

I'd bet these are standard size bushings that fit many applications, and two side by side just happen to fit the Model A. I'd just drill or notch, as has been mentioned, and the job would take less time than it took for me to type this.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:37 AM   #31
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
OK folk's I've had it up to my ear's with this crap. Over half of these parts coming from REPUTABLE VENDORS are junk. I will be going to go over my RE-Worked NEW parts list and AM going to post them here.

Bill
The (wannabe) classic car restorers from today are spoiled ! First of all in my eyes don't deserve to be called 'resorers'. It's easy to be in your chair and click on a button, and receive parts the next day. It's not so easy to put or adapt these parts on an old vehicle. (And it's even less easier to restore the original parts of your car). And then it's also so easy to claim your money back (still sitting in front of your computer) because the parts are not what you expected...
(My opinion and free to speak)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 AM   #32
SSsssteamer

We also own Stanley Steam Cars and a 1910 Kissel Kar model D10 touring. We have to personally make all of our own hard parts from scratch because there aren't any vendors stocking gears, water pumps, fenders and the such for these early cars. Last winter I had to make up four new transmission gears for our Kissel Kar. It was a good learning curve for me on cutting new gear blanks and heat treating the new transmission gears. Unlike other makes of early cars, your world for the Model A Ford is well supplied with replacement parts. Count your blessings of being able to purchase your model A Ford Parts with what ever quality that you can still get. If you don't like their reproduction quality, don't bitch, just don't buy them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stanleys at home small file.jpg (54.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 1910 Kissel Kar.jpg (304.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 AM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Let's take a look at this from a step back.

How many of you looked up the part before you posted your comment?

If you did look it up you would see that the photo shows the holes. The description also refers to ford part numbers. Is it so wrong to expect a vendor that is selling a part to sell that part built to the same spec as the part number calls out (he is paying a royalty to Ford for use of the part number)?

Still stepping back, how many complaints has the vendor received about this? He was called about this, right? How many have complained here since the site was reborn? How is he to know?

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/br...edal-shaft-set
Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 AM   #34
Hoogah

I just re-read a thread that I started on this very topic back in 2015. In that thread, Steve from Bert’s laid the blame fair and square on those (the bulk?) of us who take the cheapest part (post #21). I guess nothing has changed. We’re a bunch of tightwads!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...8795&showall=1

Last edited by Hoogah; 01-15-2018 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Fixed reference error
Old 01-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #35
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
I just re-read a thread that I started on this very topic back in 2015. In that thread, Steve from Bert’s laid the blame fair and square on those (the bulk?) of us who take the cheapest part (post #24). I guess nothing has changed. We’re a bunch of tightwads!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...8795&showall=1
You and Steve are absolutely correct. ALL markets are driven by those with the money. That's us folks. This is how I personally combat this insidious problem...I buy my parts from Berts. What are all of you doing to fix this problem?
Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #36
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Whoa.........back up there, I do to know how to flip burgers.

I'm sure these bushings weren't made for Model A's, because if they were, they'd likely be a one piece bushing, and maybe even have a grease hole, even though very few pedals had grease fittings.

I'd bet these are standard size bushings that fit many applications, and two side by side just happen to fit the Model A. I'd just drill or notch, as has been mentioned, and the job would take less time than it took for me to type this.
Tom,

Also with this statement, most, if not all, of original Ford bushings had some sort of graphite type inlay on the inner surface of the bushing...didn't they? Where all the new reproduction bushings do not?

Pluck
Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #37
Growley bear

Oil Lite bushings; invented by Walter Chrysler.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #38
BILL WILLIAMSON

DON'T make FUN of workers, just because they have a certain ethnic NAME!!! You're inferring that they're STUPID!
I'd get PISSED, if you called me a DUMB ASSED OKIE!!! I came out of the WOODS, in S.E. Oklahoma & proud of it!!
Bill Stickitinyourear!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #39
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
DON'T make FUN of workers, just because they have a certain ethnic NAME!!! You're inferring that they're STUPID!
I'd get PISSED, if you called me a DUMB ASSED OKIE!!! I came out of the WOODS, in S.E. Oklahoma & proud of it!!
Bill Stickitinyourear!
My father was born in 1918 in a cotton field in Peauteau, OK. Cut his teeth on Model T's and A's. Migrant farm workers. Talk about some people who had to be very ingenious to keep their cars running. They couldn't afford new parts, they usually made their own.
I agree with Bill.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #40
marty in Ohio

Here's my two cents.
I'm no mechanic but I try to do what I can. Replacing the bushings is what I did last November. My pedals did not have grease fittings but I wanted to be able to lubricate them, so I drilled the pedals. I followed the Les Andrews book and on page 1-232 it states that after May 1930 grease fittings were installed. It further states that after installing the bushing, drill a 19/64" hole through the bushing.
Maybe reading a little will save so much complaining!
Marty
Closed Thread