Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
midgetracer

Default Rear transmission bearing retainer

I am rebuilding a spare transmission for my model A. I have several rear bearing retainers. some have evenly spaced bolt pattern where the clam shell attaches and some have unevenly spaced bolts, most have only one machined bearing holder but one has two steps. What fits the 30-31 A and what do the others fit? Thanks for the help.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Rear transmission bearing retainer

Even spacing for the later transmission
Old 08-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Yep, I'm not sure what month the retainer changed to even spacing, but any 1930-1 should have even spacing. 1928 is uneven and has the hook over the crossmember lip.

I wonder if the change to even spacing wasn't about the same time in mid 29 when the parking brake handle moved to the right side of the shift tower.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
daveymc29

I have a 31 with the even spacing, just replaced with a 31 that had uneven spacing, probably had been changed by a prior owner. If not being judged, either will work but the clamshell has to all be one or the other to match that rear bearing retainer. Don't leave out the center piece of the clamshell. A friend has pulled several apart that have that important part missing. I can't believe we are that stupid, but some of us are.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
Tom Endy

The year model of your car is not the key factor, it is the type of U-joint housing assembly that is installed. The early cars had an uneven bolt pattern assembly, the later cars had an even bolt pattern assembly. After 85 plus years either can be installed.

When installing a transmission make sure the rear bearing retainer installed matches up with the U-joint housing you are going to use.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
midgetracer

Thanks for all the input. I will use the even spaced one since I have plenty of both types and associated parts. What had me questioning was the unevenly spaced one had a casting number of A-7085-C , and the evenly spaced one had a casing number of A-7085-A1. This made me think the -C (unevenly spaced one) was the later one. The DeAngeles Book also was very confusing on this part. The original parts books listed an A-7085-B and a -BR. The green bible said the unevenly spaced one was the later one. I am becoming totally confused.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Thanks for all the input. I will use the even spaced one since I have plenty of both types and associated parts. What had me questioning was the unevenly spaced one had a casting number of A-7085-C , and the evenly spaced one had a casing number of A-7085-A1. This made me think the -C (unevenly spaced one) was the later one. The DeAngeles Book also was very confusing on this part. The original parts books listed an A-7085-B and a -BR. The green bible said the unevenly spaced one was the later one. I am becoming totally confused.
Mornin' Bro,
After readin' all this, I'm CONFUSED too.
Up @ 3:17 AM to "P" & stayed up, waitin' fur my ANTI-PAIN-PILL & EXTRA STRONG Coffee, to "kick" IN!--BARELY remembered HOW to log in????
Groggy Bro Bill W.