Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default 3 ring pistons

I have a stash of 3 ring aluminum 3-3/16 pistons Ford part # 09A6110- G .060 over. are these suitable for a stock engine , I realize ford went to a 4 ring design and some of us are using 4 ring pistons and leaving off the fourth ring ,the ring lands are 3/32 compression and 5/32 oil ring, also I'll need wrist pins and retainer clips, who sells new old stock wrist pins ? and is there an alternative to the wire clips such as an internal flat double eye (common hardware store ) steel snap ring ? these pistons have the side slots, is there a clearance spec for the slotted type or is .0015-.002 wall to piston skirt clearance acceptable? also there are two steel pieces inside just below the ring lands with cut outs that look as if they are for piston expanders, are piston expanders required on these New pistons ? I have found that there are quite a few surprises on these early fords when it comes to unusual design and maybe product field testing, I was thinking maybe the 3 ring pistons were a discontinued for some failure reason?
Thanks
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 3 ring pistons

Do you have any idea of the vintage? Can it be determined from the part number?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

Thes pistons are of the auto thermic design and are designed to have a tight fit in the cylinder. .oo15/.002. Nice pistons for a street engine, mild cam hi compression heads. 2gc carb/
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:39 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

Since they are ford pistons they came without pins installed...should be pins available from several of the big parts vendors and the piston manufacturers like Egge.
They are early non offset pistonpins...puts them in the up to -48 era...starting out as a mercury part.
Ford pistons are made to fit a bore size...bore .060 and they should work just fine..
Ford went to 4-ring pistons to handle oil control issues...are we worried about oilconsumption ?...are modern piston rings better...is it a real problem to worry about in a hobby car...

Last edited by flatheadmurre; 02-13-2020 at 01:50 PM.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
deuce_roadster

09A is a 40 Mercury part #
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
Flathead

The advent of "modern" three piece oil ring design has made four ring pistons antiquated.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #7
Ggmac

The Pistons may have a color near the pins . If it does it represents the pin size . If my brain is working correctly. I've got the color to size chart somewhere.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
Fordestes

Thanks all , Ggmac I see a red mark on the pistons ,that had me curiouse as well , I thought mabe they were a ford failure design or something of that nature , I am going to go ahead and use them , I hated to waste a new set of pistons or mabe set up for failure , never seen a Ford brand three ring aluminum 3-3/16 bore piston till now. I gave away a couple sets of pins a year or so back ,they must have been for these pistons ( shame on me) I never checked these out, I thought all three ring pistons were for 3 1/6 bore, appreciate the input. Flathead murre, I agree with you on the ring and oil cons; I found a couple sets new old replacement (aftermarket rings) to fit the pistons , Do you recommend the tapered heavy pins over the early style pins? or does it really matter? I have an exceptionally heavy accelerator foot at times and don't need any parts flying out the crankcase . Thanks again all .
Old 02-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
flatheadmurre

If you are balancing the rotating assembly...sometimes choosing a lighter pin avoids adding heavy metal and thatīs a bonus...drilling out metal balancing is one thing..adding weight is less fun.
Otherwise if itīs not heavily hot rodded the pins will survive std.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Thanks all , Ggmac I see a red mark on the pistons ,that had me curiouse as well , I thought mabe they were a ford failure design or something of that nature , I am going to go ahead and use them , I hated to waste a new set of pistons or mabe set up for failure , never seen a Ford brand three ring aluminum 3-3/16 bore piston till now. I gave away a couple sets of pins a year or so back ,they must have been for these pistons ( shame on me) I never checked these out, I thought all three ring pistons were for 3 1/6 bore, appreciate the input. Flathead murre, I agree with you on the ring and oil cons; I found a couple sets new old replacement (aftermarket rings) to fit the pistons , Do you recommend the tapered heavy pins over the early style pins? or does it really matter? I have an exceptionally heavy accelerator foot at times and don't need any parts flying out the crankcase . Thanks again all .
Find the correct size pins ( usually available on eBay ) I'm pretty sure they'll be available only in one weight .
Old 02-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #11
Ggmac

I went to look for the green book with the pin color sizes and , well , cant remember where I put it ! I'll probably remember at midnight.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #12
Fordestes

I appreciate it , If it wasn't for you letting me know about the color codes I would not have ever realized it till I got all standard size pins, then I would have been pulling what hair I have left on my bald head. I 'll try and see what I can find , if you happen to find the info I will be grateful , I see the color codes you spoke of but didn't realize what they meant , that is why I asked about the pistons , never ran across this before. Many thanks to you and all the fordbarners.
D.Estes
Old 02-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
marko39

I can't find red but pink denotes a standard size and listed as 39-41.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:43 AM   #14
Mart

Re the piston pin sizes. The pistons and pins that I took out of the crusty flatty I'm currently working on had pins that were .004" down from standard. (.75") I had to open the rod bushings out to .75" to fit a different set of pistons. I didn't know different sizes were available.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
Fordestes

I never heard of under .750. But as I stated these engines sometimes are full of surprises, a gracious Fordbarn member Tim Ayers is sending me some to fit to my piston Rod assemblies, and at no charge at that , Many thanks to you Tim.
Fordestes