Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2021, 11:31 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default V8 60HP engine sitting beside a V8 85 HP engine

Does anyone have a good picture of a 60HP V8 engine sitting beside an 85HP V8 engine for comparison purposes. I know there is quite a bit of differences in the size of the two engines, but I'd love to see a picture of the two, on stands, side by side, even if it took a little photoshopping to do it. I'd love to have such a picture as wallpaper on my computer screen or on the wall on my man cave as small as it is. Restored and complete engines would be awesome. I hope someone can make this happen for real to satisfy the musings of a 90 year old man who has loved and restored old Fords for most of his adult life, and is presently the oldest member of the Fordbarn. What say you guys. Hint, my 90th birthday is coming up on 12/27/21. Lawson Cox [email protected], 770 784 0507.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:02 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: V8 60HP engine sitting beside a V8 85 HP engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Does anyone have a good picture of a 60HP V8 engine sitting beside an 85HP V8 engine for comparison purposes. I know there is quite a bit of differences in the size of the two engines, but I'd love to see a picture of the two, on stands, side by side, even if it took a little photoshopping to do it. I'd love to have such a picture as wallpaper on my computer screen or on the wall on my man cave as small as it is. Restored and complete engines would be awesome. I hope someone can make this happen for real to satisfy the musings of a 90 year old man who has loved and restored old Fords for most of his adult life, and is presently the oldest member of the Fordbarn. What say you guys. Hint, my 90th birthday is coming up on 12/27/21. Lawson Cox [email protected], 770 784 0507.

That's funny, there's some other guy on here that posted pretty much the same thing as you, like maybe 12 minutes earlier... or was it later? than you. He says HE'S the oldest old fart on the barn too.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Lawson Cox

[QUOTE=ford38v8;2080734]That's funny, there's some other guy on here that posted pretty much the same thing as you, like maybe 12 minutes earlier... or was it later? than you. He says HE'S the oldest old fart on the barn too. [/QUOT

No telling what I'll do at any given moment, Alan. You'll get there some day too. LOL

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 12-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post

OK Lawson! Here's your "Happy Birthday" picture .....BIG 'N LITTLE engines, side by side, and with Henry hisself to make it just a little more official. V8-60 on RIGHT, and 21-stud on LEFT. Likely a 1937 picture. Enjoy, The Coopman

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 12-05-2021 at 12:20 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:13 AM   #5
38 coupe

Not just Henry, that is also Edsel. That is 1937 with the introduction of the 60 hp to the USA.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:27 AM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Not just Henry, that is also Edsel. That is 1937 with the introduction of the 60 hp to the USA.

Poor old Edsel, a lot like Rodney Dangerfield .....Didn't never get no respect, especially from his dad! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
Lawson Cox

Thanks for posting the picture coopman. I picked up my 60HP yesterday. It is now sitting in my shop, ready to be cleaned up. I like the stands those engines are mounted on. I may try to copy them for mine if I can figure out how the bottom part was configured.

The trip to pick the engine up was wonderful. Beautiful weather. I got to be back in the beautiful East Tennessee hills where I spent my early years. I got to meet two great guys and look at a whole slew of beautiful Fords. I also got to know my grandson-in-law, who took me up on the trip, a little better. Too bad Georgia lost to Alabama though. Bummer.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #8
5851a

A longtime friend had a 60, 85 and a Lincoln flathead all setting on the ground, it was quite a sight to see. I know the 60 was gone by the time the Lincoln came.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #9
jimTN

If this works, Lawson beside his 60.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211204_135708.jpg (39.8 KB, 57 views)
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #10
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
If this works, Lawson beside his 60.
If I could post a picture here (I've given up on that) I would post a picture of JimTN and his friend who owned the 60HP I bought. Both seemed to be great guys, obsessed/blessed with old Fords.

I am extremely pleased with the engine. His friend even found a generator and fan to go along with the deal although the fan hub is not the proper length. The Fan hub should be 2". Anybody got one? (I think the generator is same on 60 vs 85. Comments) Oh, were ALL Ford generators stamped with the Ford logo or not? (Probably not.) Authority?

The Serial number on the transmission is *54-5419994*. It is an iron side engine. Can anyone give me a close production date?

The engine is free and turns over nicely by hand using a ratchet on the nut on the front of the crankshaft. The water pumps are both free and seem tight. The carb is a 95 instead of an 81. (Anyone have an 81 to spare? It doesn't have to work, just look good.0)

The distributor looks good. Looking at the inside of the water pumps and the radiator hose outlets there seems to be almost no indication of rust. The engine has been stored well. I truly believe this engine could be made to run with little effort.

I will be posting more on this engine and my progress with it from time to time and asking a lot of questions and listing parts I may need.

Remember guys, this engine is going to the Early Ford V8 Museum in Auburn, Indiana when I ride off into the sunset, so any help with part CORRECT parts will be greatly appreciated by all concerned. The museum has the tin side but no iron side.

I know there was a book long ago on the 60HP that is out of print, but his son was going to do a second printing. Does anyone know where I might obtain a copy of that book?

Lawson Cox [email] [email protected] 770-784-0507 land line 404 316 6748 cell

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 12-05-2021 at 07:23 PM.