Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
bavArian

Default Engine sputters and dies when at high rpms and under load

Hello everyone,

2 weeks ago the A ran fine, but in the last few days I've been having a problem with the engine.

Current conditions: ~50 fahrenheit ambient temperature, dry, fuel has max. 5% ethanol in it and is fresh

When driving under high load and at mid to high rpms it tends to die while driving with missfire from the exhaust. If I lower the rpms, the engine stays on most of the time but I can't accelerate anymore. It's especially bad uphill. If it stays running I get missfire and a bad throttle response, making it impossible to keep moving. If I stop the engine and let it sit for a while or remove the drain plug of the carb and screw it back in (fuel running from the carb obviously) it usually starts right up and runs fine for a short time.

I've done/checked the following things:

- filled the tank to 3/4
- checked for a steady stream of fuel from the sediment bowl, looks good
- disassembled the car, everythings clean (jets as well) and gaskets are in place
- checked the float, it's the right height above the upper housing and moves freely
- cleaned fuel strainer
- float valve seems to work fine if carb is disassembled
- gas cap tight or missing doesn't make a difference

It idles perfectly but will make problems when it's running above what I guess are 1200 (??) rpm. Downhill/level roads with low revs are no problem.

Am I correct that it's not getting enough fuel? I've read that the float valve can work fine if the carb is disassembled but cause problems when running? I don't know how old the float valve is but I assume ->very<- is the correct answer.

If that's unlikely, what else could it be? Ignition seems unlikely because why would it run well for half a minute or so before making problems?

Hope that someone can guide me in the right direction.

Greetings from Germany,

Daniel
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
History

Default Re: Engine sputters and dies when at high rpms and under load

You may have a gasket that is compromised between carburetor and intake or between intake and head? I’ve not experienced this but it sounds reasonable to me?
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
bavArian

Carb to intake gasket is new and the surfaces look good. I'll check for vacuum leaks tomorrow, but 2 or 3 weeks ago I didn't find any except for the throttle shaft.

And if there is a vacuum leak, shouldn't it always run bad? It runs fine at high rpms for a short time, maybe half a minute uphill and 1 minute on flat roads?
Old 10-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
History

It sounds like fuel starve. I would look for fuel flow, make sure the float is set correctly and isn’t sticking and vacuum leaks. Wish I could tell you more precisely, I think it has to be one of those.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Check the end of the fuel line. If it extends too far past the ferrule, it can hit the screen and restrict flow.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #6
livinginthepast

You seem to have checked out the fuel system pretty well...assuming you haven't got a grose jet fitted which are sometimes troublesome...I would suggest you try replacing the condenser in the ignition system
livinginthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
wwirz

Replacing the condenser is an easy fix/try. I had a similar issue a few months back. I was driving the car and I commented the car had no power. When hill climbing it was worse....I could take no hill at all except in 1st gear and then no throttle. The car was sputtering like crazy. Barely limped home. What it turned out to be was that the distributor cam had rotated. The car would start and idle (?) but also smoked. I retimed the engine and all was OK. I think if I were Henry F., I would have had a left hand thread on the cam screw because in the direction of cam rotation the cam screw can loosen. I ran this phenomenon of cam rotating with other club members and they had it happen to them too. Bottom line: Check your timing. If it is not the condenser.
Let us know how this turns out.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
lrf

I had a problem with my "A" running fine for about a mile then she would run terrible, the condenser was replaced and now she runs fine. The cold condenser showed it was fine on the ohm meter, but when heated with a match, showed a short. Also check your point gap, I've seen the stationary point screw back-out and change the gap. Also, know that the distr. cam screw must have a thin lock washer under it to keep the screw tight. With 50 years of "A"ing, I've seen a lot as have most in the old car community. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
nkaminar

This may help: http://model-a.org/default.html
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:03 PM   #10
bavArian

Sorry, forgot to mention that the fuel line to the carb hasn't changed and it is ending well before the fuel strainer. So that can't be the problem either.

The float valve looks similar to this one:
https://www.macsautoparts.com/model-...8-24872-1.html
With the exception that it hasn't got the two cutouts on the float-side of the valve. Also not cross-drilled.

I'll switch the condenser for a spare new one I have here, maybe that solves it although I doubt it. The problem seems too random for that to be the cause. After all why should it return to perfect working order after sitting just half a minute, it won't cool off much inside the distributor. But maybe it really overheats because of low resistance...

Timing has been checked last week, but I'll double check when switching out the condenser.

Thanks for now, I'll report back.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:37 PM   #11
old ugly

sounds like fuel starvation.

but try the condenser first that is easy. if that doesn't help

pull all the lines off. all the way back to the gas tank, blow them out, things like a small spider web in there or gunk may slow the fuel down just enough that it can only maintain a low rpm.
put a pail under the gas tank tap and open it, see if it runs freely. it should pour out fast.
then put the line back on the tank with a hose into a bigger pail and let it run into the pail for as long as you can. if the flow slows down the cap is not venting. BUT you said you have run it without the gas cap, if so likely not the problem.
then put the line back on to the sediment bowl, put the engine fuel line on and into the pail again, if the flow slows down then the sediment bowl screen or orifice is plugged.
then put the line to the carb. with the gas tank tap still shut off, remove the bottom half of the carb. put your pail under the carb and turn the tap on, watch and see how fast the fuel runs out. if it runs out as a good stream then the flow into the carb is fine.
this is a good time to put a small jar under the float and valve, held on with and elastic or something and check the float height make sure it is set to 5/8"floating in the gas.
once that is all done drive it. if then it dies the carb may still have dirt in it.

it may sound time consuming but sometimes there are no shortcuts.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #12
bavArian

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
then put the line back on the tank with a hose into a bigger pail and let it run into the pail for as long as you can. if the flow slows down the cap is not venting. BUT you said you have run it without the gas cap, if so likely not the problem.

My car has a split fuel line from sediment bowl to carb, flow from the bowl is good. Carb-flow was checked with water when I completely dismantled it to check why it wouldn't run properly. Couldn't find a problem there, but will check through the drain plug of the main jet tomorrow. That seems to be the easiest way to check the entire carb for flow.

As the car only has a seasonal registration which ends with October, the 31st is the last day to test it on the road this year. If I don't find the problem today (tomorrow for you guys in the US) it's back to the drawing board for the winter.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
old ugly

if you run it on fast idle with the hand throttle does it die?

does adjusting the GAV change anything?

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
Old 10-31-2021, 08:00 AM   #14
eagle

Also check point gap. The point block wears, then the points close up.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:52 AM   #15
Rob Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
There are some good points in this thread. Pardon the pun.

I've been in the thick of it all summer as we drove our coupe almost everyday for 30-150 miles. When the points close up, the points arm can short against the cam, rub block worn down. The stationary side of the points can back up on you if not tightened securely. I've had both these conditions in the last couple months. However, the symptoms were an occasional stumble and / or a plain old "stop dead in the water"
Old 10-31-2021, 08:55 AM   #16
old ugly

you had mentioned that when you drive and try to achieve higher speed it pops in the exhaust and will not rev higher. backfire in the exhaust could be spark is to retarded, spark too retarded will also limit the rpms.
BUT i am thinking that you would have the spark set rite, i am just thinking out loud.

inside the bottom of that carb there are orifices and a secondary well that leads to the main jet and the cap jet. when you take off the bottom plug you say the fuel runs out but that does not mean those items are not free from obstruction. when you have the bottom of the carb off remove the cap jet, main jet, secondary well, and compensator jet. make sure the bottom of that well is clean AND that all the jets are clean. i have had carbs apart and back together so many time thinking that i had them clean just to find i missed something buried in one of those holes.

if the car is now off of the road just take your time, and don't try to short cut the fix.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #17
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
this is a good thing to check.
over years of use that point block cinch bolt will stretch the little aluminium block at the pinch point gap. you will tighten the cinch screw down tight and think it is ok BUT it may not be holding the adjustable points contact tight.
if you ever have this issue it is easy to fix. just run a thin hacksaw blade in the cinch gap to make it a bit wider and it will now hold the adjustable point contact tight.

that little block is also prone to crack. if it does then it needs to be changed.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:19 AM   #18
bavArian

-- Update --

Tested several things today, the gas cap was open for the fuel tests.
I'll just list everything up:

- Fuel flow at carb drain plug
The fuel flow is very high when opening it up with a closed fuel shut-off, the entire carb is dry within around 5 seconds. If I open the shut-off and let it run, it's not a steady stream but more like a steady dribble. Seems a bit low compared to testing the carb while having the bottom half removed. I'll try again with a new float valve, if the fuel flow increases that could be a part of the problem.

- Vacuum leak
Sprayed brake cleaner around the intake manifold and carb while having the warmed up engine idle. It did not rev up, instead the rpms dropped.

- Condenser
After provoking the problem out of town I stopped and removed the condenser. The engine seems to have more torque in low revs but the problem remained, couldn't feel a difference at mid to high speeds / rpms.

- Running rich / lean
While backing up into the garage I noticed that there's some black smoke coming out of the exhaust if I give it more gas. When running the carb dry inside the garage there's a lot of fumes after just a few seconds but I don't know if that's normal or not.

Also I took a look at the spark plugs when the engine was warm, they were dry but there was a lot of carbon build up on them. Changed them for new ones and maybe half a mile later already had a bit of carbon on the new ones too.

- GAV
Turning the GAV seems to not change much. To be honest there's barely any change when driving. Should there be a noticeable change when turning the GAV?

- Point gap
After the first or second high speed run the original points failed. The resin paper block probably got brittle and sheared off. Replaced it with a modern style distributor plate and points set from Werner (thanks again Werner )
If the new style distributer set is a possible error source I'll buy an original points set over the winter and switch it in spring, but I don't see why that should be an issue to be honest. Should I measure the point gap? (it's fixed and not adjustable)

- Timing
I've timed the engine at least 3 or 4 times since the problem appeared. I'm quite sure that's note the problem because advancing the timing doesn't help when it starts to miss, neither does retarding it actually.

- Carb
I'm sure the carb itself is clean, checked every pathway with a small wire as shown in the tutorial. I'll check the small hole in the secondary well but that looked clean as well.

Will do so when I disassemble the carb again to flow test the jets.

What I think at the moment is this:
Removing the condenser seemed to give the engine more torque in lower rpms, is that normal or does that point to a weak coil? Neither the condenser nor the new plugs did change the problem of it dying at higher speed.

With the carbon build-up on the spark plugs and the smoke from the exhaust the engine seems to run fine in idle but too rich when increasing the speed. I'll flow-check the jets in the next few weeks. (earliest test for the car is on March 1st anyway as it's a seasonal registration 03-10)
It could be possible that the inside of the jets were still slightly dirty before driving the car and the consistent stream of fuel cleaned them up, incresing their flow rate.
If it runs too rich it could well suck the carb dry when under high load and/or high speed.

Another thought I had yesterday would be stuck valves. Is it possible for them to start to get stuck open when the motor is turning fast and get unstuck when the rpms drop again? Seems highly unlikely though...

Last edited by bavArian; 10-31-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:26 AM   #19
old ugly

if adjusting the GAV does not change the running condition that leads me to think that you still have an issue inside that carb.
that GAV should change the way the engine runs.

you can check the compression if you think it is valves don't expect high compression on a model A. but im guessing not valves.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #20
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavArian View Post
-- Update --

Tested several things today, the gas cap was open for the fuel tests.
I'll just list everything up:

- Fuel flow at carb drain plug
The fuel flow is very high when opening it up with a closed fuel shut-off, the entire carb is dry within around 5 seconds. If I open the shut-off and let it run, it's not a steady stream but more like a steady dribble. Seems a bit low compared to testing the carb while having the bottom half removed. I'll try again with a new float valve, if the fuel flow increases that could be a part of the problem.

- Vacuum leak
Sprayed brake cleaner around the intake manifold and carb while having the warmed up engine idle. It did not rev up, instead the rpms dropped.

- Condenser
After provoking the problem out of town I stopped and removed the condenser. The engine seems to have more torque in low revs but the problem remained, couldn't feel a difference at mid to high speeds / rpms.

- Running rich / lean
While backing up into the garage I noticed that there's some black smoke coming out of the exhaust if I give it more gas. When running the carb dry inside the garage there's a lot of fumes after just a few seconds but I don't know if that's normal or not.

Also I took a look at the spark plugs when the engine was warm, they were dry but there was a lot of carbon build up on them. Changed them for new ones and maybe half a mile later already had a bit of carbon on the new ones too.

- GAV
Turning the GAV seems to not change much. To be honest there's barely any change when driving. Should there be a noticeable change when turning the GAV?

- Point gap
After the first or second high speed run the original points failed. The resin paper block probably got brittle and sheared off. Replaced it with a modern style distributor plate and points set from Werner (thanks again Werner )
If the new style distributer set is a possible error source I'll buy an original points set over the winter and switch it in spring, but I don't see why that should be an issue to be honest. Should I measure the point gap? (it's fixed and not adjustable)

- Timing
I've timed the engine at least 3 or 4 times since the problem appeared. I'm quite sure that's note the problem because advancing the timing doesn't help when it starts to miss, neither does retarding it actually.

- Carb
I'm sure the carb itself is clean, checked every pathway with a small wire as shown in the tutorial. I'll check the small hole in the secondary well but that looked clean as well.

Will do so when I disassemble the carb again to flow test the jets.

What I think at the moment is this:
Removing the condenser seemed to give the engine more torque in lower rpms, is that normal or does that point to a weak coil? Neither the condenser nor the new plugs did change the problem of it dying at higher speed.

With the carbon build-up on the spark plugs and the smoke from the exhaust the engine seems to run fine in idle but too rich when increasing the speed. I'll flow-check the jets in the next few weeks. (earliest test for the car is on March 1st anyway as it's a seasonal registration 03-10)
It could be possible that the inside of the jets were still slightly dirty before driving the car and the consistent stream of fuel cleaned them up, incresing their flow rate.
If it runs too rich it could well suck the carb dry when under high load and/or high speed.

Another thought I had yesterday would be stuck valves. Is it possible for them to start to get stuck open when the motor is turning fast and get unstuck when the rpms drop again? Seems highly unlikely though...
Bingo !! Your first test, dribbles with the gas line valve open, you should have a good flow like when you drained the carb bowl ! Remove a gas line fitting after the gas valve and blow compressed air back into the tank, you'll hear junk pop back into the gas tank!