Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
DKnapp

Default Dual Carb Options for Miller Over Head

I have three pairs of carbs and I would appreciate some advice on which ones to save for my Miller overhead. One of the pairs are 81's and another pair are 94's. The third pair are Strombergs, but I cannot identify them. I'm posting pictures of this third pair hoping for some help from those of you who know your carburators.

This may be a mis-matched pair. One has 1-1 P20671 31/32 on the throat and the other has B3 1 1/32 on the throat. I can't find any other identification on these carbs. Any help on these carbs???

So, which set of carbs should I save for my Miller? Have read threads that the 94's are too much carb for the Model A and other threads that the 94's were an improvement over the 81's.

Had a question about the Miller, so I added three pictures. The motor is a Model "B" with counter balanced crankshaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0287.jpg (74.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0290.jpg (78.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0288.jpg (39.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0289.jpg (37.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0291.jpg (48.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0292.jpg (42.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0295.jpg (51.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0293.jpg (48.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0294.jpg (61.2 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by DKnapp; 06-19-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: adding photos
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Dual Carb Options for Miller Over Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnapp View Post
I have three pairs of carbs and I would appreciate some advice on which ones to save for my Miller overhead. One of the pairs are 81's and another pair are 94's. The third pair are Strombergs, but I cannot identify them. I'm posting pictures of this third pair hoping for some help from those of you who know your carburators.

This may be a mis-matched pair. One has 1-1 P20671 31/32 on the throat and the other has B3 1 1/32 on the throat. I can't find any other identification on these carbs. Any help on these carbs???

So, which set of carbs should I save for my Miller? Have read threads that the 94's are too much carb for the Model A and other threads that the 94's were an improvement over the 81's.

The 1 1/32" should be 48 model, if this is Stromberg. Model 48 is the largest Stromberg throat of the that make. Whereas, the 81 model is the smallest throat, i.e.- that is .81 hundreds of one inch.

My opinion, you could use even two 48's on a well built engine with Miller OHV Head.

When you say 'it's a Miller', what are you going by to identify this OHV Head ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 06-18-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: ..........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Jim Brierley

Yes, the 1 1/32 are 48's, the 1 1/32 is the venturi size. It appears to be an early Miller, with much of the info ground off the cover. All of the carbs pictured are Strombergs, no Holley 94's are seen. 94's are newer, and maybe a better carb but are harder to tune when used in multiples. I would use any of the Strombergs. These engines will take big carbs, I have run three 97's on my OHV Cook, and currently run three 81's on my BRIERLEY flathead in my speedster, all have run well. For average street use, 97's may be the best choice, but any of them will work fine. IMO, two of the 81's are too small, but OK for touring. Stock jets will likely work the best.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
wensum

I'm running a pair of strombergs off an early Holden. These have had adjustable main jets fitted which simplifies tuning. The car runs well with these but for the moment I can't tell which model or what size
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
denis4x4

I’ve tried countless combinations on my flathead Model A and Model B with an original CRAGAR OHV, including EFI. Both engines are now equipped with Weber 32/36 two barrel carbs and have never run better. It’s my opinion that the new Stromberg 97’s from England are far better than the originals.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

I vaguely remember a 94 looking carb that had 1 1/16" Venturies. It was a 3 bolt base one, from a LINCOLN V-12. Most LINCOLNS had a 4 bolt mounting base. BUT, I "may" be WRONG--LOL, AGAIN!
Bill Tryingtoremember???
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Logan

If you’re spending the money to build up a B block and the Miller, spend the money and get two brand new 97’s. You won’t regret the money spent. I’ve probably installed close to 10 now and only had trouble out of one. I buy mine from summit. If you have a problem, you just send it back and they send you another one no questions asked. But if you want to rebuild originals, use the two 48’s for the Miller. Throw the 94’s in the trash.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
George Miller

I run a single 94 with a home made intake. I have used a Rochester 4 barrel from a 56 chev. on my home made Miller head. For just driving around the 94 works the best for me. with my Miller head.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

NWVS.ORG has a section on ALL KINDS of Overheads, even an UNIDENTIFIED "YELLOW" Head!
Bill Amazed
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
mollydog

I have a VERY stout "B" motor with a Miller OHV head. I found a pair of 97's work best for me and are easy to tune. Great street performance. At first I tried 94's that I had. Never could get that thing to run right. Sell them on Ebay, some guys love them.

Mollydog
mollydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
PC/SR

Bill: The 1 1/16" Holleys came out in 1955. Don't know how it would be on a Lincoln V12 but you find some strange things on old cars.
PC/SR is online now   Reply With Quote