Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #21
Tony, NY

Default Re: Car Lifts

If you want to read a lot of threads on lifts, go to Ryan's other site Garage Journal. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Tony, NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
VeryTangled

Hello everyone, these are my opinions:

If you get a two post, pay attention to the way it hooks up with the chassis, are they metal or rubber pads? I'd choose rubber for old cars, and you will likely need some extenders to get up off the lift arm as much as 9 inches to get a good hookup on some old cars with running boards (and new SUV's with the same). Pick a two post for working on cars, and a four post for double stacking.

Part of what I do is work at a community college auto shop and we have five newer rotary's, an ancient Weaver (all asymmetric two posts, overhead cable or chain drive), an ancient Benwill (symmetric two post with between the posts chain on the ground), an Omer (frame contact, scissor, drive-on), an older Wheeltronic, and two newer Hunter's (drive on alignment lifts with integral axle lifts). Where I keep the old car we have a pit, and a four poster (for double-stacking, with 14ft garage doors, higher cielings). Lifts are like airplanes, they can be excellent at some things, but never excellent at everything. I do most of the old car work over the pit but have been known to take it to the auto shop to get the brake rods off for straightening, and brake adjustments.

A two-post Rotary is a pretty nice solution for working on cars, but not so much for storage/double-stacking, but the ones we've got have the undesirable metal pads, I still need extenders for some larger modern vehicles.

Just my 2 cents.

-VT/JeffH

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-25-2013 at 08:38 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
Shadetree

Many thanks to all for the info on the car lifts. I have learned a lot from your comments and videos. My son bought 30X60 metal building with a concrete floor. It has a high ceiling but not sure it is high enough without some modifications. The previous owner is still moving equipment out. I am not sure of the concrete floor depth.

This thread just proves how great the Fordbarn members are. No matter what the subject is, you are willing to share your knowledge with those needing it.

Thanks Again
Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
JohnnyKeys

My name is John and I want to guide you on which lift is the best one for your garage. I hope this information helps.

I am in the installation and service department in JMC Automotive Equipment and have been working there for a couple of years now. We usually work with the Bendpak, Challenger, Dannmar and the John Bean Line from Snap-on because that is what we have in stock in our store and we also have installation contracts with Snap-on. All of these lifts are ALI and ETL certified and I have not had any problems with them outside of a missing part here or there in the delivery process but I can assure you these companies take care of it right away.

Now here is a detailed guide as to which type of lift you should get,:

Four Post Lifts
These lifts are great for a home garage and the smaller auto repair shop. They are great if you are looking to park your car there for an extended period of time because the car will be resting in the rails on all four wheels instead of being suspended by the middle of the car like in a two post lift and it is also great to do some minor repairs. You can also purchase these lifts with a rolling jack in order to lift the car of the rail so you can do some axle work and have the tire be up in the air. This type of four post lift is usually the smaller version of the bigger alignment machine and the most popular model in our store is the Bendpak HD-9 series. These lifts are very versatile, they can easily be moved by with the Portable wheel kit/caster kit and they also fit perfectly in a home garage.

Two Post Lift
Now the two post lifts are perfect if you are only going to use it for repairs and not for parking purposes. They take a lot less space than the four post lift and you will basically be able to do any repair underneath the car. The lifting capacity that you need for this lift is only about 10,000 lbs. Just make sure that you have the appropriate height in your garage so it can fit without a problem. Most of these lifts come with truck and van adapters so you would not need to purchase them, and you can also get the extra accessories like the frame craddle pads in order to lift the bigger cars like pick up trucks and big SUV's.

Four Post lifts: Parking purposes and small repairs
Two Post Lifts: Repairs only but takes up less space.

Delivery and Installation
It is not that hard to do the installation by yourself but I do have to warn you that it is very detailed oriented. I would recommend finding an authorized installer in your area and having him installing it. They can usually receive it in their warehouse, unload it off the truck with a forklift (A forklift is definitely needed in order to unload it off the truck), deliver it your garage and install it there. Usually the cost of this for either a two post lift or the smaller four posts lifts is anywhere from $600 to about $800. The difference in price varies depending on the installer and also what part of the country you are in. What we usually do and what I recommend is that you call every installer in your area and see who is the best and cheapest price. You can usually qualify them over the phone and see how much experience they have and how long they have been doing this for.

if you are looking to do it yourself then I would recommend having the lift delivered to a freight terminal close to your home. From there you can pick it up and bring it back to your garage to install it. Please follow all the directions in the manual that the lift comes and you should be fine.

I hope this helps and please feel free to call me or email me if you have any questions about which car lift you should get or installations.

John
JMC Automotive Equipment
[email protected]
JohnnyKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Bill Steiner

I use Rotary lifts in My Automotive shops. Bill
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Many thanks to all for the info on the car lifts. I have learned a lot from your comments and videos. My son bought 30X60 metal building with a concrete floor. It has a high ceiling but not sure it is high enough without some modifications. The previous owner is still moving equipment out. I am not sure of the concrete floor depth.

This thread just proves how great the Fordbarn members are. No matter what the subject is, you are willing to share your knowledge with those needing it.

Thanks Again
They make low clearance two post lift and I believe you need about 12 foot of clearance for a standard two post lift.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
jake197000

ive had a shop for 30 years tried different brands I think rotory is one of the best.frame contact type is more virsitile .you can still park a car under it.drive on is ok to but not so much for suspension and tire work.ive helped buddies install some of the cheaper ones at there homes.they work fine. just not as easy to use.eather way youll never wear it out with home use. you pretty much get what you pay for.buy the way I have a rotory 2 post at home.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #28
oliverguy

I wanted a back yard buddy. After seeing how much they are it was a byb or nothing. If you have a young family that is just way out of my range. Well I really needed one so I ended up with a Chinese one from e g smith on delaware. The welds are nice and it operates and is designed well. The hydraulic fittings were junk so I replaced them with Parker fittings. I use it about three times a month. They also sell domestic lifts and recommended this one as a good alternative. The brand is atlas.

I just could not aford or justify the extra expense especially something that is not usedevery day. Idon't really know what kind of parts you would need that I couldn't make or buy at a supply house. E g smith has all the parts and will even set it up. Even byb has an import life probably because the younger collectors simply can't afford their domestic product
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Robert Dip

I also looked long and hard at the lift choice. The final choice was the 'Direct Lift Pro Park 9 Plus' 4 post lift that holds my F350 Crew Cab Dually. The main reason for this was because I have the space, and I did want the 80" clearance when in full lift position. The other important factor for me was the width ( 97 1/2" drive-thru ) and about 14 1/2 feet in length between posts. With this, I can manipulate a car underneath it without to much problem....in from the back and out thru the side. If you have the space, this is a great choice. This unit is made in Asia, and I am astonished at the strength and quality. It is one tough and heavy lift, with 4 years of use without a hitch. ( no, I am not a dealer for them ) What's good is good and at the $2500 price I paid a few years ago, this was one of the best tool investments I have made. Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sept.22'07 034.jpg (60.4 KB, 40 views)
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #30
31chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hot Rod Grille View Post
Bud,

I've helped install a couple of "Backyard Buddies" and have been very impressed with the quality of the lift. Plus, it's made in Ohio, so you could go visit the factory and see how they are made. I personally have a Perfect Park 7000 (made in TX with USA parts) and have had no problems with it. I like the massive posts and how heavy the unit is constructed. Feel free to stop by the garage and check it out in person.

Jim
I also have a Perfect Park 7000 which I have had for 14 years now & never any problems, it is very heavily constructed & I do use it to park another vehicle under although my 31 chevy is too high for it.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote