Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 AM   #1
Owlseye

Default 37 engine in 34 truck

My 1934 BB large truck has a 1937 engine in it. What is the best way to correct the engine height and lower radiator hose alignment?
Honest Charlie's lists a cast swan neck to fit lower hoses and one of the other suppliers lists S shaped hose for the lower. Any thoughts?
Also some list different engine mounts or risers for them. After doing this will the radiator crank hole line up with the crank pulley?
Looks like I will have to pull the engine for some internal work so just trying to think ahead for parts and ideas. Thanks, John.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: 37 engine in 34 truck

easy would be to run block water plates and early engine mounts, heads and water pumps.

both are 21 stud. but you are already there?

great replacement block for early flatheads. everything 21 but with inserts and cam bearings.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-10-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
easy would be to run block water plates and early engine mounts, heads and water pumps.

both are 21 stud. but you are already there?

great replacement block for early flatheads. everything 21 but with inserts and cam bearings. .
I agree with what tinker is saying. That 37 engine should drop right in your truck with the correct components transfered...such as the correct 34 front motor mounts/water inlets, 33-36 heads with water pumps mounted in fronts of heads, 35/36 intake manifold with fan mounted to front pulley of correct generator. 33-41 distributor mounted on 3 bolt timing gear cover with a spacer between distributor and cam cover, IF 37 engine is using a short length cam, or their are several other choices for 2 bolt distributors from '42 crab, to 46 to 48 rabit ear distributors

Another option would be to keep the '37-'48 water pumps with Merc "U" shapped spacers between pump mount and frame.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
tubman

I have found that motor mount spacers can be easily made with a couple of chunks of 1/8" wall 2" square tube and a couple of proper sized bolts if you have a hacksaw, drill, and a welder. (The welder is optional). I like them better than the "U-shaped" ones, myself.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
mrmoose

[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmoose1/6890334828/in/dateposted-public/[IMG]
[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmoose1/7749398202/in/dateposted-public/[IMG]

Hope this works...haven't posted in a long long time. I have a '37 block with '34 accessories in a '34 pickup. These picks were also posted here long ago I think...

Last edited by mrmoose; 09-10-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added comment to pix
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
frnkeore

If your interested, I have a pair of '36 heads and intake. I'm replacing mine with aluminum but, you'll have to get the head mounted, water pumps and inlet/mounts. Oh and the block off plates but, they could be made.

Frank
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There are spacers made for this application, including the original ones Ford used when installing a later replacement block in the early frame. It is more than a height issue, the side to side spacing is different as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0000019357_0035000400.jpg (18.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg thP67ZOW00.jpg (9.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg thQSBB1MWN.jpg (5.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 94.jpg (24.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 88.jpg (21.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 09-10-2019 at 04:37 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
Owlseye

JSeery I think your answer is what should have been done many years ago, likely the 60's, when the 37 or newer engine was put in.
The previous owner used metal spacers with a long bolt thru everything.
This is going to be just the tip of the iceberg as I got the engine freed up today and find the #3 rod is not attached to the crank. Now to pull the engine. The engine has the crab style distributor on it. A friend has a good 49 flathead with upright dist. Will the 49 engine fit and work with the BB's trans? Thanks again this is going to be a long project.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Owlseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post

[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmoose1/6890334828/in/dateposted-public/[IMG]
[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmoose1/7749398202/in/dateposted-public/[IMG]

Hope this works...haven't posted in a long long time. I have a '37 block with '34 accessories in a '34 pickup. These picks were also posted here long ago I think...
They still work just have to load them manually rather then click on them. Love your furry helpers. We have 4.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlseye View Post
JSeery I think your answer is what should have been done many years ago, likely the 60's, when the 37 or newer engine was put in.
The previous owner used metal spacers with a long bolt thru everything.
This is going to be just the tip of the iceberg as I got the engine freed up today and find the #3 rod is not attached to the crank. Now to pull the engine. The engine has the crab style distributor on it. A friend has a good 49 flathead with upright dist. Will the 49 engine fit and work with the BB's trans? Thanks again this is going to be a long project.
It will fit, but you will still need to do some modifications. First, you will need a '49 to early '51 Mercury (stamped steel) or '48 to '52 Ford (cast Iron) bellhousing to bolt the transmission to the engine. (These are not too hard to find; I have a couple if nothing else is available). You will also need the proper clutch disk to go with the existing pressure plate and transmission. Then, you will need a set of '48 to '52 truck water pumps to have the proper motor mounts (you may also need the aforementioned motor mount spacers to get everything in the proper alignment; I used '50-early '51 Mercury (currently very hard to find) water pumps when I did it and I needed them). After that, it is the ordinary stuff with no room with the fan, incompatible throttle and choke linkages that we all have to fight with. Also, there is a size difference in the upper water outlet sizes. There are 8BA water outlets with the larger hose size (quite expensive), but most people cut a short length of the smaller hose to fit inside the larger hose required by the '34. On last thing is the the 8BA lacks brackets for the "steady bars" on the '34 chassis (good to have). There are brackets available to bolt on an 8BA, or if you're handy, you can easily make your own.

It's all been done thousands of times before, so if you decide to do it, all of the information you will ever need is available here and on the H.A.M.B.

Good luck with your truck.

Last edited by tubman; 09-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
Tinker

[QUOTE...haven't posted in a long long time....[/QUOTE]

That's an understatement. Hope all is well with ya and yours.

To the thread poster... I'd think about getting rid of the 4sp truck transmission if you are doing a later swap. Less that's what you want. Save the motor you pull. Sounds like it is useful to someone. at least there is some great parts there.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
mrmoose

Hi Tinker, we're doing well. Sent you a note.
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
Hi Tinker, we're doing well. Sent you a note.
Good to see you posting again Jeff. Hope all is well with you and yours.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
cas3

not mentioned yet, if you use the later water pumps and motor mount brackets as jseary shows, you will then use later 8ba lower radiator hoses which have a slight curve to get you over the cross member and into the radiator. try to get the height to match the crank hole if you make your own mounts
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #15
Owlseye

Well things just changed a bit. After cleaning the engine and heads I find that I have a 59 block with 59a and 59ab heads. So does that make this a 1946 engine? The truck still has the original 4spd trans with matching chassis number BB18-513999. It is set up as a single wide belt engine, fan on the end of the generator, crab style distributor. How in the dickens do you get the lower bolt out of the water pumps with it inside the lower hose flange? This is my first Ford flathead and I am confused as to what years all the parts are and what will interchange. Thanks for the help and understanding.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #16
Mart

Lower pump bolt. Good quality six sided 9/16" socket, or a 14mm knocked on if a bit undersize.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #17
cmbrucew

Hope this works...haven't posted in a long long time. I have a '37 block with '34 accessories in a '34 pickup. These picks were also posted here long ago I think... Last edited by mrmoose; 09-10-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added comment to pix

mrmoose
Nice to see you posting again.

Bruce