Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
ABento

Default 29 sport coupe windlace

I looked thru a bunch of the windlace posts and one made mention of the rivits that hold the windlace cover on the A pillar, this car had # 8 machine screws and nuts holding the metal cover on, that didn't seem right and the top 3 on each side under the A pillar cover were missing so I'm thinking that those must have been threaded to # 8 machine so I retapped to # 10 so now I think I'm wrong all the way around, so the small split rivits are what holds the cover to the pillar will they squeeze tight enough to keep the cover from squirming around on the pillar.

Thanks
Aaron
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 29 sport coupe windlace

Aaron, originally windlace (A-50394 Coupe Pillar Windlace) was installed along with a brown paper cover (A-45376) which wrapped the windlace after it was installed to keep the windlace from being covered with paint overspray during painting. The vertical metal Retainer was installed with 5/32nds Tubular Rivets which ultimately was painted body color.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
ABento

Thanks Brent, I kinda wondered about the painting part but I was guessing the old style brass split rivits and they would not show up too much if put on after painting, what came with the kit was stainless, so everything came apart and those got put in, another lesson learned.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Tinbasher

Great info Brent. Makes sence when you think about it, that they covered the windlace and installed it before painting. Where did you find that great info? John
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
Great info Brent. Makes sence when you think about it, that they covered the windlace and installed it before painting. Where did you find that great info? John
Hmmm, I guess I just spend a lot of time at the Benson Library researching part numbers & processes. I do try to go a minimum of 4-5 times a year and generally spend from 2-4 days there each time. Quite honestly, my eyes and brain become weary after 2-3 days of just looking and my adrenaline is on tilt where I am exhausted at the end of the day.

As for the process, I write down topics I want to research on an excel spreadsheet so that I can remember them when i get there. I begin my list by using the part number of the assembly drawing that I typically see in the original Parts Books. Only after the assembly drawing is found will it list the part numbers for the components used in the assembly. Sometimes those components will be sub-assemblies that you break-down the components list even further. A good example would be a Generator. When you look at the A-10000-B Generator Assy, it will list all the components including parts like the A-10005 Generator Armature. Once you look up that drawing, you will see other sub-items such as the Insulators, Insulation, Spider, the A-10010 Armature Core, etc. Then those might even be broken down further with Foundry drawings and then Machine Shop drawing. Each has its own info. for each department or supplier. On each of these prints, there typically is EI (-Engineer's Information) numbers listed at the top right of the drawing that allow you to pull those EI sheets for explanation of the drawing or procedure. This in a nutshell is why it is so difficult to do research outside of the library. I hope this answered your question John.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
Tinbasher

Thanks Brent that's quite the challenge to take on. First Time I've hear of Benson Library. I'll be looking into that. In Canada the archive was at the Ford Plant and Head Office in Oakville Ont. There was a fire in the late 60's and everything was lost that pertains it Canadian cars. A few interested Model A'ers have gathered info over the years but it's been quite the Journey. I've been helping trying to identify 13 Canadian Colours. So far I've found a cross reference to 2 of them, The man I'm helping found the first one. Hassan Red. I found Carmine Cream and a Burgandy that I'm trying to find a original colour to confirm. John
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
Thanks Brent that's quite the challenge to take on. First Time I've hear of Benson Library. I'll be looking into that. In Canada the archive was at the Ford Plant and Head Office in Oakville Ont. There was a fire in the late 60's and everything was lost that pertains it Canadian cars. A few interested Model A'ers have gathered info over the years but it's been quite the Journey. I've been helping trying to identify 13 Canadian Colours. So far I've found a cross reference to 2 of them, The man I'm helping found the first one. Hassan Red. I found Carmine Cream and a Burgandy that I'm trying to find a original colour to confirm. John
It appears you are closer to the Benson Ford Research Center (Library) than I am. You should definitely go. A lot of prints there on microfiche that pertain to Canadian and export Model-As.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com