Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Fech

Default Electronic distributor for 1939 Ford 1/2tn pick-up

Hello,
Does anyone have installed 3 bolt electronic distributor?
I found one that says distributor "ready-to-run" unit that does not require a control box.

Where the truck is located there are not many spare parts for the original distributor, neither mechanics that know how to fix or calibrate it.

What other options of ignition systems do you recommend for 12v?

Happy New Year to all !

Last edited by Fech; 01-06-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Fech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Electronic distributor for 1939 Ford 1/2tn pick-up

Before going to electronic you need to know the make and type. If you ever need parts you need to know where to get them. If you go electronic you should carry a spare point distributor with you just in case the electronic fails.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
Fordestes

TJ, gave sound advice , I have used several different versions of the electronics and magneto's, I am planning on going back to plain old points, we are talking flathead ford here not nascar, a good rebuilt dist. should get the job done, you always can learn the quirks of the point system and most likely make it home if there is a problem with ignition, but first use quality parts in order to avoid problems to begin with, there are a few good rebuilders here on the barn that do top notch work and won't steer you wrong, if you insist on electronic my vote would be for a pertronix unit from the price and dependability standpoint ,first make sure your charging system is in good condition and I personally would avoid any electronic system if you are running a generator regardless 12 or 6 volt due to voltage spikes ( not saying all will fail with a generator but voltage spikes can increase the probability of problems), it's just one less possibility of something going wrong ,the parts are still available for points and doubtful you will notice any difference on a stock engine if all components are working as they should . Just my opinion. good luck, I have a couple of new electronic dist. I never have used if you are interested.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Fech

Thank you for the response Guys,
What model and brands do you recommend?
The pickup has alternator, so 12V is Ok.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Fech

What about the following:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1932-...tor,11999.html
Old 01-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Fordestes

I would expect you would need to check the advance , sometimes they are set to a curve not suitable for a flathead ford, it says use Mallory replacement parts.is it a generic Mallory? I don't have any personal experience with that unit so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #7
deuce lover

delete

Last edited by deuce lover; 01-07-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: wrong info
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
supereal

Be aware that some electronic ignition systems are affected by poorly controlled system voltage and under hood temperatures, reducing performance. At our shop we have removed some of those to resolve problems.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
deuce_roadster

I was going to say I have seen problems with the voltage variations coming out of a generator on the Pertronic units, but you have an alternator and 12 v so with good grounds and connections that shouldn't be a problem but as others have said, a properly set up point style distributor will go for many thousands of miles.
If you do go electronic, carry a ready to bolt on spare as the electronic ones rarely give you any warning, it either works or it doesn't.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
Fech

Thank you all for the helpful advice.
We would like to keep the original points helmet distributor, but where the car is located there is not a place near where to find parts neither a machine to calibrate timing the dizzy.
How can I check that the truck doesn't have voltage variations to avoid issues with the electronic distributor?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #11
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fech View Post
...We would like to keep the original points helmet distributor, but where the car is located there is not a place near where to find parts neither a machine to calibrate timing the dizzy...
FedEx, UPS, USPS are your friends. Send your distributor to Skip Haney or Michael Driscoll or Charlie Schwendler and have one of them do a proper job.
You can do a search on this web site for their contact information.
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #12
Bored&Stroked

There is nothing wrong with a helmet distributor, but you may think about converting over to a crab style as an option. They're just easier to work on in my opinion (and most others).

You can also convert a crab style over to Pertronix - which many folks have found to be a great solution. If I switched over to an electronic ignition - would probably have a spare set of 'parts' in the trunk.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Ronnieroadster

Pertronix now makes a conversion for the Helmet distributor its a simple conversion that works perfectly every time. Recently I installed this new conversion in a helmet dist it went together nicely. Pertronix makes it available for 12 volt or 6 volt. The operating voltage required is not so critical with the Pertronix design if you have a 12 volt alternator or generator the conversion will work fine.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote