Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
chesapeake bill

Default fuel leak .. Now what ..

So, this car is coming out of storage from southern Calif. ( 4dr TWSN- Murray) .. check the tank out, cleaned the bowl and put in 1/3 of a gal of fuel in tank.. and let it flow.. what I learned was 1 .. the bowl need a new gasket... but luckly the main ful tank looks to be in good shape.. vey very little sediment in bulb.. but the main line had a slight leak where it comes out of the bowl, I tightened it up and it got much better.. then the carburetor body started to show a fuel soaking around the inlet tube. it slowly got worst until the whole carb was fuel soaked and started to drip.. question is what to do next? do i need to rebuild the whole thing? new gaskets or what? It was rebuilt before it was put away in the garage 40 yrs ago.. Any Ideas on what i should do next ?
chesapeake bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
chesapeake bill

Default Re: fuel leak .. Now what ..

it's a zenith carb.. also I brought a miro filter for the bowl and a new screen..
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
mass A man

Bill, It sounds to me you have a fuel line nipple problem. Best bet is to order a new line that comes with new fittings and nipples. (firewall bulb to carb.line). Once that gas line is tampered with time and again, the little brass nipples become grooved and cannot seal anymore no matter how tight you crank down on the fittings. Please see older posts here on Fordbarn about setting the distance of new nipple on line where it attaches to carb. This is very important.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

The carb probably need to have a new bowl gasket and maybe check the needle and seat while the bottom is off. I have stopped a steel fuel line leak by tinning the end fitting on the inside of the bevel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
CJH

We just went through the same problem with our Town Sedan.
We tried three or four sets of old fittings and could not stop the leak at the fuel inlet of the carb.
We got a new line with the fittings installed and have had no problems since then.

The sediment bulb is made of such soft metal it is another source of frustrations.

Good Luck

Chris
Old 08-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
chesapeake bill

Ok, so I changed out the fittings and it stopped the leaks from the fittings and line.. Thanks.. you can see from the photo that no fuel is soaked around the fitting inlet, however the rest of the carb is soaked in fuel and it's dripping (although every slowly a drop every 3-4 minutes) My question is do I need to take the carb apart and replace the gaskets? they have sat for so many years without fuel in the carb? I really don't want to rebuild it if I don't have to .. it was rebuilt just before storage in 1970..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1444.jpg (39.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

It only take a couple minutes to take the carb apart, unless you have stuck jets. I'd at least take the bottom off and check the bowl gasket and the needle and seat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote