Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #141
Rusty Homestead Fl

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

Way to go Midgetracer! It's a fine thing you did for a nice lady, her A and yourself.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #142
Ross/Kzoo

We haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks. Is there any progress being made since the motor seems to be turning over a little?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #143
Tom Wesenberg

Funny you should mention that, because I was going to ask the same thing last night, but got sidetracked and forgot.

I was wondering if all the valves are unstuck, so all cylinders have compression.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #144
BetsyModelA

Hi All,
Betsy here. Just a little update. I took some time off - poked myself in the eye cleaning out the lilac bushes. Next time someone offers protective eyewear I'm using it. Now, back to Betsy. Since midgetracer turned the motor over for me, I take delight in turning the crank everytime I come and go from Betsy's garage. I soaked the gas valve in carborator cleaner and reinstaled the gas line. Cleaned out the gas tank with that same type of cleaner. I have water/antifreeze for 37 degrees below, and put fresh oil in the motor. Now then, I'm having a bit of trouble lining up the starter for a remount. I cleaned the starter (on the outside) and put it into place. My problem - can't get the bolts to go in. So, I'm soaking them in carborator cleaner over night. I'll go back to trying again tomorrow. My, that starter is heavy! My husband tried to help as well. Neither of us could get those bolts to enter the hole for it. I'll clean bolts and the mount well tomorrow before trying again. Hey, I'm getting closer to putting in a new battery, new spark plugs, and giving the starter a try. Wish me luck! Betsy
BetsyModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #145
[email protected]

Please make sure you put the starter bolts back into the same spots they came out of. If you use the longer starter bolts in the wrong holes it may jamb into the flywheel. Common mistake often made.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #146
Mad Mac

Aaaahhh! So that's why there was an almightly clunketty cklunk noise from my bell-housing when I drove my restored A for the first time. It scared the bejaysus out of me! I was all set to start dismantling things when the noise just went away and never recurred and that was about 20,000 trouble-free miles ago. So what did I break off that didn't matter? I have wondered about that ever since!
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #147
Ross/Kzoo

I would suggest running the bolt in and out of their holes without the starter until they do it smoothly. How freely does the motor turn over?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #148
BetsyModelA

Thanks for that important suggestion, [email protected], I will sure compare the three of them more closely. They look alike, but there must be something different about them. I didn't pay attention to difference in the bolts when they were removed assuming they were alike. Thank you, too, Ross/Kzoo, I will do that too. The crank moves ever so smooth. It has a free flow, but with some resistance. I'll be putting the bolts into the starter today. And, I'll follow these suggestions given. Betsy
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #149
BetsyModelA

Thank you, Mad Mac, for sharing your experience. I'm hoping for no noise (only the sweet sound of Betsy's motor) when I put the starter back in. Wish me luck.

Last edited by BetsyModelA; 09-27-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #150
midgetracer

The engine turns over real smooth. There is plenty compression for a startup based on the "thumb over the spark plug hole" test. I think a startup is in the near future. Hang in there Betsy Model A.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #151
BetsyModelA

My husband and I mounted the starter today. After having soaked the three bolts for 24 hours in carburator cleaner, wiping them clean, doing a practice entrance, seeing which one fit best where, Lynn held the starter in place while I put the first and closest bolt into place, the other two were a piece of cake. I finished that part by connecting the starter foot pedal. Next week, I'm taking my old battery in, have it tested, then replace it with a new one. Next, I'll get some new sparkplugs. Lastly, I'll buy some new gasolene. I'll be driving Betsy before long. Special thanks to midgetracer, my backup expert for Betsy.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #152
700rpm

You want to put the shortest bolt in the hole closest to the block. Turn your engine over with the crank after mounting the starter to make sure that back bolt isn't locking up your flywheel. The engine should turn over with the same resistance as when the starter was not installed.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #153
silversink

I've been lucky----didn't notice the difference. Now I will have to pull the bolts to see.
silversink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #154
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversink View Post
I've been lucky----didn't notice the difference. Now I will have to pull the bolts to see.
Most of us has done that at least once. LOL
Old 09-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #155
BetsyModelA

Thanks guys. I was forwarned of putting the wrong bolt in the wrong place and hitting the fly wheel. In checking the bolts they look as though they were all the same size. Reluctantly I put them in, and then turned the crank thinking I'd hear a noise, none came. I was much releaved. Perhaps, some Model As have different sizes, then I see there could be a problem if not assembled correctly. Mine was easy! Betsy lucked out!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #156
Tom Wesenberg

Unless someone changed the mounting bolts, all 3 should be the same, 3/8" x 1" with a lock washer under each.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #157
700rpm

That's interesting, Tom. I don't remember ever working on an A where one bolt wasn't shorter than the other two. But it could be I wasn't paying close attention until somebody warned me about it.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #158
BetsyModelA

Tom, I concur. The 3 bolts appeared to be the same size with a lock washer.
Upon being warned of different size bolts, After inserting them, I turned the crank, gently, and listened for a possible cklunk or metal on metal, but it didn't happen. Whew!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #159
BetsyModelA

An update for those interested in Betsy: got new spark plugs, took out the old battery anticpating puttin in the new one. I'm in the process of taking out the current battery box that's rusted through. Ordered a "new" one. The nuts and bolts are rusted tight. Have sprayed penetrating oil on them, leaving them sit a few days, then I'll try a good socket set on them. Wish me luck in the switch. BetsyModelA
Old 10-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #160
partridgekelley

I have dealt with a few 'stuck' old engines and the only thing I would advise is drop the pan and loosen or remove the bearing caps. A couple of the engines would have been good engines if I hadn't just forced it to turn over=the bearings and crank had worked on each other to keep it from turning. If you open it up and the bearings and journals are OK you might have saved a good engine. Than you work on the pistons.
GOOD LUCK!
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote