Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
SDJason

Default No spark - traced the problem to the distributor, but what now?

Hi all,

Long story short - my Town Sedan won't start (no spark), and following Les Andrews' ignition system troubleshooting chart on page 4-5, I've traced the problem to the distributor: at step 5 "Turn ON ignition switch and test for 6v on the open point arm.", I don't get 6v.

Unscrewing the armored cable and checking it, I read 6V - so somewhere within the distributor I assume there is either a short or a break.

My question is:
Is it necessary to remove the distributor from the head to get access to the lower plate? My concern is having to reset the timing - my engine is not lined up properly with the crankhole, so I don't know how I'd be able to set the timing without being able to crank the engine manually to TDC. I guess alternatively asked, what would you recommend doing in this situation?

On a related note - I guess I just got lucky getting home a few weeks ago - oh well, you win some, you lose some…

Thank you very much,

Jason
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: No spark - traced the problem to the distributor, but what now?

You can remove a couple of plugs for less compression, remove timing pin rotate engine by hand using tension on the belt to set the timing pin on top dead center. Remove cam on top of distributor turn top plate to slots will pop up spring underneath so you can check the wire for a short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dizzy.jpg (44.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Be sure to check the condensor as it may be shorted. As for the distributor position, take careful note of the rotor location or put the car in gear and push to move the engine (with plugs removed).

One can also purchase a wrench from the vendors that is used to move the engine or one can puschase a box wrench that fits the crank nut at a discount house and bend it to fit.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
700rpm

Why don't you get that crankhole problem addressed? It's usually not hard, and typically has to do with your front motor mount springs. Then you won't be sweating timing troubles in the future.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

You can put the tranny in high, then roll the car forward slowly until the trailing edge of the distributor rotor is in line with the edge of the distributor contact for any cylinder. Now shift to neutral and be sure to not turn the engine. Now you can remove the distributor can and work on the plates, then put the distributor back together with the rotor in the same position as when you took it apart and the timing should be the same. Just be sure you lightly turn the rotor clockwise to remove any freeplay, just as you did when you rolled the car forward. To remove the lower plate, you need to remove the condenser first. Maybe the ignition cable is screwed in too far.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
SDJason

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thank you for all the tips and hints.

Quick update - I made careful note of the upper plate location in relation to the distributor body and the cam location in relation to the upper plate (with a little help from the Sharpie corporation). I was also glad that I acquired a Nurex wrench awhile ago.

Taking everything apart didn't reveal any obvious problems, so I put everything back together, slowly, and took a voltage reading at every step of the way.

With the distributor put back together (except for the condenser), everything was fine.

As soon as I installed the condenser - not so fine - no voltage on the point arm.

Just the act of putting the condenser in caused a short - which remains after the condenser is removed again.

So - have to tear it all apart again and mull this over. I think I'll take a coffee break and get back to it in a half hour or so...

Last edited by SDJason; 05-13-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
SDJason

IT'S ALIVE

After tearing everything apart again, I looked carefully at the geometry of the tab on the lower plate that the condenser screws into, and judiciously bent it to what I eyeballed to be a correct angle.

Re-assembled everything slowly, taking voltage readings along the way, and warily reinstalled the condenser. NO SHORT!! YAY!!!

Checked for spark (yes, it was there), then tried to start the car - success on the first try.

Thank you everyone for your help - this newbie learned some things just by going through the act of disassembling & reassembling the distributor and seeing the innards for the first time. I've also decided that my toolkit in the car should have a few more additions to it.

On a side note - during the course of troubleshooting this, I discovered that a former owner had wired things quite differently from standard - and I took the opportunity to putting things back to what they should be, should someone need to trace the wiring in the future.

THANK YOU...I think I'm going to take a Sunday drive now...
Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
peters180a/170b

I had something like that a few weeks ago. BAD coil wire to dist.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote