Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Chris

Default Installing windshield on 1941-1948 Ford- sealant?

Hello all, I am ready to install a new windshield in my 1946 Coupe. I have done a few earlier cars before, I know about lube and the rope to pull the seal over the pinch weld. My question is, I assume the deluxe stainless goes on AFTER the seal is pulled? I tried looking this up online but found conflicting information.

And also, I want to use a sealant on the front and rear window to be sure they will not leak. Has anyone found a good way to inject a sealant into the glass/seal/body area that works well? I was thinking of modifying a needle used for a grease gun?

Any help or hints are appreciated.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
rust runner

Default Re: Installing windshield on 1941-1948 Ford- sealant?

I to would like to know the answers regarding the stainless and a sealant used as i'm going to be doing the glass in mine in the not to distant future
rust runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Old Henry

I just got a squeeze tube of silicone sealant and squoze it in between the seal and glass after it was all installed
Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I just got a squeeze tube of silicone sealant and squoze it in between the seal and glass after it was all installed
I did the same , and just wiped of the excess that oozed out .
I believe that I used a sealant made for windshields made by Permatex .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
19Fordy

DO NOT USE SILICONE SEALANT OR URETHANE SEALER. Find out why and what to use in thread below. Read all the info. in the thread below including the "links". Then do a SEARCH on
Windshield Sealant and How to Install a Windshield to glean extra pertinent information.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...shield+sealant and
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...all+windshield

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Chris

Thanks 19fordy. That thread also said the stainless trim must be installed before the windshield is installed in the car?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
37 truck

Chris, it's not an old Ford, but when we do older VW's, we install the trim to the rubber with the glass before installing in car. Then its the rope trick.
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
19Fordy

Chris, I don't know for sure about the stainless strip install, but it makes sense that the stainless would be installed first. Others may know for sure.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
Chris

Ok thanks guys.

19fordy- on that other thread you said to not use sealer while installing the windshield. What about using some after it's installed, like some have mentioned here?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
Graeme / New Zealand

I'm pretty sure when the auto glass merchant installed my glass the stainless went on after. Also they placed sealant between the rubber seal and the car body as well as the glass (after). There was a problem with the molding slightly overlapping which caused a problem when trying to put the centre divider on. I ended up grinding a whisker off the ends. The glass was a re-cut off an older piece which was a re-cut so the sizing may have been slightly off original

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ok thanks guys.

19fordy- on that other thread you said to not use sealer while installing the windshield. What about using some after it's installed, like some have mentioned here?
As I recall, I applied the sealer in the rubber groove that fits the metal and a very light coat in the groove where the glass fits. Then I installed the rubber with the glass. The idea was to prevent glass delamination in future. After glass with rubber seal was installed I wiped away the excess that squeezed out using mineral spirits. Using silicone or urethane will not give you this "window" of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3740 (Small).jpg (56.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-07-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
supereal

The bright metal trim goes into the rubber gasket after it is in place. The best sealer is a 3M product made for the purpose. First, mask off the gasket edges before using the sealer,as it is almost impossible to remove if it sets on the paint. Pull the edge of the gasket and apply the sealer just enough to coat the rubber surface before you press it back against the body. Carpenter had a very good pictorial in one of his old catalogs regarding windshield replacement. If anyone wants a copy, I have it in my computer file.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

There is a product that comes in a screw lid can, they also have a pump that fits the can with a needle nose on it that will fit between the W/S seal and the body as well as between the glass and the seal. If my information is correct the stainless mldgs go in the rubber before installing the glass. Don't think it is possible to get them in after the W/S is installed. Don't think it is a good idea to use silicone. The product with the pump is a 3-M product. Next time I am out in the shop I will look and get the number for you.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
There is a product that comes in a screw lid can, they also have a pump that fits the can with a needle nose on it that will fit between the W/S seal and the body as well as between the glass and the seal. If my information is correct the stainless mldgs go in the rubber before installing the glass. Don't think it is possible to get them in after the W/S is installed. Don't think it is a good idea to use silicone. The product with the pump is a 3-M product. Next time I am out in the shop I will look and get the number for you.
Marvin, The 3M sealer in the pump can has not been available for a number years.
That was my favorite windshield sealer, always worked & easy cleanup.
I still have the pump and a couple of cans that are dried up. I always check the swap meets for some unused cans.
Do you have any extra ?

About the sealer. Now I use the 3M window setting compound that is in a caulking tube. Works good but is a messy cleanup. I use a flat plastic pry too lift the seal while injecting the sealer with a caulk gun. I do it alone but would be easier with a helper.
Also on the '42-'48 windshields with the SS trim, I put the trim into the rubber before pulling the rubber into place.

Last edited by 42merc; 01-07-2017 at 10:04 PM.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
TJ

Napa Auto Parts still carries the black sealant for windshields. it's part # 4121. It comes in a small tube and the tip is small and easy to get behind the rubber gasket.
After I install the gasket I mask off the area around the gasket before applying the sealant. It makes for a much easier cleanup. You can clean up with mineral spirits or naptha.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
supereal

The 3M sealer comes in a small tube. It has been years since I saw the pump can.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #17
Marvin/TN

Marvin, The 3M sealer in the pump can has not been available for a number years.

I have not needed it in several years so wasn't aware of the fact it isn't available now. I still have most of a can of it. I am in the process renovating my old Collision Repair Shop inside and out. I found my can of the sealer while going through my paint and supply cabinets and found my old can. I disposed of half a pick up truck load of paint etc. And no I didn't just dump it, I carried it to a Haz waste disposal place. Since I will need that sealer for my 46 I guess I had better keep it.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #18
Marvin/TN

It is best to pull the rubber over the pinch weld from the inside not the outside. I have never done or seen one pulled in from the outside.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
flathead48

I have installed two windshields in 48 Fords and I put the stainless in after the installation. I have never tried putting the SS in first but I would be afraid of damaging it. A old parts catalog from Dennis Carpenter shows the steps and he shows SS last and no sealant just liquid soap so it will go in easier. You do need a second person to hold it in from inside the vehicle while you pull the string on the outside. Hope this helps.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #20
fordor41

I installed my W/S with the rubber seal only first on my '41. Then cleaned the stainless GOOD and applied some grease to the flange that fits into the seal. Started at the top corner and pushed the trim into the seal, worked to the bottom corner , then toward the center. It popped right into the seal easily. has been in and out twice with no damage to the seal or stainless.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote