Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Redbird

Default Rebuilding a cowl light

I have a couple used cowl lights that I would like to rebuild. The wiring is shot, but I see you get get pigtails. One lens "LES" and the other "S.G.CO.". Are either of these original? The reflectors are also very tarnished. I am soaking the lamp connector in Evaporust to clean up. Gaskets are also available. Any pointers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0067.jpg (40.9 KB, 41 views)
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Rebuilding a cowl light

I have been collecting and researching A lamp glass for years.

The cowl lens marked L.E.S. was made under contract in PA. for Ford during the A era. The lens marked S.G.CO could possibly have been made by the same company but that glass puntil ('bug') was not in common use during the A era. "SG" was used by at least four other eastern American glass producers. I would have to see it in much greater detail to evaluate its origin. Likely a later copy.

The design patent for the diffuser pattern on the cowl lenses you have was NOT directly held by Ford. It was owned by McKee glass Co. in Jeannette, PA. I have both design and use patent data, drawings, post-patent changes, and misc. history and 'dirt' on all the lamp glass used by Ford during the A era.

If you would like to know more I will be presenting a seminar that covers this as well as a lot of other headlamp related stuff at the MAFFI Model A day event this Sept.
LINK
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote