Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
Heavy Duty

Default !@#$%^&*

I have been writting replies to E mails sent to me and only one has gone through. Would someone explain in detail what this computer ignorant person should do to answer people who are trying to help me. Thanks HD
Heavy Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: !@#$%^&*

I always send a PM asking for the email address and then converse using email account, not Fordbarn. Makes it easy to send photos too.
JIM
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Mart

Fordbarn has been down for day or so. Some data has been lost. If you mean personal messages rather than emails your messages may have drifted off into the ether. If in doubt resend any messages.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Heavy Duty

I hope you get this as i very much wish to reply to your attempts to help me as well as others. Jim whats a PM? An Email address?
Heavy Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
texas webb

Click on the users name,select send a private message.and type your message.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
I hope you get this as i very much wish to reply to your attempts to help me as well as others. Jim whats a PM? An Email address?
PM is Private Message, it is within the Barn messaging. It is similar to posting on a thread on the Barn, but only goes to one person and the reply only comes to you. If you look at the area to the right just above the red bar you will see Welcome, then your online name then down two lines Private Messages.

If you are referring to actual emails with an email address someone gave you, that would be totally separate from the Barn.

If you are using the Send Email tab under the online name posted on the left of a post, it may have to do with the recent issues with both the HAMB and the Barn, but it is a feature I have never used myself.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
tubman

To get down to basics; there are two ways to send someone a message. The first of these is what is called a PRIVATE MESSAGE (PM). It is a function that is internal to the Ford Barn, so it works only between members of the Barn. It is completely different from an email and is completely independent from email. The second way to send someone a message is to have the Ford Barn send a regular email over the internet to someone who is a member of the Barn. For this function to work, the receiving member has to have provided the Ford Barn with their regular email address.

The best example of how this works is to try to send a message to someone who has posted to a thread. Move your cursor over the member's name on his post, and left-click. A sub-menu will appear that will have five choices as follow :

View Public Profile
Send a private message to Tubman
Send an email to Tubman
Find More Posts by Tubman
Add Tubman to Your Contacts

Choosing the second or third item on the list will allow you to send a member a message using method selected. Essentially, you will be directed to a screen where you can type in a message. It is important to remember that after you have finished typing your message, you will have to move the cursor over the the box that says "SEND" and left click it.

If you do that the message will be sent. If you have selected the second item on the list "Send a private message to...." any replies will appear in your Ford Barn inbox. When you get a response, the "Private Messages" in the upper right corner will appear in red rather than black. Click on it to get to your Ford Barn inbox. Your new reply will be right on top, and all you will have to do is click it and read it. If you select the third item on the list, "Send an email to ...", things can get a little more complicated. The recipient of your message will receive it in his regular email mail box with all of his regular emails. If they respond to you, they can do it by either a Private Message or a regular email (I have had both), so you'll have to keep your eyes open in both places (your Ford Barn PM inbox and your regular email inbox).

I think that's about it. I believe the confusion arises in that there are two different ways to communicate using the Ford Barn" and sometimes people get them mixed up.

EDIT : Oops, "JSeery" beat me to it, and more succinctly, I may add!

Last edited by tubman; 11-18-2017 at 08:30 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The don't use the Barn email feature, I have always ask for an email address with the Private Message feature. I can see how things could go crossways with the Barn email approach, such as no email on file or a change in email from what is on file. It may work fine, but just not something I use. One thing I don't like about the Personal Message feature is the limited (as in lack of) ability to include attachments.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote